Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

“Junk food” banned from schools July 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: “Junk food” banned from schools July 1
    Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:11pm

Hello fruits and vegetables! “Junk food” banned from schools July 1

video

INDIANAPOLIS — School leaders are getting ready for a big change in school food service.

The USDA’s Smart Snacks in School rules go into effect July 1, 2014. In short, all “junk food” in vending machines, a la carte lunch, student stores and fundraisers such as bake sales will be banned July 1.

“I think that’s great!” said Betsy Hunsucker, a Brownsburg mother. “I think kids would love fruits and vegetables.”

Fruits, vegetables, dairy, protein-rich foods and whole grain-rich foods are allowed.

Water, milk and 100 percent fruit and vegetable juice is permitted. High school students can have caffeine and low-calorie carbonated drinks.

There are also rules when it comes to nutritional values like calories, sodium, sugar and fat.

“I’m afraid that parents have spoiled their children so much with the choices that they allow them to make at home that the kids will turn up their noses to the nutrition,” said Hunsucker.

Some schools, like Brownsburg, have already started. They have been compliant with grades K-5 since Christmas break, and have been slowly introducing older students to items like baked chips.

Katie Sherven, the director of food services for Brownsburg Schools, says they’re really excited about their plans to put a “garden bar” in all of their schools next year.

As for the possible impact on fundraising, Sherven says fortunately for them, many of their fundraisers do not revolve around food, like the Fun Run and Dog Jog.

She said she’s met with all Brownsburg principals about the guidelines for vending machines and any food-related sales.

Schools that don’t comply face hefty fines or loss of federal funding.

Not all parents think it’s a great idea.

“I like the way it’s done now because they have fast food one day a week,” said Vicki Masters. “They are in Plainfield and they have a lot of choice. They have things that they actually will eat so they do get food in them to go through their day. There are things they just won’t eat. They’d rather not eat than eat something they don’t like.”

The USDA guide on the rules is 54 pages long, but these are the basics:

Ingredient Rules
Any competitive food sold must be a:
a. Fruit
b. Vegetable
c. Dairy product
d. Protein-rich food (meat, beans, poultry, seafood, eggs, nuts, seeds)
e. Whole-grain rich food (first ingredient is a whole grain or product is 50% whole grains
by weight)
f. Combo food that has at least ¼ cup fruit and/or vegetable
* Exception until July 1, 2016 – A food is allowed if it contains a minimum of 10% of
the Daily Value of calcium, potassium, Vitamin D or fiber
Nutrient Standards
All competitive foods must meet each of the following nutrient limits:
a. Calories
• Max 200 calories for snacks and sides
• Max 350 calories for entrees (outside the school lunch program)
b. Sugar
• Max 35% sugar by weight (some fruit exceptions)
c. Sodium
• Max 230mg sodium for snacks (200mg after July 1, 2016)
d. Fat
• Fat: Max 35% calories from fat (as packaged or served; some exceptions
for reduced fat cheese and nuts apply)
• Sat fat: Max 10% calories from fat (as packaged or served; some exceptions
for reduced fat cheese and nuts apply)
• Trans fat – 0g as served
Beverage Rules
All grade levels may sell:
a. Water or carbonated water; unflavored low-fat milk; flavored or unflavored fat-free
milk and soy alternatives; and 100% fruit or vegetable juice. Size limits: 8 oz for
elementary schools & 12 oz for middle and high schools.
b. High schools may also sell lower calorie flavored and/or carbonated beverages
that meet the following rules:
a. 5 calories per 8 fl oz, or 10 calories per 20 fl oz; and
b. 40 calories per 8 fl oz, or 60 calories per 12 fl oz.
c. Note: caffeine only permitted in high schools

If students have access to the teacher’s lounge, the same rules apply in the teacher’s lounge.

State agencies will monitor compliance.

Sponsored Links

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:13pm
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:15pm
*doesn't eat at school*
*goes home and eats three dinners*
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:19pm
works for me.  Kids are too fat right now.
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:33pm
I doubt kids are getting fat because of what they eat at school.

On another note, a new school hustle just opened up. And suspensions for the war on snacks.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Apr 16 2014 at 2:36pm
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

I doubt kids are getting fat because of what they eat at school.

everything you eat goes towards weight gain...coupled with lack of physical activity.  There was hella junk food at my school.
Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:36pm
"If students have access to the teacher’s lounge, the same rules apply in the teacher’s lounge."

now i gotta go outside to get a snicker
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:39pm
Of course the school made them fat, it has NOTHING to do with the 2 bowls of fruity pebbles, french toast sticks and bacon, before school . The chips, juice boxes, lunchables and "fruit snacks in his lunch or the McDonalds nuggets, fries, pizza rolls, nachos, pizza, and milkshakes he eats at home while he plays xbox, and watches 5 hours of cartoon network . 

Nope , those darn schools.... I mean he or she had to rob banks for $$$ to put in there right??

I already warned JR, I will not be hunting down husky Levis so he can try it if he wants too. 
KottonKandy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KottonKandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:46pm
They need to do this in NY. I was there and I couldn't help but notice all the black/Hispanic kids were chunky chunks. As soon as they got off the bus, they hit up one of the thousands bodegas on the block.  It needs to be at home, school, neighborhood. I wasn't in the richest nyc area. 
Up&Out39 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Up&Out39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:46pm
Good. It needs to start somewhere. Just because home is where they eat junk food mostly, does not mean the school should sit back and do the same. That's a ridiculous mindset. I'm all for taking the lesser of two evils out of the equation. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic