Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Josephine Bakers Rainbow Tribe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 10:53am
I wonder if any of the children are alive today- someone should do an interview on what it was like growing up RAINBOW
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 10:57am
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

I wonder if any of the children are alive today- someone should do an interview on what it was like growing up RAINBOW

theres another article i only posted the link because its 5 pages long

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/adopting-the-world-josephine-baker-s-rainbow-tribe-a-652613.html

The last time all 12 children were together in one place was in 1976, shortly after the death of their famous mother. Even in the last year of her life, Baker, to earn money, performed on a Paris stage, wearing a sequined dress and a towering feather headdress.

The children never wanted to be celebrities. They live ordinary lives -- working as gardeners, greengrocers or insurance agents. Child number eight died of cancer 10 years ago. Child number 11 became schizophrenic and now lives in an institution. Some of the siblings married and had children, while others remained single.

None of them adopted children.

"We are completely normal people," says Akio Bouillon. He and his siblings want to feel like a family, not a project.

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

This is old news folks.

She was one of the firct civit rights activists ... and thst was waaaay before the Black Power movement etc ... so she was pretty much alone in this struggle. Ya'll should read her Biography. When she died 20,000 frenchmen attended hrer service and the French honered her with a 21 gun salute.

As far as her being homophoboic - geesh everyone was homophobic back then.

Can't judge her reactions to things we think nothing of today ... those were different times.

Read her biography. She was the FIRST Black female International star and ran with the likes of Langston Hughes, Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Pablo Picasso, Christian Dior and many, many more.

There are numerous stories of her being bisexual herself which makes her homophobic treatment of her son bizarre.
Lonisha87 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 11:34am
How is a bisexual woman homosexual? wtf, I thought it was cool she had the kids but didnt know about how they were treated, sad
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 12:02pm
A lot of people feel like dabbling in the same sex is okay for women but a nono for men. Well on BHM at least.
macyscorner View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote macyscorner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 12:36pm
Interesting she was homophobic considering this:

Baker was bisexual. Her son Jean-Claude Baker and co-author Chris Chase state inJosephine: The Hungry Heart that she was involved in numerous lesbian affairs, both while she was single and married, and mention six of her female lovers by name. Clara Smith, Evelyn Sheppard, Bessie Allison, Ada "Bricktop" Smith, and Mildred Smallwood were all African-American women whom she met while touring on the black performing circuit early in her career. She was also reportedly involved intimately with French writer Colette. Not mentioned, but confirmed since, was her affair with Mexican artist Frida Kahlo. Jean-Claude Baker, who interviewed over 2,000 people while writing his book, wrote that affairs with women were not uncommon for his mother throughout her lifetime. He was quoted in one interview as saying:"She was what today you would call bisexual, and I will tell you why. Forget that I am her son, I am also a historian. You have to put her back into the context of the time in which she lived. In those days, Chorus Girls were abused by the white or black producers and by the leading men if he liked girls. But they could not sleep together because there were not enough hotels to accommodate black people. So they would all stay together, and the girls would develop lady lover friendships, do you understand my English? But wait wait...If one of the girls by preference was gay, she'd be called a bull dyke by the whole cast. So you see, discrimination is everywhere."
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic