Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jordan Davis Next "SYG" Trial, 1 BLK JUROR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 24>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
purple.chuckz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple.chuckz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 8:25am
You should all be reading Ta-Nehisi Coates

On the Killing of Jordan Davis by Michael Dunn

TA-NEHISI COATES
More

I wish I had something more to say about the fact that Michael Dunn was not convicted for killing a black boy. Except I said it after George Zimmerman was not convicted of killing a black boy. Except the parents of black boys already know this. Except the parents of black boys have long said this, and they have been answered with mockery.

Jordan Davis had a mother and a father. It did not save him. Trayvon Martin had a mother and a father. They could not save him. My son has a father and mother. We cannot protect him from our country, which is our aegis and our assailant. We cannot protect our children because racism in America is not merely a belief system but a heritage, and the inability of black parents to protect their children is an ancient tradition. 

Henry "Box" Brown, whose family was destroyed and whose children were trafficked, knew:

I stationed myself by the side of the road, along which the slaves, amounting to three hundred and fifty, were to pass. The purchaser of my wife was a Methodist minister, who was about starting for North Carolina. Pretty soon five wagon-loads of little children passed, and looking at the foremost one, what should I see but a little child, pointing its tiny hand towards me,  exclaiming, "There's my father; I knew he would come and bid me good-bye...” 

Spare us the invocations of "black on black crime."  I will not respect the lie. I would rather be thought insane. The most mendacious phrase in the American language is "black on black crime," which is uttered as though the same hands that drew red lines around the ghettoes of Chicago are not the same hands that drew red lines around the life of Jordan Davis,  as though black people authored North Lawndale and policy does not exist. That which mandates the murder of our Hadiya Pendletons necessarily mandates the murder of Jordan Davis. I will not respect any difference. I will not respect the lie. I would rather be thought crazy.

I insist that the irrelevance of black life has been drilled into this country since its infancy, and shall not be extricated through the latest innovations in Negro Finishing School. I insist that racism is our heritage, that Thomas Jefferson's genius is no more important than his plundering of the body of Sally Hemmings, that George Washington's abdication is no more significant than his wild pursuit of Oney Judge, that the G.I Bill's accolades are somehow inseparable from its racist heritageI will not respect the lie. I insist that racism must be properly understood as an Intelligence, as a sentience, as a default setting to which, likely until the end of our days, we unerringly return. 

Sponsored Links

india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 8:54am

Suprise the dog was found guilty on any count . First degree Murder clearly . TG he will go to prison .

CNN) -- It was a hot-button trial that drew comparisons to the proceedings against George Zimmerman in the killing of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin. The outcome, however, was vastly different.

The jury in the case of Michael Dunn found him guilty Saturday night on four charges, including three of attempted second-degree murder, but they couldn't reach a verdict on the most significant charge -- first-degree murder in the death of 17-year-old Jordan Davis. The decision came on the eve of what would have been Davis' 19th birthday.

"It was too long before victims' voices were heard," Florida State Attorney Angela Corey, who also prosecuted the Zimmerman case, said after the verdict.

"Justice for Jordan Davis is as important as it is for any of our other victims," she added, saying that the Zimmerman

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 12:26pm

sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 3:30pm
Am I seeing this right? Was there are mistrial? I'm waitching bits and peices of the trial verdict on my phone.
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Am I seeing this right? Was there are mistrial? I'm waitching bits and peices of the trial verdict on my phone.

Mistrial on the murder charge. Guilty verdicts on the attempted murder and firing bullet charges. Faces up to 75 years in prison.
Katrenia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katrenia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 4:00pm
Dunn still faces at least 60+ years in prison on the lesser counts.
Dunn can face life in prison if convicted on the first degree murder charge after retrial.

Edited by Katrenia - Feb 16 2014 at 4:03pm
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 4:09pm

Thanks AFB for sharing this simplistic, yet powerful cartoon!

Edited by trudawg - Feb 16 2014 at 4:11pm
Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 7:46pm
^^That cartoon speaks the truth!
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple.chuckz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 7:56pm
  1. We recent immigrants are often useful idiots in the story America tells itself about the end of white supremacy.

Expand
    •  Retweet 
    •  Favorite 
    • < ="" ="btn- with-icn dropdown-toggle js-dropdown-toggle js-tooltip" aria-haspopup="true" style="color: rgb221, 221, 221; font: inherit; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 8px; overflow-x: ; overflow-y: ; text-trans: none; -webkit-appearance: ; cursor: pointer; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; : transparent; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; -shadow: none; font-size: 12px; "> More
  • American history isn't good news. It is a series of conflicts between versions of white supremacy. This is the country those conflicts made.

Expand
    •  Retweet 
    •  Favorite 
    • < ="" ="btn- with-icn dropdown-toggle js-dropdown-toggle js-tooltip" aria-haspopup="true" style="color: rgb221, 221, 221; font: inherit; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 8px; overflow-x: ; overflow-y: ; text-trans: none; -webkit-appearance: ; cursor: pointer; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; : transparent; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; -shadow: none; font-size: 12px; "> More
  • Slavery is presented as narratable, available, triumphant, rather than unspeakable, incomprehensible, unfinished.

Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote purple.chuckz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 8:02pm
    Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
    House of CB London
    Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
    The Elite Hair Care Sorority
    Electric Cherry Hair
    Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
    Human Hair Wigs
    Wefting Training
    Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
    Brazilian Hair
    Brazilian Hair
    Switch Up your Look with a protective Style