Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Jet Magazine goes ALL DIGITAL

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Gemini26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemini26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jet Magazine goes ALL DIGITAL
    Posted: May 07 2014 at 12:38pm
I hope this isn't a repost...How do you feel about Jet Magazine going all digital next month?

JET magazine, the digest-sized sister publication to Ebony magazine and the No. 3 magazine in the African-American market, will cease print editions on June 30 and go digital-only.

Johnson Publishing Co., the 72-year-old Chicago-based owner of Ebony and JET, announced Wednesday that JET magazine will be available through a $20-a-year subscription app.

The weekly digital JET magazine app will work on all tablet devices and mobile platforms, said Desiree Rogers, chief executive officer of Johnson Publishing.

The app will include new features such as video interviews, 3D and digital maps and photography both in breaking news and from the magazine’s archives. Breaking news will be updated daily.

JET’s print schedule had previously been reduced from a weekly edition to every three weeks because the printing and postage had become cost-prohibitive, company spokesman Keith Estabrook.

In addition, JET, a 700,000-circulation magazine heralded for chronicling the early civil rights movement, will publish a yearly “Best of JET” print edition and will continue to operate its website, JETmag.com.

“This allows Johnson Publishing to have different configurations under one umbrella — the JET magazine app, JETmag.com, the print Ebony magazine and Ebony.com,” Rogers said. “We’re reaching customers where they want to be reached in whatever distribution channel they want to be in.”

The decision to create a JET magazine app has been three years in the making and comes as digital readers are skewing younger, Rogers said.

JET’s readership is 40 percent male and 60 percent female with an average age of 36. JET is much more of a quick read, featuring issues impacting the community and wedding announcements and R&B playlists that appeal to the entire community, she said.

Rogers said Ebony will continue as a print publication because it’s a longer, more “pictorial” read.

JET’s print subscribers who decline digital JET subscriptions will be given the option of switching their subscriptions to Ebony magazine.

Linda Johnson Rice, chairman of Johnson Publishing Co., said in a statement, “Almost 63 years ago, my father, John Johnson, named the publication JET because, as he said in the first issue, ‘In the world today, everything is moving faster. There is more news and far less time to read it.’”

“He could not have spoken more relevant words today,” Johnson said. “We are not saying goodbye to JET. We are embracing the future as my father did in 1951 and taking it to the next level.”

Kyra Kyles, formerly a senior editor of JET magazine and digital managing editor of JETmag.com, has been appointed the digital editorial director for JET online, which includes both the app and the website.

Email: sguy

Twitter: @sandraguy

Personally, I'm saddened by this news.  I know this is the digital era, but I think this is a bad move.  For years my older relatives have subscribed to Jet.  I can remember always going to my aunt's house and seeing a Jet magazine on the coffee table.  What about the older people who don't have internet access?  What about all of the people that used to tear out the Jet Beauty of the week and hang it on their wall? 

I don't mind e-books and digital magazines but at least give me the option. Sometimes I just want to feel the pages...Cry
Sponsored Links

femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 12:50pm
my grandma is the only one that still buys JET

...this is what a lot of papers and magazines have to do, i just wonder if anyone will read it online

bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 12:51pm
print is dying, duh.
Gemini26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemini26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 1:30pm
I rarely buy it but I'll miss seeing it at the checkout stand when im in a store that carries it, or on an older relatives coffee table. I get why they're doing it, but I definitely won't be reading it online....

Edited by Gemini26 - May 07 2014 at 1:35pm
MizzAmirah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MizzAmirah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 1:34pm
I guess I won't be reading it in waiting rooms anymore. #KanyeShrug
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 1:57pm

what will people break their weed on?
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 2:23pm
I haven't seen one in years but good move, Jet.
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 2:36pm
Page 43

:hardendatass:
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 3:45pm
Oh noes what will i peruse when sitting buck naked in a paper gown waiting for the doctor to come in the room
NuAttitude View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuAttitude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

what will people break their weed on?

LOL A box top or record album cover.Wink
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake