Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jay Z's Brand Is Suffering Because People Don't
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jay Z's Brand Is Suffering Because People Don't

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 2.71  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 11:32am
Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

Personally, I loved Magna Carta
BBC, Heaven, FUTW, Somewhere in America, Nickle & Dime are my shiiiitt

and those are just my favs off the album...i really loved the album

U can't listen to Nickle & Dime, Somewhere in america, Jay Z Blue, Oceans etc and tell me the nicca aint got substance to his music

His flow on BBC and On the Run, I lovedd...but then again i just love Jay's style and always have

I like all the same songs. I like this album more than the some of his others, but not the most.

Where I disagree is that his substance is like fake substance. It's like sweet and low instead of sugar. He just says things that could b....ok, here's an example: the oil spill line in oceans. Come on jay. U don't care. Plus like 59365 more important things have happened since then that u failed to mention. It's like he only talks about safe or overly done subjects. It's fake, but just real enough to look like he cares.

I'm a jay-z fan and I've been only lukewarm lately. I'm hot for beyonce though. It's weird comparing their appeal.

I think jay just needs to stop saying Basquiat like that's the only black painter he knows. That's another example of him being fake deep.

Kanye does the same thing. I think his friendship with kanye cooled me off a little too. When they do songs together my face is mugged up the whole time. I just side eye their whole operation.

Congrats to a rich black man though. I still f.uck with him, just not all the way the long way anymore.
Sponsored Links

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 11:37am
lol

thats probably because that IS the only black painter he knows

which he owes to swiz beats

SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 11:50am
basquiat >>>>>
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 11:52am
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

Personally, I loved Magna Carta
BBC, Heaven, FUTW, Somewhere in America, Nickle & Dime are my shiiiitt

and those are just my favs off the album...i really loved the album

U can't listen to Nickle & Dime, Somewhere in america, Jay Z Blue, Oceans etc and tell me the nicca aint got substance to his music

His flow on BBC and On the Run, I lovedd...but then again i just love Jay's style and always have

I'm a jay-z fan and I've been only lukewarm lately. I'm hot for beyonce though. It's weird comparing their appeal.

I think jay just needs to stop saying Basquiat like that's the only black painter he knows. That's another example of him being fake deep.

yup yup....i don't believe his enlightenment is genuine
and his Barney's alliance....bleh....releasing a PR statement about a "board" blah blah blah

Edited by EPITOME - Dec 29 2013 at 11:55am
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 11:53am
Jay panders for "substance cred" more than any mainstream rapper I know.... He's been doing it ever since Nas, Rosie Perez, Oprah, and the Journalist ethered him in that 2001-2003 time period where he was considered a bad guy.  You can tell that really got to him (and the case where he was on trial for stabbing Un) because then he became so motivated to show people 'hey, i'm not a bad guy. I'm smart and charitable and deep too.'

I put dollars on mine, ask Columbine
When the Twin Towers dropped, I was the first in line
Donating proceeds off every ticket sold

When I was out on the road, that's how you judge Hov, no?
Ain't I supposed to be absorbed in myself?
Every time there's a tragedy, I'm the first one to help
They call me this misogynist, but they don't call me the dude
To take his dollars to give gifts at the projects

Edited by Random Thoughts - Dec 29 2013 at 11:57am
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 12:46pm
lol

i dont know if i'll be able to articulate this the way its in my head but fucck it

i think the disillusionment with jay that his core fans have is that jay is in a position to change the perception masses have of mature rappers. and yet he fails to do so.

has jay grown over the years? yes he has. he has shown a lot of growth between 96-06. after that its almost kind of a regression of sorts. however, the (sort of) reluctance to age, dress and act (rhyme) the senile petulance and the 'fucck you im jay' arrogance (harry belafonte), the false concern (trayvon martin) and the desire to be the 'niche' negro all point to him a having a midlife crisis.

like the article states even his endorsements lack conviction. its almost as if he is feeling the weight of his education (lack of) and age and is overcompensating on all fronts. jay should not need to name drop at this point is his career. he is at that point where he is the one who should be name dropped. its almost as if he isnt concerned with ownership and legacy building (like kanye and nick cannon for example) than he is about being paid to stand next to product and cheese.

he has been rapping about been the number 1 negro for almost 20 years and rapping bout been the exclusive negro with the exclusive things (whats the line again where he says this is one of one?) which has become a young boys game. furthermore, his main audience continues to mature and their mindsets are changing. we're in our thirties and forties now, we arent too concerned about popping bottles etc.. we are thinking investments, retirement plans trust funds etc etc etc.

he is a classic case of rap's main gripe with age and its unhealthy fixation with youth.

Edited by afrokock - Dec 29 2013 at 12:49pm
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 12:56pm
Maybe I'm different but I don't listen to Jay's album or any other artist's album to specifically motivate me...i don't look to them to address social issues, etc...if they want to, cool, if not, then ok too

I like Jay because lke I said every time I listen to his albums I know where he is in life....and while some of his "im rich I made it" songs are good, i fall in love with his songs that have a msg....like the songs I mentioned from Magna Carta...those songs stay on repeat more than anything else 

While it's nice to be idealistic and say rappers/entertainers need to use their platform to do this, that and the other...it's up to them, i don't feel like I can be mad about it if Jay doesn't mention every thing I find important. It's his life, he can pick and choose what he wants to rap about..i don't begrudge him for those things

As for the Barneys thing, I swear he renegotiated the contract so that rather than 75% (or was it 25%?) of proceeds going to the Shawn Carter Foundation, the whole 100% is going and Barney's doesn't get a lick? Yea it would've better if he cut ties but I also like this approach

Edited by mrshairdo - Dec 29 2013 at 12:57pm
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 12:58pm
mrshairdo, I'm curious. Were you a fan of Jay before him and Beyonce became linked?
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

mrshairdo, I'm curious. Were you a fan of Jay before him and Beyonce became linked?

yup! sure was
I grew up with a lot of hip hop in my house (my older brothers) so yea I was familiar with him from reasonable doubt and I liked him...but I became a really really big fan after dynasty and blueprint

I've followed his career for a long time so I've seen/heard him grow

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:01pm
the nig.ga is old and stale
honestly he should stop rapping and do other sh*t---idk...go play with Blue and go make Pink and Green with Bey
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic