Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

japanese straightener & hair's talent review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: japanese straightener & hair's talent review
    Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 11:29am
after having bad experience after bad experience on my relaxer days, (resulting in my battle against under processed and protein overload) I sought out to find a healthy hair salon. I stumbled upon Hair's Talent, but they were all the way in Connecticut. I eventually decided to go though, and am very glad I did! I don't think my hair ever looked so good, and my hair always feel healthier after a trip to HT despite going for chemical processes.   

she, gina rivera, corrected my hair using mizani lye for color-treated hair, genius! the salon stylists also rinses the hair for 15-20 minutes to make sure all the chemical or protein from reconstructors is rinsed. their relaxers and japanese straighteners come with deep conditioners and trims.  they shows the customers how much they are going to trim before she does. the atmosphere is multicultural. the list goes on...

hair's talent is one of the only salons that know who to do japanese straightening on kinky textured hair. when done proper, japanese straightening is much healthier than relaxers due to it being a milder chemical. and according to her and other kinky haired clients, there is no line of (big word that starts with d. xp) and there are no need for flat-irons or blow driers with japanese straightened hair. you only have to straighten the new growth when it grows out. japanese straightening also can only be done once to twice a year because you need at least 3 inches to do it. this can be a good thing or bad thing depending on the person. when I went to get my hair relaxed, gina was telling me how my hair would be a good candidate for the japanese straightener, but the price is what was setting me back. it can range from $500-1000 or something. after thinking about it, I decided to do it! my price was reasonable, $550, and I'm probably only going to do it once a year. I just got the process done nov. 23, and so far I'm loving it! the roots of my hair are so much smoother and shinier. my relaxed length does not tangle as easily either.

pictures! japanese straightened roots and relaxed length

after blow-drying. side angle
 after blow-drying, top angle

after flat-ironing, back view                           side-top angle

only when it's flat ironed you can barely see a difference between the js and relaxed hair.

Edited by yahya - Dec 04 2012 at 8:19am
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 12:47pm
that read like an advertisement for Hair Talent. 
KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 2:07pm
Is the rest of your hair chemically relaxed? As in lye/no lye. Wow, Japanese straightening looks pretty effective. What's your natural hair like?
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 8:19am
@tatee, oh, I didn't mean for it to. but isn't a review basically like an advertisement? I guess I'll change the topic name.
@nindroid, only my roots are japanese straightened. you can see the difference best on the first picture. and I'm not sure of my exact natural curl pattern, i just know it has two different hair types and is in the 3b-4a range. but hair's talent can do japanese straightening on all hair types, including 4b-c. 
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 9:46pm
I know two ladies that used to get them, one was Puerto Rican and the other was white and Spanish..they had really thick hair so they would get it done every summer. It looked like a regular relaxer to me and it didn't seem to last too much longer. The price would definitely make you wait/stretch longer..but I wasn't wowed by it. The humidity seemed to affect their hair as it would someone with a regular relaxer.
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2012 at 12:58am
Originally posted by khivey khivey wrote:

I know two ladies that used to get them, one was Puerto Rican and the other was white and Spanish..they had really thick hair so they would get it done every summer. It looked like a regular relaxer to me and it didn't seem to last too much longer. The price would definitely make you wait/stretch longer..but I wasn't wowed by it. The humidity seemed to affect their hair as it would someone with a regular relaxer.

But Japanese straightening usually keeps your hair straight for a year, no>?
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2012 at 9:58am
@khivey, are you sure you're talking about japanese straightening? if you're sure, their stylist did it improperly. js is permanent like relaxers, you only have to touch-up the new growth. and relaxers "relax" the curl while js actually straighten the hair. it doesn't have the personality of curly hair anymore, like with relaxed hair. after your hair gets wet it stays and dries straight, humidity isn't suppose to affect it when done correctly. also my japanese straightened hair is noticeably shinier and doesn't need as much product as my relaxed hair. 

just like how they're many stylist that don't know how to do relaxers properly, they're many stylists that don't know how to do js properly. you have to find a salon that cares about hair health.

Edited by yahya - Dec 05 2012 at 10:44am
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2012 at 10:48pm
Yes, I'm positive it was the Japanese Straightener because I hadn't heard of it before they told me about it. The first time you get it is lasts longer than when you continue to get them. It wasn't anything special. Not sure if they got it done correctly or not, but that was just what I observed. 
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 4:33pm
" The first time you get it is lasts longer than when you continue to get them." When you get it again, why doesn't it last as long? I mean, I know hair's talent japanese straightening isn't like that because I've seen other customers who have been doing it for years, and it's completely permanent. But can you explain more about how it's not as long lasting the second touch-up, with other salons?

If anyone wants to do japanese straightening they have to research their salon first! As we know, a lot of salons know barely anything about hair. That's why it's a misconception that js is impossible to do on kinky hair. I'm not advising anyone who's interested to just go to a random salon that does japanese straightening.

here's  informative videos:

in the second video:
she isn't wearing gloves because the chemical is milder.
she is only applying the straightener on the roots, and than protectant on the rest of the length.
and she flat-ironed the hair twice because that is part of the process. 
the way the hair looks after being blow dried is how the hair will always look, even after getting wet.

Edited by yahya - Dec 06 2012 at 4:36pm
KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 6:30am
So yahya, what are your plans for the rest of your hair journey? Gonna keep thermal straightening and transition out of relaxed hair?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>