FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Jamaicans...help me out!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jamaicans...help me out!
    Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 8:41am
March is reading month, and my school is doing "read around the world"...every class was given a country, and mine is Jamaica.

Can you suggest any easy dessert recipes that I can make for my class?

Can you remember any games that you played as a kid that I can teach?

Any info you give is really helpful... This morning, Our project presentation was moved up two weeks so I will be observed tomorrow.
Sponsored Links

Brjasuga51 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brjasuga51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 8:44am
Game Ludo or DominoesSmile
Easy dessert...amm bread pudding...one sec

• 1 lb day-old white bread (preferable hardo bread)                                 
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar                                   
  • 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon               
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg                    
  • 1/4 cup rum
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 5 eggs (beaten well)
  • Method
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
    2. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish with butter.
    3. Line the baking dish with wax paper
    4. Remove the crust from the bread
    5. Break up the bread into small portions. 
    6. Combine the bread, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, rum, raisins, and melted butter in a mixing bowl. 
    7. Pour into the baking dish.
    8. Mix the condensed milk, eggs and whole milk
    9. Pour this over the bread mixture in the baking dish. 
    10. Place the oven
    11. Bake for 1¼ hours. You can test if it is baked by inserting a small knife in the middle until it comes out clean. 
      erve warm or cool.
    12. Best served with Ice cream or whipped cream.
    13. Serves 6 to 8

Edited by Brjasuga51 - Mar 13 2014 at 8:48am
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 9:10am
    That sounds good, thanks!
    Yardgirl View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 9:25am

By the way, instead of chilling the dough for 3 hours, you can just use ice cold water.

Edited by Yardgirl - Mar 13 2014 at 9:46am
    nitabug View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 9:57am
    I would just fry ripe plantain. They wouldn't know the difference.
    Diane (35) View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 10:08am
    Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

I would just fry ripe plantain. They wouldn't know the difference.

Smart as hayle!!! LOL you could actually kinda bake the plantain with a little simple sugar and cinnamon too. 

ETA Games. Mostly centered around ring games (you find the traditional english one's too),hand clap games, hitting a ball etc. I've found some links explaining

Dandy Shandy (oh jesus when the juice box was filled with stones!)Cry (cock up is a ten and tips is a out) http://www.jamaicans.com/childsguide/childrengames.shtml

A Brown Girl in the Ring
    Bull in the Pen http://www.jamaicans.com/culture/intro/childgames.shtml

Those who are born in January Skip around
    Bruck Rock Stone (MADDDDDDDDDLOL) http://jahmykah.blogspot.com/2013/01/some-jamaican-ring-games.html Scroll to the bottom  song but kids dont sing it so slow ly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlWvrrT77fo

Hand Clapping
    Tweet-tweet-tweet (rockin RObin)

English Games
    Ring around the Rosie
    Farmer in the dell
    London Bridge is Falling Down (MADDDDDDDD) - 2 students forms the "bridge" facing each other with their arms above their head (touching) the other students will run under and around the bridge while the song is being sung, when it get to the point of "cut off her head with a knife"  the bridge falls down and that student will be "out"

Ring Games
    What can you do Punchinella Little Fellow? http://www.cool-kids-jamaica.com/kids-fun-games.html
    S-T-O-P (BADDDDD, Diane would always go to the last two)
    Bull in the Pen (Hold hands in a Circle, the angry bull is in the middle and tries to break the chain, while you taunt him or her by singing, bul in a pen you cant come, RPTX1000000000) if he breaks the chain that person becomes the bull. 

With a leader of Sorts
    On the River, on the bank
    Simon Says
    Mother May I? (Mother is at one end of the room, children opposite from her. Each child ask Mother may I, take 3 giant steps(or umbrella spins etc etc) ? MOther either says, yes you may or no you may not and give alternate instruction) The point is to reach Mother and take over However because someMothers are such cheaters they stay giving the worst instruction (1 baby step, 3 steps back)

Red light, Green Light (same set up as above, but it is a faster game) The person at the stop says alternates between red light and green light indicating if the others should move or stop But there back is turned to the other at the green light command but when it is red light they turn around anyone they see moving (sometimes even a little quiver)Ouch is taken out of the game. Aim: reach the top and take over as the "caller"

Bend Down Stuckie (Tag)
    Hide-and-seek

Ketchie Shubbie (catch it, throw it with a ball and bat)

Chinese Skip (never got past the knees SMDH) made using elastic bands https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRfR3otcuYQ Minus the wining

Edited by Diane (35) - Mar 13 2014 at 11:22am
    miana79 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miana79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 11:02am
    D/P

Edited by miana79 - Mar 13 2014 at 11:04am
    miana79 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miana79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 11:04am
    If it aint jamaican black rum cake, nobody wants it.
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 5:03pm
    Thanks so much for the suggestions on food...I think I'm going to go with fried plantains and maybe the bread pudding... What is hardo bread? I think I can make 2,batches of the pudding and stretch it by doing really small portions in cups.

I think we are going to talk about when Jamaica got its I dependence and what the flag colors represent. Then either make tie dye shirts in the colors (which i can tie into science), or maybe something easy like make a bracelet. I don't have any other ideas for projects.

Ugh I hate scrambling at the last min. Keep the ideas coming!
    Diane (35) View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 9:56pm
    No it isn't pudding like that. It is a cake-like but not
    the first 3 lines of pictures

What ages I wished you had told me you needed project ideas, Mommy is a teacher.

Edited by Diane (35) - Mar 13 2014 at 10:03pm
    Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
    Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
    Glam Twinz
    Weave Connection
    Human Hair Wigs
    Wefting Training
    Brazilian Hair
    Brazilian Hair
    Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic