Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedIve got questions...PLEASE have answers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
hairtanstic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ive got questions...PLEASE have answers!
    Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 7:55pm
Okay ladies! As some of you may know, I am an 8 month transitioner, and I need some advice. This may be kind of long, but I would rather ask most of my questions here in one thread than post multiple ones every day. I need a lot of info about a lot of things, so help me out please! There's a lot that I don't know. I believe that there is no stupid question, so please don't think mine are stupid! Ok, that's a lie, there are stupid questions, but if you don't know the answer, ask anyway! So, I'm asking! Anyway here goes:

1) I want to try out the no-cones way, so do my leave-ins need to be cone free too? Which kind do you use?

2)How do you do your hot oil treatments? Do you just heat and apply? On wet hair or dry hair? Before or after you wash? And how often?

3)How do you DC? Do you shampoo, condition, and then DC? Or is the DC considered your conditioner?

4)Do ya'll reall buy a mixer to whip shea butter???? lol

5)What is clarifying? My guess is a really deep cleaning with shampoo. Are the shampoos that explicitly say 'clarifying' the only ones that do? How often do you clarify?

6)Sometimes I want to straighten either for style or a trim. Do I need a liquid heat protectant and a serum?

7)What's the deal with mineral oil? I know most naturals run away from it, but I don't know why...

8)Moisturizers? I hate to admit, but I don't use one. Unless I don't know that I am. lol. Ok, so there are water based ones, but what are the other ones based with? I don't really understand moisturizers at all...

Ok, I think those are all of the questions that I have...for now, lol. But there is something else that I need help with. I try to wait until I run completely out of a product before I buy something else to avoid being a product junkie, and this time I am almost completely out of everything. So very soon, I will be doing a mini BSS shopping spree! yay, my favorite kind! Anyway, below are some staple items that I am going to get. Is there anything else I may need?

oils(coconut, castor)
shea butter
gel
moisturizer
sulfate-free shampoo
cone-free conditioners
leave-in conditioners
hair mayo(for protein)
heat protectant(and serum?)

Thanks so much ladies! I know that this is a lot, and VERY long, but ANY help would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
Sponsored Links

RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by hairtanstic hairtanstic wrote:

1) I want to try out the no-cones way, so do my leave-ins need to be cone free too? Which kind do you use?  I'm just assuming here but if you're trying to do no-cone all the way, that probably includes leave-ins

2)How do you do your hot oil treatments? Do you just heat and apply? On wet hair or dry hair? Before or after you wash? And how often?

3)How do you DC? Do you shampoo, condition, and then DC? Or is the DC considered your conditioner? Shampoo & then DC .... or just DC without even shampooing - I don't shampoo that often

4)Do ya'll reall buy a mixer to whip shea butter???? lol  I just made some whipped shea butter yesterday and no, I didn't go out and buy a mixer, I used one I have in my house

5)What is clarifying? My guess is a really deep cleaning with shampoo. Are the shampoos that explicitly say 'clarifying' the only ones that do? How often do you clarify? Clarifying gets junk and buildup out of your hair .... as far as wording on the bottles go - could just be a marketing ploy to get you to buy it, making you believe that product A will get your hair cleaner than product B ....

6)Sometimes I want to straighten either for style or a trim. Do I need a liquid heat protectant and a serum? You can buy a heat protectant that is a serum, but you need something

7)What's the deal with mineral oil? I know most naturals run away from it, but I don't know why... Mineral Oil is bad on the scalp because it blocks the pores .... whether you choose to use it or not is up to your own discretion and how your hair reacts to it .... mine doesn't mind it 

8)Moisturizers? I hate to admit, but I don't use one. Unless I don't know that I am. lol. Ok, so there are water based ones, but what are the other ones based with? I don't really understand moisturizers at all... I think oil is the other base

Ok, I think those are all of the questions that I have...for now, lol. But there is something else that I need help with. I try to wait until I run completely out of a product before I buy something else to avoid being a product junkie, and this time I am almost completely out of everything. So very soon, I will be doing a mini BSS shopping spree! yay, my favorite kind! Anyway, below are some staple items that I am going to get. Is there anything else I may need?

oils(coconut, castor) Swift has said Coconut oil is a protein so be aware of this since you're also using hair mayo
shea butter
gel
moisturizer
sulfate-free shampoo
cone-free conditioners
leave-in conditioners
hair mayo(for protein)
heat protectant(and serum?)

Thanks so much ladies! I know that this is a lot, and VERY long, but ANY help would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

that Natural 101 thread has a wealth of info as well

happy shopping and good luck .... hopefully you get some better answers than mine LoL
AllyOrNotAlly View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 8:59pm
For question #1, a leave-in that is cone free that I use is Giovanni Direct Leave-in or any giovanni conditioner that is from their organics line.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 9:20pm

Thanks Roxie!!!! You're always a HUGE help!!!!

And thanks Ally! I'm gonna try Giovanni! Plus, I've seen it at Wal-mart! LOL
hair2day317 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 9:35pm
I'm glad Roxie directed you the 101 thread but ALSO answered ur questions. We've all been there-anxious to get the regie right and not tryin to wait to hear back frm folk.

My answers:

1. No cones then use Giovanni as Ally mentioned. You may also like Aubrey Organics. I get mine from Whole Foods. I use Jane Carter Solution leave in, cone free, all natural. I mix that with aloe vera, water, veg. glycerin, and some oils.

2. I don't do hot oil treatments but I do put oil over my condish before I detangle. I do oil rinses when my hair is going thru a dry spell.

4. I whipped my shea butter with an old blender, some melting and lots of wrist action with a bowl and spoon girl.

5. I clarify with ACV (apple cider vinegar) and I'm trying Bentonite clay next.

6. Grapeseed oil doesn't burn below 475 degrees so some use it as a heat protectant.

HTH!
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by hairtanstic hairtanstic wrote:

Thanks Roxie!!!! You're always a HUGE help!!!!

And thanks Ally! I'm gonna try Giovanni! Plus, I've seen it at Wal-mart! LOL

Dr. Bronners Castille Soap and Elasta QP Moisturizing Shampoo are both good sulfate-free shampoos
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 9:52pm
hair2day .... this is off-topic - but how long do you mix your shea butter for? i whipped mine for about 5minutes but i don't know if it was long enough 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 10:04pm
Thanks so much ladies! I have the Elasta QP my list, and I'm also gonna get the DPR-11 for my DC. Now, I'm gonna add the Giovanni to my list too. And I only use the hair mayo once per month, so I hope that isn't too much protein with the coconut oil, but I'll see! It's all about trial and error...
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 10:11pm
as long as you have a good balance of moisture & protein you should be okay 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 11:01pm
yes maam!
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21