Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Israel and Gaza militants in deadly exchange of
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Israel and Gaza militants in deadly exchange of

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Israel and Gaza militants in deadly exchange of
    Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 8:24am
Don't forget to check out my other thread re DC hotels. 

hree people have been killed as rockets fired from Gaza struck southern Israel, amid escalating violence.

They died when a four-storey building in the town of Kiryat Malachi was hit.

It marks the first Israeli fatalities since Israel killed Hamas' military chief in Gaza on Wednesday.

Fifteen Palestinians, mainly militants but also children, have reportedly been killed in the continuing Israeli operation. About 200 rockets have been fired into Israel, the army says.

It says that 145 of them were destroyed by Israel's Iron Dome interceptor system.

Hundreds of rockets were fired into Israel by militants in Gaza, and Israel carried out numerous air strikes as cross-border violence soared in recent weeks.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

If the shooting doesn't stop, Israel will also target [Hamas leader] Ismail Haniyeh”

Israel KatzIsraeli transport minister

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said that "Hamas bears principal responsibility for the current crisis", also urging all the sides involved to "avoid any action which risks civilian casualties or escalates the crisis".

Meanwhile, Egyptian President Mohammad Mursi condemned the air strikes, after recalling his ambassador from Israel. Dozens of anti-Israeli protesters held a rally in the capital Egypt.

Hamas' political leader Khaled Meshaal vowed to continue the "resistance" against Israel, Reuters news agency reported.

In a separate development, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas reportedly cut short a trip to Switzerland and was returning to his base in the West Bank to deal with the growing crisis.

'Gates of hell'

The three Israelis - two women and a man - died when a rocket hit the top floor of the building in Kiryat Malachi, about 25km (15 miles) north of Gaza.

map

Three other people - a four-year-old boy and two babies - were injured, Israel's foreign ministry said.

The building's residents were warned by sirens about the impending attack, but did not have enough time to escape, reports said.

Speaking to the BBC after the attack, local resident Yerumichael Simon said: "I live across the street and I used to live inside that building. We grew up together."

"It's very hard for me to think about what happened. At 08:00 in the morning we heard the alarm and a big boom. When I went outside I saw the big hole".

The BBC's Yolande Knell, who is at the scene of the rocket strike in Kiryat Malachi, says sirens continue to wail at regular intervals across southern towns, sending residents rushing for cover.

She says usually when rockets fired from Gaza are heading for a populated area interceptor missiles fired by Israel's Iron Dome batteries can be seen, with loud booms heard overhead and vapour trails visible cross-crossing the sky.

The BBC's Jon Donnison says Gaza has been filled with the sounds of militants' rockets taking off and Israeli missiles landing

But she adds that some rockets still get through and the one that hit the building left a gaping hole on the top floor where two Israeli families were living.

Meanwhile, seven Palestinians - two children and five militants - were killed in Israeli air strikes on Thursday, Hamas said. There were no immediate details about the exact locations of the strikes.

The BBC's Jon Donnison in Gaza City says vapour trails from rockets being fired by Palestinian militants can be seen, and intermittently large mushrooms of smoke from Israeli air strikes appear.

Reports in Israel's media say that a rocket hit a house in Ashdod without causing injuries and another rocket landed close to a school in Beer Tuvya. There were also reports of rockets landing in Ofakim and Ashkelon.

Hamas on Thursday said it had fired missiles at Tel Aviv - but the claim was denied as "psychological propaganda" by the Israel Defence Forces.

So far the violence does not appear on the same scale as the last Gaza war almost four years ago when hundreds of Palestinians were killed on the first day of Israel's operation, our correspondent adds. Thirteen Israelis also died in that conflict.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned that his country is prepared to extend its operation against Hamas.

But in a televised statement, he said Israel would continue to do "everything in its power" to avoid civilian casualties.

He accused Hamas of the "double war crime" of firing at Israeli civilians and then hiding behind Palestinian civilians, saying the militants deliberately placed their rockets and missiles in civilian areas.

"There is no moral symmetry between Israel and the terrorists in Gaza... Hamas deliberately targets children and they deliberately place their rockets next to their children," said Mr Netanyahu.

He added that Israel would take whatever action was necessary to defend itself.

Israeli defence ministry spokesman Joshua Hantman told the BBC that about one million Israelis across the country were now in the range of fire from militants.

He added that a ground offensive was "an option if we need to".

Meanwhile, Israeli Transport Minister Israel Katz told the BBC that "if the shooting doesn't stop, Israel will also target [Hamas leader] Ismail Haniyeh".

Responding to Wednesday's strike, Hamas warned that the killing of 52-year-old Ahmed Said Khalil al-Jabari would "open the gates of hell" for Israel.

Israel said Jabari, the head of Hamas' military wing, had been responsible for all attacks from Gaza in the past decade.

In Gaza City, large crowds gathered for his funeral, vowing revenge attacks.

Among others killed in Israeli air strikes in the last two days was the 11-month-old son of a BBC Arabic Service cameraman in Gaza City. The child, Omar, died from severe burns in hospital. His brother and uncle were critically injured.

Condemnation

An emergency closed session of the UN Security Council was held at the request of Egypt late on Wednesday to discuss the situation.

The Palestinian envoy to the UN, Riyad Mansour, told the meeting that Israel was "vulgarly and publicly boasting about its wilful killing of Palestinians".

US Ambassador to the UN Susan Rice defended Israel's actions.

"There is no justification for the violence that Hamas and other terrorist organisations are employing against the people of Israel," Mrs Rice told the session.

In other diplomatic reaction:

• US President Barack Obama spoke to Mr Netanyahu by telephone on Wednesday evening, with both men agreeing that Hamas needed to halt its attacks on Israel to allow the situation to de-escalate, the White House said
  • UK Foreign Secretary William Hague said he was "gravely concerned by the situation in Gaza and southern Israel", urging all the sides involved to "avoid any action which risks civilian casualties or escalates the crisis"
  • UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon spoke to Mr Netanyahu and Egyptian President Mohammed Mursi, expressing concern at the "deteriorating situation"
  • Arab League foreign ministers say they will meet in emergency session on Friday to discuss the escalating violence
  • Egyptian President Mursi also spoke to President Obama and agreed on the importance of working to calm the situation as quickly as possible, the White House said.

Neighbouring Egypt condemned the strikes, recalled its ambassador to Israel and summoned the Israeli ambassador in Cairo. It also called for UN and Arab League meetings.

The BBC's Kevin Connolly, in Cairo, says Egypt's reaction to events in Gaza will be followed closely.

Are you in the region? Please share your experiences about what has happened using the form below. If you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist, please include your contact telephone number.

< id="comment-" ="http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgiemail/emailewsv6/.txt" style="color: rgb80, 80, 80; font-family: Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif; margin: 8px 0px 0px; padding: 16px 0px 8px; : relative; overflow: ; width: 464px; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb223, 223, 223;">
< ="contact_details" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; : relative; : left; display: inline; clear: left; width: 464px; overflow: ; font-size: 13px;">
Sponsored Links

Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 8:28am
Same mess for decades now I feel so sorry for the children. I am not image having to wake up each money and wonder if today will be your last. Israel needs to stop and the US/Europe need to stop backing them. 
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Prazol60 Prazol60 wrote:

Same mess for decades now I feel so sorry for the children. I am not image having to wake up each money and wonder if today will be your last. Israel needs to stop and the US/Europe need to stop backing them. 

This
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 8:44am
they need to nuke israel

Immie89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Immie89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 10:29am
This is the same thing that happened few years ago 08/09 so sad! I'm confused as to why some people are calling it a war..it's not a war when the other side has no protection,arms or anything..it's a genocide.
Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 10:35am
^^yes! 
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 12:35pm
I'd go in right now, but I'm posting from the plantation's computerStern Smile
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

<FONT size=3 face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">I'd go in right now, but I'm posting from the plantation's computerStern Smile

Edited by Naturalchick30 - Nov 15 2012 at 12:59pm
keepgrowing View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keepgrowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

I'd go in right now, but I'm posting from the plantation's computerStern Smile
DeadLOL
Faithfully2002 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faithfully2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 1:30pm
Smdh
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic