FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Is your hair balanced?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
prettigurl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prettigurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2009 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by neekie5235 neekie5235 wrote:

i'm sure my hair is not balanced... but how do you know if you need more moisture or protein, or if you have too much of one or the other? i dunno!

If you need protein your hair probably feels mushy when wet and it may be overly stretchy when wet. Also, you may notice that it breaks more when wet because it lacks structure (protein)

If you need moisture your hair may feel rough or dry and brittle. It will not really stretch (wet or dry), instead it breaks when you try to stretch it.

Basically, if it breaks more when wet you need protein and if it breaks more when dry you need moisture.
Sponsored Links

neekie5235 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neekie5235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2009 at 11:06pm
it breaks equally as bad wet or dry! i guess i need more of both!

but i dont have mushy hair, or brittle hair. sometimes it gets a little brittle but that's usually when i need a trim and then its fixed. maybe my hair is just crazy! like the head it sprouts out of lol
Stealth9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stealth9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2009 at 5:44pm
I think so. I've just been listening to my hair, been doing quite a few protein treatments and for the first time in years I've been able to detangle without the dreaded "snapping" sounds of hair breaking. It used to be soo fragile in it's wet/damp state... but not anymore.

For moisture I've been co-washing and using NTM DDC mixed with oils & honey. For protein, I've been using AO GPB and Mane n Tail with an egg.
legslikewhoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legslikewhoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2009 at 6:13pm
mine isn't. i really need to find a good protein treatment. my hair is so stretchy that i'm scared to brush it. which is bad because i'm transitioning. i tried the aphogee 2 minute keratin treatment and i feel it made my hair a little stronger.
Anima Mundi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anima Mundi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2009 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by lovely_ladii008 lovely_ladii008 wrote:

anima-how often do you use the ors aloe cause from what I've read its usually used for clarifying and it maybe causing some of the dryness and what do you use for a moisturizing deep conditioner?

Shocked I wasn't aware that the ORS was for clarifying! I'll try another shampoo next time. For deep conditioning I use Frederic Fekkai shea butter mask (I use a processing cap and sit under the dryer for at least 20 minutes.) I'm also experimenting with Mizani Fulfyl for DCing as well.

I got my touch up last week and my stylist says my hair is actually in good shape. I need to get used to what moisturized hair feels like. She said if my hair was dry I'd be breaking off left and right, and I didn't have that. I think I'm going to ante up a bit on my protein to smooth my hair shaft.

Thank you for letting me know about ORS. I guess using that along with the baking soda was overkill. :/
LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2009 at 10:56am
Yes, mine is balanced.  I rarely have breakage.  I always use protein and moisture at every wash.  If my deep conditioner is protein then my instant conditioner is moisture or I mix a moisture deep conditioner with the protein and my leave in is moisture with maybe a light protein leave in as well.  I am a big Aphogee and dominican product user and these seem to work well together for me.  I have been keeping a journal of every product that I use at every single wash with the outcome noted WITH PHOTOS and I now know what to use with what to balance.  Smile
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prettigurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2009 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by LadyCC LadyCC wrote:

Yes, mine is balanced.  I rarely have breakage.  I always use protein and moisture at every wash.  If my deep conditioner is protein then my instant conditioner is moisture or I mix a moisture deep conditioner with the protein and my leave in is moisture with maybe a light protein leave in as well.  I am a big Aphogee and dominican product user and these seem to work well together for me.  I have been keeping a journal of every product that I use at every single wash with the outcome noted WITH PHOTOS and I now know what to use with what to balanceSmile

Good idea. When I started bhm I kept a journal for the same reasons, but i got too lazyEmbarrassed
legslikewhoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legslikewhoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2009 at 7:16pm
the notebook sounds like a great idea LadyCC! it would make things easier if i wanted to know if my hair feels better at each wash.
lovely_ladii008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovely_ladii008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2009 at 9:45pm
Yea that does sound like a good idea. I shall try this hopefully I can keep up with it though
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prettigurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 12:36am
I cowashed with mane n tail (light protein) and my hair feels really soft and strong. I plan to alternate it with vo5 for cowashes
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic