Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Breakage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedIs working out breaking my hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
mwinchester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is working out breaking my hair?
    Posted: Oct 29 2007 at 12:13pm
CryI love to workout but I think the sweat is causing my hair to break. Does anyone have any suggestions? I usually go to the salon on Saturdays, no working out until Mondays. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, I wrap my hair when I'm working out and take it out in the mornings for work and Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning, I wear my hair in a ponytail to work and the gym.   I dont' use heat except for the deep conditioner on Saturdays and I use a wide tooth comb. I wear a satin scarf to bed when it is wrapped and a satin cap when it is not wrapped.  I started taking taken iron supplements and a multivitamin a month ago (it shows in my nails and skin) - but the hair, I can't see past the breakage (not a lot at the beginning of the week but by Friday, every time I run my hands over my ponytail, strands come out).

Should I wash more frequently?  I use Carol's daughter oil for the ends of my hair. Should I use more moisture.  Please help me - because I want my hair to grow already.

Thank you!

By the way my hair is up to my chin, it was shoulder length but I had to cut it because of the breakage and the uneven look. Now it is a cute bob, but I want to grow it out!

Edited by mwinchester - Oct 29 2007 at 12:15pm
Sponsored Links

DrunkClouds View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2007 at 5:27pm
Rinsing your hair after workouts or using a mild conditioner to cowash in other words no shampoo just watery conditioner would be helpful. You can also dilute regular shampoo and just let it run through your hair.

ETA: Oil doesn't moisturize and for most people using oil alone makes their hair dry. You have to use a water based leave in conditioner in order to moisturiz a popular drug store brand for relaxed hair is neutrogena triple moisture leave in conditioner then you can seal with oil. Or you can find a leave in conditioner from the carols daughter line. If you wear your hair staright applying a water based leave in might make it poofy so applying it right after washing would be best. otherwise if your hair doesnt poof or can handle the water based you can use it whenever your hair feels dry.

Edited by DrunkClouds - Oct 29 2007 at 5:30pm

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2007 at 9:04am
Thank you - you are right about the oil. I used this Hair Milk from Carols Daughter and I'm seeing less breakage. I'm going to use the leave in conditioner too. Thanks for the advice! 
olcow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 9:22am
Originally posted by mwinchester mwinchester wrote:

[IMG]http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/smileys/smiley19.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Cry" />I love to workoutbut I think the sweat is causing my hair to break. Does anyone have any suggestions? I usually go to the salon on Saturdays, no working out until Mondays. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, I wrap my hair when I'm working out and take it out in the mornings for work and Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning, I wear my hair in a ponytail to work and the gym. I dont' use heat except for the deep conditioner on Saturdays and I use a wide tooth comb. I wear a satin scarf to bed when it is wrapped and a satin cap when it is not wrapped.I started taking taken iron supplements and a multivitamin a month ago (it shows in my nails and skin) - but the hair, I can't see past the breakage (not a lot at the beginning of the week but by Friday, every time I run my hands over my ponytail, strands come out).

Should I wash more frequently? I use Carol's daughter oil for the ends of my hair. Should I use more moisture. Please help me - because I want my hair to grow already.

Thank you!

By the way my hair is up to my chin, it was shoulder length but I had to cut it because of the breakage and the uneven look. Now it is a cute bob, but I want to grow it out!

========================
I wish we could get a good answer for this... I can not wash after each workout... I wish there was an easy button for this one ... I just wear a bun, but I still have breakage... I wish there was a no wash solution to this one... I would love it...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 10:13am

I can't wash after each workout - BUT - I've been noticing less breakage by adding moisture and sealing it with oil - in the morning and at night.  I'll keep you posted on my progresss. My goal is no breakage and healthy hair! Smile

whispergirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 3:58pm
for some reason a very rugged workout does seem to weaken the hair for whatever the reason...i conclude whatever is in our perspriation is what causes the breakage if not washed and codish or whatever one uses to get the scalp cleaned.
olcow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 9:00am
I wonder how this would work

The Showerless Shower

While I do happen to enjoy bathing as much as the next girl, this may be just what I need when I am on the go and nowhere near a shower. Ojon's Rub-Out Dry Cleanser instantly cleans, revives and refreshes your hair and scalp without the water.

$24 at www.sephora.com and mass retailers nationwide

http://slideshow.ivillage.com/beauty_style/october_whats_hot_now/the_showerless_shower.html?nlcid=hp|10-29-2007|
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 11:47am
Originally posted by mwinchester mwinchester wrote:

CryI love to workout but I think the sweat is causing my hair to break. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yes. You need to rinse that salt from your hair at least 1-2 times during the week. So I would suggest that you do a co-wash every 2-3 days with a moisture-based conditioner, and make sure you moisturize every day. I workout 4 day sper week and I absolutely have to do a co-wash by mid-week or my hair would be a mess. Also, some of your strands may be shedding and not breakageWink.

this is my schedule for my hair because I work out:
-shampoo and deep condition on sat or sun
-co-wash wednesday and/or friday
-moisturize every day.

try this and see if your hair starts behaving.

Edited by Wildfire - Nov 06 2007 at 11:47am

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 12:53pm
Thank you Wildfire. Adding the moisture everyday and sealing with oil has helped a lot. I just was doing research and I found that NTM should be rinsed out - but I dont', I seal it with oil and its been working fine.  Does anyone know if I should be rinsing this out - any long term problems?

I plan on cowashing on Wednesday/Thursday nights and shampooing and dc on Saturdays. Hopefully this will produce even better results.  I will keep my progress up in my fokti.

Thanks for the feedback

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 12:55pm
Showerless shower - that reminds of a product my team created for a marketing project in undergrad. Except ours was for the body. Anyway,olcow  let me  know if you try it. 
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic