Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Is this a Black woman petting zoo?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MzCaliky View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MzCaliky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 12:21am
From my facebook when I posted this yesterday:
  • White facebook friend:  I am white and when my hair was long and straight many AA friends/family would ask to touch it and comment on it. It's rude for anyone to touch or even ask to touch a stranger but I'm not sure why this hair touching thing is getting so much attention.

• Asian facebook friend: Happens everyday in Japan.
Sponsored Links

nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 12:24am
Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:

• White facebook friend:  I am white and when my hair was long and straight many AA friends/family would ask to touch it and comment on it. It's rude for anyone to touch or even ask to touch a stranger but I'm not sure why this hair touching thing is getting so much attention.

i feel that both are ignorant/oblivious AF and typical. 

frankly, i wouldn't expect them to 'get it' or to attempt to see it from another pov besides their own. 

modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 12:33am
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

i feel that both are ignorant/oblivious AF and typical. 

frankly, i wouldn't expect them to 'get it' or to attempt to see it from another pov besides their own. 

I didn't see the 2nd comment as being oblivious, rather stating that the offense happens frequently in Japan.

It honestly makes more sense to happen in Japan (an EXTREMELY homogenous society) than here in the US, especially major cities like NYC where there are tons of black people/ethnic hair textures. Outside of major cities or people who live near military bases, I  can understand far better for someone from a homogenous country with minimal interaction with outside cultures to be like "wow cool hair...what's it feel like" than a white person from ANY town in the US acting brand new. Not saying that it's right in either case, but one (happening in a country with less than 1% black people) makes more sense than the other (in the US where you can't turn on a TV without seeing a black person regularly via commercials, news channels, etc).
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 12:36am
You should write back to them and tell them thank you for their opinion on Black women's right to be offended because their opinion matters sooo much.Dead
MzCaliky View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MzCaliky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 12:39am
I never responded to either. 

My fb post was: Very interesting.....bet they rushed home to wash their hair afterwards

The first one is someone who works with me. She dates black men and I think she has biracial children. I don't really know how I feel about that response but, meh. I don't really care what white people think of my hair in general. Generally they love it even when it is a hot ass mess cause they don't know any better anyway so....

The second one is my best friends brother and I'm sure he has been around black people and touched black hair before. I thought his response was interesting because the Japanese really admire our hair and try to replicate it a lot. The Asian person responding is Hmong and he is living in Japan because he is in the Navy. 
MzCaliky View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MzCaliky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 12:40am
one of my best friends I should say. My other best friend is black. 
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 12:46am

I never responded to either. 

My fb post was: Very interesting.....bet they rushed home to wash their hair afterwards

The first one is someone who works with me. She dates black men and I think she has biracial children. I don't really know how I feel about that response but, meh. I don't really care what white people think of my hair in general. Generally they love it even when it is a hot ass mess cause they don't know any better anyway so....

The second one is my best friends brother and I'm sure he has been around black people and touched black hair before. I thought his response was interesting because the Japanese really admire our hair and try to replicate it a lot. The Asian person responding is Hmong and he is living in Japan because he is in the Navy. 

I bet he has an interesting perspective. I have quite a few Hmong friends and sometimes the stories they tell about what the friction in their home countries between Hmong people and the other subsets is interesting to say the least.
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 1:08am
Bottom line: The fool who came up with this stupid, coontastic idea forgot one very important thing.  White people are NOT INTERESTED in having a dialog.  White people are interested in asserting their power through "innocent" naivety.  They are so used to getting into our personal space that the second one of us says, NO, we are being rude. 

The ONLY dialog this will open up is white people trying to muscle in on our personal space and then say, "I was at this exhibit once..."

Just like they suddenly became experts on our hair when they watched, "Good hair." 

They aren't interested in the intricacies of our hair structure or how we take care of it, much like they were not interested in the daily lives of the people who were in the circus freak shows long ago.
SweetNovember* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 3:06am
How you gonna show up at a touch my hair exhibit in a weave though?

Strange idea, I'll admit, but I have no problem with people (that I know) touching my hair. I probably wouldn't mind if a stranger asked to touch it. I have asked to touch people's hair before, white women included.
Morris Chestnuts View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Morris Chestnuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 4:11am
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

How you gonna show up at a touch my hair exhibit in a weave though?

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic