Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is There Anything Wrong With Passing for Black?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Is There Anything Wrong With Passing for Black?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 1:32pm
Rachel Roy was born on January 15, 1974 in California. She was raised with her brother Rajendra Roy, now the Chief Film Curator of the Museum of Modern Art in New York. She is of mixed racial ancestry: her mother is Dutch and her father is Indian.

Roy grew up in California, and attended Seaside High School along the Monterey Peninsula in Northern California. She attended Columbia Union College and Washington Adventist University in Takoma Park, Maryland, majoring in Liberal Arts. Roy graduated in 1996. After graduation, she moved to New York to continue her work in retail, as well as her work as a stylist.

Roy has two daughters with Damon Dash: Ava, born December 7, 1999 and Tallulah, born May 14, 2008. She and Dash were married from 2005 to 2009.[1] In 2011, there was speculation that she and Dwight Freeney were dating.[2]

Sponsored Links

goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

There's this doctor I know that looks black, but he is Indian. He says he uses it to his advantage when it comes to black patients because they trust him more and give him more info. He looks like pharrell a little bit. 

My last doctor was dark skinned Indian....

....i didn't think he was black though I mean when your name is Amit Patel...who was he fooling?

..but in general I do trust "doctors of color" more... 

keepgrowing View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keepgrowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

There's this doctor I know that looks black, but he is Indian. He says he uses it to his advantage when it comes to black patients because they trust him more and give him more info. He looks like pharrell a little bit. 

....i didn't think he was black though I mean when your name is Amit Patel...who was he fooling?

I work with a lot of dark skin Indians, but he looked like a black man. He is an ER physician.

ETA: I think it is also because he is bald. With hair, he can't sit with us.

Edited by keepgrowing - Jun 12 2014 at 2:03pm
keepgrowing View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote keepgrowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

Don't excite him (pharrell) 

LOLLOL right?

On the other-hand, this confirms Pharrell's blackness even more since this Indian man is passing for black by looking like Pharrell. 
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 2:04pm

Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

Don't excite him (pharrell) 

LOLLOL right?

On the other-hand, this confirms Pharrell's blackness even more since this Indian man is passing for black by looking like Pharrell. 
Lawd, Don't give him nightmaresLOL
HowardAlumAKA View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowardAlumAKA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Jess Jess wrote:

Originally posted by HowardAlumAKA HowardAlumAKA wrote:

I dont think she knows her roots.

one of my friends had no idea she had an Asian background. She would tell people she was half asian and half black but both her parents were black. She had the chinky eyes and the silky hair but her skin was dark. Her father was in and out of her life so she never got to meet his side of the family.  Years later he passed and when she went to his funeral  it was nothing but asians there. Turns out his mother is Cambodian. Her father was the only one with a black father, the rest of her aunts and uncles were full Cambodian. 
Confused
Her mom didn't know the father of her child was half Asian?
She would tell people she was half Asian even though she didn't have any idea if she had an Asian background?
I'm confused. Did you mean she was unaware that she had such a huge Cambodian family?

No. Her mother was not aware. Im assuming she was either a one night stand or the father just didnt want anything to do with her after getting her pregnant. She did tell me she recalls getting a DNA tested when she was 9.

She was unaware of being Asian at that time, but she looks Asian and black, so she would just claim it for the hell of it before finding out about her Cambodian family.
Chantal34 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chantal34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 9:33pm

Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

I work with a lot of dark skin Indians, but he looked like a black man. He is an ER physician.

ETA: I think it is also because he is bald. With hair, he can't sit with us.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic