Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is There Anything Wrong With Passing for Black?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Is There Anything Wrong With Passing for Black?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

Author
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 11:34am
How do you pass for black? You either are or you aren't. The only negative I can see is the privilege that person would receive for looking "less black" by people in our own community..cuz they'd still be a niqqa to the rest of the world, but would be elevated in the black community.
Sponsored Links

petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 11:41am
I think that she feels she would receive backlash from the aa community if she denies being black because she looks black. I don't think she is purposely trying to pass for black. She just doesn't correct folks when they assume she is black.
JulieGianni View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulieGianni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

Originally posted by JulieGianni JulieGianni wrote:

Originally posted by Jess Jess wrote:

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

I wonder if Rachel Roy passed for Black
Oh my. I thought she was black without a doubt.

She is
She is half indian half white

I read that her father was "Dutch born".

You can be a black Jamaican and still be "English born" provided you were born before, what, 1962?

Edited by JulieGianni - Jun 12 2014 at 12:08pm
JulieGianni View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JulieGianni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

so we claiming rita ora now? lol...she's a real caucasian (caucasian proper not the meaning it has now)

That "Caucasian" term means nothing in relation to whiteness in modern times.  Your racial identifiers are grossly outdated. 

Edited by JulieGianni - Jun 12 2014 at 12:14pm
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 12:12pm
how is this "passing" for black if she isn't purposefully going around telling people she's black?

why does she think somebody cares?

this foolishness

rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 12:23pm
many south Indians have dark skin and 3c/4a hair

This is a random pic of a south Indian couple getting married, many are much darker

Edited by rickysrose - Jun 12 2014 at 12:24pm
keepgrowing View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keepgrowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 1:05pm
There's this doctor I know that looks black, but he is Indian. He says he uses it to his advantage when it comes to black patients because they trust him more and give him more info. He looks like pharrell a little bit. 
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

LOLI was being facetious lilaca

...I did come across her pic on a tumblr focused on famous black girls..must not have met many people from the balkansDead

scust!
LOL
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 1:28pm

Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

Originally posted by Jess Jess wrote:

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

I wonder if Rachel Roy passed for Black
Oh my. I thought she was black without a doubt.

She is
She is half indian half white

I read that her father was "Dutch born".

You can be a black Jamaican and still be "English born" provided you were born before, what, 1962?
*Googles* i thought one of her parents were dutch... i am british but not called 'English' even though i am born over here, we are generally referred to 'afro-caribs, west indians, black british caribs, black british africans. Never just English. I'd assume if her dutch parent was black they'd be called 'black dutch' or something. LOL

Edited by Lilaca - Jun 12 2014 at 1:29pm
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

There's this doctor I know that looks black, but he is Indian. He says he uses it to his advantage when it comes to black patients because they trust him more and give him more info. He looks like pharrell a little bit. 
Don't excite him (pharrell) 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic