Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Is that a weave???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>

Author
juicifruit89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote juicifruit89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 9:03pm
Hmm, my real hair is fairly long, with thick, healthy ends (and we all know those women who take great care of their hair and have AL or WL hair). But if I were to wear my flat-ironed hair out in public, I guess people "would have to suspend belief" that it could actually be my hair, since we allllll have short, kinky hair. Sad that it would be difficult to believe that many black women can have long, healthy appearing hair (especially since blacks as a whole are becoming more educated on proper hair care).

Relaxed, natural, pressed, locs, afros...people will always find fault with our hair (not professional, not realistic enough, etc.) so I wouldn't put too much stock in their numerous opinions.
Sponsored Links

femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Don't get mad at Chris Rock for ... telling the TRUTH. I don't believe in keeping secrets ... just looks more and more like you sre ashamed. Confused

Chris Rock did not "tell the TRUTH".. he only told a "HALF the TRUTH".. if you've traveled all over the world as i have?  You'll see that EVERY culture is obsessed with thick/healthy/luxurious hair.   When in their beauty shops, they request this openly.  If they can't have results quickly?   They will gladly wear their shiny extensions/whole wigs/lacefront wigs - just like everyone else.  There's no shame to their game.Confused

Chris failed to make the public aware of the Whole Picture, because he probably would not be welcome in another culture's shop - other than his own. I'm sure upscale whites, latinas, europeans, asians, etc., would have slammed the doors in his face - on camera, with no hesitation of the slightest.

Also, Someone had made a very salient point regarding why Straight hair is sold more than any other?  Because it's the cheapest.  This makes straight hair  a much more attractive option.  Makes sense.

Not all cultures are quick to cut off their hair as the Chinese and Eastern Indians.  Plus the cost and maintenance of textured/kinky hair is higher, much higher. 

Edited by femmemuscleisback - Oct 27 2013 at 9:15pm
c0lormebad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c0lormebad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 7:50pm

Yea, men can get really disrespectful with the weave stuff... after I told a man that it wasnt mine... he started referring to my hair as "it". Should we start lying?  Thats what a woman with a bad weave can do. Make it bad for women that wear weaves or wigs. My hair is really expensive. Even a female with long hair still wears weave...

JaceDummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JaceDummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 9:20pm
Hey! You know what I JUST realized!!!??? This is one of the FEW places we can go to discuss OUR STUFF amongst US, without White women trolls getting all up in our business. It's like a breath of fresh air. I'm enjoying reading everyone's perspectives.
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by femmemuscleisback femmemuscleisback wrote:

Don't get mad at Chris Rock for ... telling the TRUTH. I don't believe in keeping secrets ... just looks more and more like you sre ashamed. Confused

Chris Rock did not "tell the TRUTH".. he only told a "HALF the TRUTH".. if you've traveled all over the world as i have?  You'll see that EVERY culture is obsessed with thick/healthy/luxurious hair.   When in their beauty shops, they request this openly.  If they can't have results quickly?   They will gladly wear their shiny extensions/whole wigs/lacefront wigs - just like everyone else.  There's no shame to their game.Confused

Chris failed to make the public aware of the Whole Picture, because he probably would not be welcome in another culture's shop - other than his own. I'm sure upscale whites, latinas, europeans, asians, etc., would have slammed the doors in his face - on camera, with no hesitation of the slightest.

Also, Someone had made a very salient point regarding why Straight hair is sold more than any other?  Because it's the cheapest.  This makes straight hair  a much more attractive option.  Makes sense.

Not all cultures are quick to cut off their hair as the Chinese and Eastern Indians.  Plus the cost and maintenance of textured/kinky hair is higher, much higher. 

Geesh lady, I have traveled all over the world - 48 countries so far and have lived in 3 countries. I now live The Netherlands. How about you?

Chris did tell the truth. Black folks, White folks .. every kind of folks sources hair from India (could be China too). Period – that was his point ands yes, Black folks are HUGH consumers of this hair.

If he went to upscale or any scale of White or other groups with his film crew .. they would have been fine with it. DUH!

The reason straight hair (Indian or Chinese) is sold ... is because it is so readily available with 1.3 billion Chinese and 1.2 billion Indian many/most of which are fairly poor so they will sell their hair as in India, they shave their hair for religious reasons. But the most important factor is that Chinese and Indian hair .. is extremely DURABLE.

So it can take the cleaning, dyeing and processing without crumbling away to nothing. Whereas Caucasian hair and of course our 4b/c (which is the most delicate hair in the world) could not survive such treatments. Look at all the permed heads around you that break off and get  thinner and thinner as we age.

This why you can't go to the BSS and order AA hair. Hey, maybe SOME shop carries (I can't know what every shop in the whole world carries) but typically when you order hair online or buy it in a BSS ... it will be Indian or Chinese hair for sure.

Yes, the shops can texturize it to wavy,curly, yaki ... whatever you like and some hair is naturally curly but that's the hair  business.

I don't see anything to be ashamed about. The movie was funny but the most

poignant point in the movie was when he asked the Indian vendor if he could order Kinky hair and he said noooo ... and they both agreed that nobody wants to order kinky hair. That was sad. Mainly because I love our hair.

So I wear afro/curly Lace front units every day and the cost and maint. is not much higher etc. Where did you hear that? It costs $10 extra to get my hair texturized from straight to afro/curly and I buy leave in conditioner (for curly hair) and Oil (for the ends) to maintain my afro.

But if I went back to the straight hair - I would have to buy a different set of products to maintain that hair - so maintenance is gonna costs no matter which texture you choose.

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 2:24pm
Sleepy

hey Printer Ink.. would you please be so kind to Cliff Note your grandiose bull sh**t responses?

Edited by femmemuscleisback - Nov 02 2013 at 3:21pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by JaceDummy JaceDummy wrote:

Hey! You know what I JUST realized!!!??? This is one of the FEW places we can go to discuss OUR STUFF amongst US, without White women trolls getting all up in our business. It's like a breath of fresh air. I'm enjoying reading everyone's perspectives.

oh, we have a troll alright.. LOL

MassGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MassGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 11:27am

Originally posted by femmemuscleisback femmemuscleisback wrote:

If he went to upscale or any scale of White or other groups with his film crew .. they would have been fine with it. DUH!

This why you can't go to the BSS and order AA hair. Hey, maybe SOME shop carries (I can't know what every shop in the whole world carries) but typically when you order hair online or buy it in a BSS ... it will be Indian or Chinese hair for sure.

I don't see anything to be ashamed about. The movie was funny but the most

poignant point in the movie was when he asked the Indian vendor if he could order Kinky hair and he said noooo ... and they both agreed that nobody wants to order kinky hair. That was sad. Mainly because I love our hair.

Blanket statements trouble me.    Not all women are forthcoming about their hair extensions no matter the race. Look no further than the celebrities out there who are  mum on their hair extensions, and there are many. Hair , like weight, is a sensitive subject for women --general apperance , beauty secrets are big deals for & to  women.

I highly doubt upscale or " any scale White" salons would ALL be willing to let just anyone in, and definitely not allow  Rock's buffonnery. His very manner, separate and inlcusive of this, is to mock.

About the kinky hair:  just because " they ( Rock & the vendor) both agreed" that no one wants kinky hair then that makes it official?  That is just silly hence the demand for kinky-textured extensions.

Edited by MassGal - Nov 03 2013 at 11:33am
JaceDummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JaceDummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 11:53am
I don't know where a lot of you live (the ones that say White ppl don't wear weaves). I live in L.A. and there are plenty of white girls with weaves here. And because the textures dont match, one would think that weave haters would talk about them. They talk about Black women because degrading us is accepted. And any Black person contributing to the disrespect of other Black people in mixed company, should be ashamed.

Ie: Jillian Barberie L.As top weathergirl/news anchor for more than 10 years

For the conspiracy theorists out there who read vigilant citizens' site, we know that in order to get money in hollywood, Blacks have to sell out their own. Thats the reason for the Good Hair movie and the Oprah interview. It's also the reason that Beyonce looks like a white girl and Jay Z is inking that deal with Barneys.

Edited by JaceDummy - Nov 03 2013 at 11:59am
imfunsized View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imfunsized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 1:00pm
YASSSSSSSSSS preach all day!

Psssh it also the same reason Michael Jackson left this plant looking like a white woman. No way the greatest entertainer of all time could be a brown big nosed black man. C' mon.

Black men will sell it anyday, especially if that includes bashing black women. Me wearing a weave is just so horrible, but your precious white people frying themselves to death in tanning beds gets a pass.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic