Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedIs that a weave???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
dorislesure View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 2:01pm
ok how comfortable do u let them get  just for them to disrespect you. some things should not come out of some peoples mouth.. them them to goggle it..is this the same person asking all the black questions??????????????????
Sponsored Links

imfunsized View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by dorislesure dorislesure wrote:

ok how comfortable do u let them get  just for them to disrespect you. some things should not come out of some peoples mouth.. them them to goggle it..is this the same person asking all the black questions??????????????????

That's what I was thinking when I was reading the op's post.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by TOUSHA11 TOUSHA11 wrote:

I am so sick of people thinking just because you wear straight hair you are brain washed. I do not give a Damn what anyone says it is my head I wear whatever the Hell I want to when I want too it is just Hair.The beauty of being a women is that we do not have to stick to the same thing day in and day out we have makeup,push up bra's,fake eyelashes, fake hair, etc  to enhance what we look like. I love being a women I am not going let nobody tell me because I do not wear my real hair that I do not love myself that is the stupidest thing I ever heard. So because some body wear's their natural hair but they 300 lbs they love themselves more I do not think so. That is just an example I am just saying that there are more important things to worry about besides the hair that is on my head.< ="text/" id="_tmpl"><div id="<%= Id %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= Left %>; top: <%= Top %>; width: <%= Width %>; height: <%= Height %>">

I'm certainly not saying all black women are brainwashed into hating themselves or their natural hair. I'm saying that we have been conditioned to think of straight hair as the most beautiful hair to have. Therefore that's why many choose to wear them. It's the truth. And not all natural love their hair more simply because they are natural, you will have those who wish it was looser curled because we have also been conditioned to believe that is prettier. This is not all black people but unfortunately a lot of us believe it. I agree as well, wear your hair how you choose. As black women we have so a many options and we honestly should not have to explain that anyone. But when ignorant fool come with stupid questions, we catch ourselves in situations when we have to explain why we do the things we do. It's really ridiculous.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 7:00pm
Some black men are willing participants in this bullshyt, though. Not trying to put all the blame on them because it's not. But about a month ago, I had a curly weave in for about 2 weeks (It looked good but I decided to take it out because of my edges) and I was walking down a busy street downtown. There were 3 dudes hanging out at a corner, 2 black, one white. The 2 black guys were there trying to pick up white women, some of which were dumb enough to actually stop and talk to them when they got cat-called. So I'm on the sidewalk walking and I hear the white guy tell one of the black guys that I looked good. Do you know that the first thing this coon did was reply that I had a weave on my head and go on and keep cat-calling the white chicks passing by? Meanwhile, I'm feeling the white guy staring at the top of my head, all disoriented as I pass him by. I don't know why he felt the need to bring me down while chasing them Beckys on the corner...  And I do blame Chris Rock for putting our business in the street like that. I remember when he was joking with those Brits about Michelle Obama's hair. I don't care that you are a comedian, he had no business doing that.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Oct 27 2013 at 7:01pm
tabbikay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Umm I don't think the OP is being honest really.

I made a post talking about two incidences I experienced recently, and now we're discussing why things like this happen. Where's the lie?

The reason that White guy (who is odd IMO!) is checking out Black women's hair .. is because it probably looks so unlike a regular Black persons head of hair.

It was a quick weave with bss hair as I already stated (a bob to be exact, color 1). Just a plain style IMO, but obviously not hers if you know hair.

I have been saying this for years. If the weave/wig is lonnnng, thick, healthy looking ... like Tamar Braxon or the whole clan ... you would have to suspend disbelief .. to believe their hair ... looks natural. This is because most/all White people know that Black people have kinky hair (though some people have curly hair) - right?

See above response. 

I mean how can it be that 98% of Black MEN are walking around with kinky (maybe short wavy) hair and (not 98%) but a lot of Black women are walking around with 'straight' hair? People are not stupid White people! Now that is funny.

Straight hair is not synonymous with fake hair. 

So it becomes clear that Black women are changing the texture of their hair. Maybe we can say 'it's hard to manage our kinky hair or we just want a new look but mainly the White people that I know think Black people just want to have the same kind of hair as White people. In fact a lot of Black people DO want the same hair as White people. What is the point of ignoring the obvious???

I have natural hair. I wear my natural hair. I still get asked, "is that your hair." Nobody is ignoring that folks wear wigs, weaves, and get relaxers. The point is, it's f*cking rude to go around tugging buns (done with marley hair in case you were wondering) and making a game out of the way people choose to wear the hair.

Don't get mad at Chris Rock for ... telling the TRUTH. I don't believe in keeping secrets ... just looks more and more like you are ashamed. Confused

As far as White people. or other groups wearing weaves/extensions etc .. well, it's not the 'same thing' and Black people wearing this hair. They are wearing hair that looks EXACTLY like their real hair .. its just longer/thicker. So they are not changing their hair texture completely in an effort to look like another group.

I guess those comments are directed to the other poster who mention Chris Rock. Although I will say that I didn't like Good Hair, and neither did any of natural hair friends. We felt he made it seem as if black women thought natural hair was not option, which is not reality for ME or the people in MY life.

I think that is the BIG disconnect in the Black community in terms of the weaves/wigs. The fact that when most Black women wear a weave etc .. it looks lonnng and completely unlike their real hair texture and when White people wear units it looks lonng but it looks exactly like their real hair. So ... it is believble.

Hey, I wear a Lace Wig myself! I love them! I tried different textures with varying degrees of satisfaction .. but they were no longer than 14 inches so I never got a lot of attention from the haters or suspected as false. Now I am in the Afro/curly units and wowwwww the hair looks A LOT like my natural hair so nobody thinks anything other than  'Hey, I love your afro!".Wink

I too prefer enhancements that resemble my hair, but with me length was the "giveaway" because my hair had been kept shaved for a year, then I started wearing La Efra (little sis wig of La Jay). So STRANGERS wouldn't know, coworkers would.

Now if White women suddenly decided afro hairstyles were kool and every other White girl had her natural hair permed into an afro or started wear afro weaves/wigs ... they would be getting weave checked right and left too. Hee hee! Why? Because it would be unbelieveable.

I am not saying everyone has gotta wear an afro textured head of hair. It's a free country and it's your money so you can wear whatever you want!

At the same time though .. you have to 'own' the hair that you are wearing and not get upset if people think that it's false. If the 'look' is too far away from what a head of hair looks like on a Black man or a lot of other Black woman or if the look is 'fantastic' etc.. it wil be suspected as being false.

I don't know how upset you think I am over this... but I really just think it's a rude question. If I think someone's boobs are fake, I don't feel compelled to let them know. It's one thing to be curious about it, and another thing to try to make someone a spectacle. 

No, ALL Black women do not wear weaves/wigs but if you line up 100 random Black women and 100 random White women .. the highest number of weave/wig wearers .. are gonna be the Black women.
Period. Confused Let's get real. (I don't care anything about celibs - I am talking about real women)

Again, don't get mad and flip out on me for telling you something that everyone else knows about the Black community and 'hair'.

I really just want people to act like they have manners and be less inappropriate.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Some black men are willing participants in this bullshyt, though. Not trying to put all the blame on them because it's not. But about a month ago, I had a curly weave in for about 2 weeks (It looked good but I decided to take it out because of my edges) and I was walking down a busy street downtown. There were 3 dudes hanging out at a corner, 2 black, one white. The 2 black guys were there trying to pick up white women, some of which were dumb enough to actually stop and talk to them when they got cat-called. So I'm on the sidewalk walking and I hear the white guy tell one of the black guys that I looked good. Do you know that the first thing this coon did was reply that I had a weave on my head and go on and keep cat-calling the white chicks passing by? Meanwhile, I'm feeling the white guy staring at the top of my head, all disoriented as I pass him by. I don't know why he felt the need to bring me down while chasing them Beckys on the corner...  And I do blame Chris Rock for putting our business in the street like that. I remember when he was joking with those Brits about Michelle Obama's hair. I don't care that you are a comedian, he had no business doing that.

Smh black men and white people are the harshest critics of black women. That's why I don't entertain either group.
tabbikay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by dorislesure dorislesure wrote:

Different people (cowokers, customers, friend of a friend). I think they ask me in particular because I'm generally a calm person and I don't make them feel uncomfortable about being curious. 

juliagulia0909 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

And I do blame Chris Rock for putting our business in the street like that. I remember when he was joking with those Brits about Michelle Obama's hair. I don't care that you are a comedian, he had no business doing that.

Smh black men and white people are the harshest critics of black women. That's why I don't entertain either group.

really though? "our business"??? i dont think its that big of a secret. yes a lot of people dont know but, enough people do it for it to already be "in the streets". Wendy Williams already has that taken care of. he was making a documentry about the legnths that black women will go to for "good hair" because it has been getting to the point natural "nappy" is uglier than smooth silky hair.
juliagulia0909 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by tabbikay tabbikay wrote:

Originally posted by juliagulia0909 juliagulia0909 wrote:

my boyfriend is white and i kinda told him about the whole weave thing and whatnot. and unfortunately he too felt it ok to straight up talk about others hair.
This was the case with the guy spying for lace fronts, apparently a black male coworker told him "all black girls were lace fronts" and here we are.

Before hand he and others would had never known that most black women were wearing weaves so now , yes, its kinda like a game and every girl they see they now know that more than likely shes wearing a weave and they feel special to know that they can tell the difference...to them its probably like asking someone if they are wearing makeup, its not the rudest question in the world just inappropriate.
It's a little... inaccurate to think (and tell others) that more than likely every [black] girl is wearing weave. Where I work we have 14 WOC, only 4 of us wear weaves/wigs off and on. 

ok maybe "more than likely" isnt the correct term.. "alot" would maybe be better. me and my bf work at the same place and out of maybe 20 woc workers about 3 or 4 dont wear weaves. Obviously our situations arent indicative of the general public but you can imagine the surprise to learn that alot of your black coworkers have weaves.

and I understand the whole black wedding thing. every culture has their own rituals and sometimes you want to know what to expect. Im african and I had no idea what jumping the broom was...on the flip side im sure some african americans would ask what to expect at an african wedding.

Yeah... I have to tell you, we all don't "jump the broom." I got married in may, my sister got married in February, two friends of mine got married last October and NONE us jumped the broom. I didn't even know it was supposed to be a "black thing." I thought it was a silly questions because as an African Americans, we all follow the standard wedding script with variation depending on COUPLE. It's not like he got transported to a different country (or The Continent).
You know what to be honest this is news to me..why ? because I have never been to an African American Wedding and I dont have that many African American friends thats have gotten married. Each race has huge (sometimes subtle though) culture differences, even if you were born and raised in the same country. I cant blame that guy because im pretty much in the same boat. just innocent ignorance on our parts! If no one has ever told you, how would you know? 
tabbikay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by juliagulia0909 juliagulia0909 wrote:

Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

And I do blame Chris Rock for putting our business in the street like that. I remember when he was joking with those Brits about Michelle Obama's hair. I don't care that you are a comedian, he had no business doing that.

really though? "our business"??? i dont think its that big of a secret. yes a lot of people dont know but, enough people do it for it to already be "in the streets". Wendy Williams already has that taken care of. he was making a documentry about the legnths that black women will go to for "good hair" because it has been getting to the point natural "nappy" is uglier than smooth silky hair.

I will say that while my natural friends and I did not like the movie, my ratchet ex-roomie who thinks that any shiny/plastic/barbie hair is better than hers, was slightly moved by the film (not moved enough to stop wearing that crap hair).

However, when it comes to BHM, most of us are not crazy and we like hair that actually looks like it might be growing out of our head. So people do not want to be associated with the likes of Wendy Williams, because that isn't what they look like when they go down the street, nor is it their aim. 

I would think people responding to a post in the weaves section of the forum would know that.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic