Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is natural hair high or low maintenance?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
keepgrowing View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keepgrowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 7:29pm
higggggh to the 10th power.
Sponsored Links

Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

What qualifies as low maintenance & high maintenance hairstyles and regimens for you ladies?

low maintenence=protective/low manip. styles, my simple regimen of prepoo/wash/DC/rinse/air dry and twist for the week

high maintenence=a long, lengthy wash day and/or doing full wash days 2xwk (i used to do this when i first started ConfusedLOL), high manip. hairstyles on a daily basis, or a leave out that is straightened multiple times a wk

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 8:05pm
If I want my hair to look cute its never low maintence.
I just do straight wet buns and its low maintence but not particularly cute.

I like my protective styles with added hair
AshBash89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 8:07pm
Lower and it's growing faster.  I'm lazy, so I do wash and gos even though I have 4b/4c hair or I'll do a twist out. 
SweetNovember* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

So long as you don't have a good regimen down, any hair texture is high maintenance.  It also depends on the type of hair styles you prefer.  I usually have protective styles so my natural hair is very low maintenance.

You've been natural for some years now right? How long is your hair?
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 8:58pm
Are people looking for some hairstyle ideas? Pics will be posted right?Evil Smile
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

So long as you don't have a good regimen down, any hair texture is high maintenance.  It also depends on the type of hair styles you prefer.  I usually have protective styles so my natural hair is very low maintenance.

You've been natural for some years now right? How long is your hair?

Girllllll.  I've had a long journey.  My hair should be at my booty by now but its only shoulder length last I checked.

I went natural in 2007, I permed a year later.  Went natural again in 2009 then in 2011 I dyed my hair and it broke off badly and only realized it because my hair was the same length it was when I colored and 9 months had elapsed.  Fast forward to last July I got tired of watching my hair break off slowly so I just cut all my colored ends off which only left me with a couple inches. 

The beauty of it is that I just came back from a year in Nigeria and braids, twists and cornrows are super cheap there so it was easy to grow my hair out with protective styles.  Removing of braids is $3, washing is $2, and getting your hair braided by 2-3 people is about $30 at a nice salon.  All I did was just spray my hair at night with a combination of glycerine, water, and olive oil.  By the time I left a couple weeks ago my hair went from a TWA last July to long enough to put in a pony tail in June.

My lesson through this long journey is my hair hates chemicals and flourishes when its left alone. 
Miss SDY View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss SDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 10:45pm
When I was natural, it was high bc I couldn't nail a consistent regimen to help my hair thrive. Im tex-laxed now and transitioning back to natural, or at the very least stretching until July 2014 in which I may either relax straight or chop off. Ill be 17 months post then.

Hopefully if I decide to go back to natural, I can figure out what my hair truly loves..
RachelRegina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RachelRegina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 10:48pm
For me it's higher maintence but I prefer to be natural.
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 2:13pm
If you have the right products and right method, your hair can be low maintenance.

Natural kinky and/or curly hair can end up being high maintenance if the products that are used dehydrate the hair.

And of course your styling choices will determine just how high maintenance it will be.

It also depends on how your hair responds to water where wet detangling is concerned(does the water weigh your hair down or does it look the same wet or dry but just acts differently?). You might have to tweak the method to get the job done quicker, by dividing hair in to sections if your hair is dense(this can be as little as two sections).
You may even feel the need for dry detangling with water in a spritz bottle and enough conditioner for slip so that you are in control of the water, which will avoid the hair from tangling up.

Some choose finger detangling over hair tools( like a wide toothed comb, or denman style brush) and benefit while some (like myself) benefit from having a tool to detangle. Finding out what is best can save so much time.

Hard water is also a pain in the butt and will require a suitable cleanser to remove the build up.

Also moisturizing and sealing on damp hair(that actually feels damp) on a wash day instead of hair that looks damp but really still is wet also makes a positive difference in the way products are absorbed by the hair.

Basically the way your hair absorbs moisture will determine the products and methods necessary.

And a regular deep condition can help keep your moisture balance in check.

As for me, the more I learn about my hair the less maintenance I have.

All textures have their options to be low maintenance, but yes some textures require a lower maintenance than others, that's just the truth. It doesn't have to be high maintenance though.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic