Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Is natural hair a "statement"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 5:27am
I went natural during the whole lets go natural thing.
Now I'm natural bc I like it and my hair has variety and since I knew nothing about hair care relaxers were a pain.
If I knew more about hair care before I would have remained relaxed.

I do think natural hair is political there isn't much that black people do that isn't turned into a politics.

For a considerable amount of folk I don't think it's "just" hair though.
Some people really see relaxing, weave, etc as a neccesary cosmetic tweak to look presentable and not just for variety though.

I think the younger generation doesn't have the same issues as the older ones now.
So the old perceptions of natural hair are changing so soon it will truly be just hair.

Edited by jonesable - Mar 04 2013 at 5:35am
Sponsored Links

AmyAmyAmy View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote AmyAmyAmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 5:30am
I just want long hair
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 5:33am
Originally posted by AmyAmyAmy AmyAmyAmy wrote:

I just want long hair

LOL
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 5:40am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Now I'm natural bc I like it and my hair has variety and since I knew nothing about hair care relaxers were a pain.

I do think natural hair is political there isn't much that black people do that isn't turned into a politics.

Some people really see relaxing, weave, etc as a neccesary cosmetic tweak to look presentable and not just for variety though.

I think the younger generation doesn't have the same issues as the older ones now.
So the old perceptions of natural hair are changing so soon it will truly be just hair.

this would insinuate that natural hair is not presenatble .. i never understood that argument

then there are other arguments to this natural hair craze that some people questiond (ludicrously if i may add) like you have to have a certain shape of face or look to rock natural hair

babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyk94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 5:43am
For me it is, hair has never been just hair for me. I've been relaxed,natural,texturized, and then now natural again. I've had a lot of issues with my hair so it's more deep for me.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 5:45am
I really know people who think like that in " magic negro land".
I'm sure it isn't isolated to my little town either but who knows maybe everybody else everywhere else has no issues whatsoever with their hair.

Edited by jonesable - Mar 04 2013 at 5:47am
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 5:47am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

this would insinuate that natural hair is not presenatble .. i never understood that argument

then there are other arguments to this natural hair craze that some people questiond (ludicrously if i may add) like you have to have a certain shape of face or look to rock natural hair

This statement irks me so bad.  I hear it so much.  Like, what does that even mean?  Weren't you born with natural hair?
Lilnicka4u2nv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lilnicka4u2nv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Naturalchick30 Naturalchick30 wrote:

This statement irks me so bad.  I hear it so much.  Like, what does that even mean?  Weren't you born with natural hair?

and don't forget "grade of hair"...I didnt even understand what that meant when I first heard it, like how do you grade hair? 

I will never believe the "It's just hair" comments from most women of any race...If they were to wake up with hair on their pillow they would be crying...
Lilnicka4u2nv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilnicka4u2nv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 6:42am

im a guy, and because of such, thats one of the few topics im am not 'eligible' to speak on or even question

shoot even my most begnin topics are considered entrampment.

it would quickly crumble into a 'men tryna tell women what to do with their bodies and heads and whatever else' thread

however, do you remember the thread that was made about whether mrs obama should sport herself a natural hair style?

and I disagree, black mens view of BW hair DO have an effect on how BW view their hair whether they would like to admit it or not....

Black men have black hair and the issues that come along with it too...Women weren't and still arent the only ones putting chemicals in their hair to look "presentable"...

Edited by Lilnicka4u2nv - Mar 04 2013 at 6:43am
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 6:48am
or wolfing!!

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic