BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is natural hair a "statement"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if some only go natural as a trend because they see others doing it rather than going natural because they truly want to embrace their natural hair.
Guilty . After wearing Weaves on and off for many years , BHM taught me Perms and Weaves where not a good mix in my case lol . I use my pressing comb on my leave out and call it day . I will TL my leave out in the summer .
Sponsored Links

SweetNovember* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if some only go natural as a trend because they see others doing it rather than going natural because they truly want to embrace their natural hair.
I do think its a trend for many who see natural hairstyles and think "that's hot" or "different." But I don't see anything wrong with one thinking one's own hair is fashionable for a change.
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 10:41pm
The statement is in the mind of the beholder.  
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

Yesssss!! *high fives*
These doll dress up games are so addictive.LOL
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 12:54am
Honestly I went natural without all the fanfare. I was wearing weaves for the longest time and didn't see the point in relaxing my hair if I wasn't going to wear it out. Eventually, I started wearing my own hair out and that's when I put an emphasis on actually taking care of my hair, etc.

Personally, my hair is not a political statement, or a massive "eff you" to white/mainstream culture. It's hair that I take care of and want to look good whether I wear it straight, curly or am weaved up or have it under the wig.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 2:25am
the other way to look at this question is, 'is not going natural a sign of low self esteem and conformity?'

that would have been a much more intersting question

and just for good measure, shout out to malcolm x and angela davis

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 3:52am
^Interesting. You should make the topic Afro. Be sure to duck the afro pics and flat irons that will be coming for you tho.LOL
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 3:58am
im a guy, and because of such, thats one of the few topics im am not 'eligible' to speak on or even question

shoot even my most begnin topics are considered entrampment.

it would quickly crumble into a 'men tryna tell women what to do with their bodies and heads and whatever else' thread

however, do you remember the thread that was made about whether mrs obama should sport herself a natural hair style?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 4:05am
^Somewhat. I still want a pic of her in the White House backyard with a twa and the President with his du-rag on just chillin'.Approve

lol since you can't really make the topic, I need someone else to make it...on a Friday.
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 5:19am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Originally posted by MizzAmirah MizzAmirah wrote:

For some it is....I think those who make it a big deal such as an "identity" thing may suffer a bit from low self-esteem in one way or another, cus they're the same people that would bash others for a hair-related issue (aka "natural nazis"). It's not that serious. It's just frikkin hair., whether it's nice and healthy, kinky, curly, or Indian remy. 

Yep, for some it is.

Just like light skin/dark skin thing etc ... these people have self esteem issues that they mask in their bombardment of insults to other people that make other choices with their hair. Who cares? These folks are petty and judgemental.

I wore a TWA for 30 years .. even did a little face modeling for Ebony magazine back in the day. Black folks mainly had a problem with it though - so sad. Then yearsss later I had health problems etc.. which lead to hair problems etc so I started with the lace wigs - indian remy etc. They looked good ... only now I am in kinky curly lace wigs and woooow. I wear a big curly afro and with the new hair products for very curly hair I can manage it nicely.  Yes, does take extra time to manage but it's worth it.. because it looks so GREAT!

I get so many compliments from White people actually - Black folks still have a problem with it Confused but it look like the old natural me!!!

But .. whether you wear natural, permed, weaves, braids, locs, wigs ... it's a free country and nobody deserves to be beatened up over their hair. Ouch

I've noticed that too...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>