Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is natural hair a "statement"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 3:41am
I went natural because I want to have all my hair on my head when I'm an old lady.
Sponsored Links

ShadyLady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote ShadyLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 4:06am
I didn't go natural on purpose.

I wore sew- ins pretty much back to back for 5 years. About 6 months into it, I didn't see the point of relaxing it since you couldn't see most of my hair under the weave and I was able to blend my leave-out easily without relaxers.

Between every sew in, I'd wash, deep condition and trim. Little did I know I was slowly but surely cutting off my relaxed hair. About a year and a half ago, I decided to wear my real hair more often. When I went to the salon to finally get it relaxed and done, the stylist noticed my hair had gotten crazy long and I only had a couple of inches of relaxed hair left. She pretty much begged me not to "destroy my hair" so I just decided to cut them off and press my real hair.

I noticed my wraps looked more full, bouncy and healthy without chemicals so I stick to it. I also loved being able to wet and moisturize my hair and have a totally different look.

There was no method or reasoning, political or otherwise. I still wear weaves heavily, and it has nothing to do with shame. I get compliments natural, straightened, with our without weave. It's just hair to me at the end of the day.
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 8:38am
For some people it is a statement (regardless of their color); for me, not so much. I just didn't want relaxers anymore. My hair is healthier and I feel beautiful the way I am. No need to suffer for a look I don't even like and pay for the privledge.

Ain't nobody got time for that.
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 9:22am
Sweet November, I am so glad you made this thread pertaining to natural hair. 

I like a page on FB and the woman who runs it is constantly preaching! here is her latest statement today (Mothers Day is next week here)

Good morning!

One week to celebrate mothering Sunday!!!

Sadly I don't particularly look forward to this,

But I love mothers and xxxxxxxxxxxxxx celebrates all women!!!

So I'm going to give a free gift to a very special mother....

Send me pictures of your mother before Wednesday and I'll upload and the mother with the most vote will win an xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!

The requirements are you must be in the UK, if you're of an Afro descent your mother must have natural hair, however if you're not an afro descent and you're of Caucasian, Asian descent then that's fine.....

Please send clear non portrait pictures to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The deadline is Wednesday!!

Don't wait till the commercialization of this world says you should celebrate your mother,

Everyday is a celebration of motherhood,

Count your blessings not everyone is privileged to do so.....

As someone promptly replied:

That's a bit unfair. If your mother doesn't have natural hair she doesn't deserve a chance to win a prize?

She replies: no that's far from it, but it just happens to be the way I do things, if I said otherwise I wouldn't be able to choose there would be so many entries, but hence why I stipulated that if your mother isn't of an afro decent then that's OK, giving our Caucasian and Asian sisters a chance to participate..

The woman then replies: Lol... about caucasian and asian descent... are you saying it is fine for them to have fake/unnatural hair and not us... Hmmm doesnt make sense. A mother is a great mother regardless of her hair! My mum is natural but when she processed her hair she wasnt less deserving. Its a shame you do things that way. Alienating a whole group if great mothers based on hair.

She replies: I'm sorry you see no sense in this, however it's not to make anyone feel less appreciated. it is the only way to make it easier and less complicated for me, I can see other people complaining because it's UK only.....I have many requirements that I must adhere to for my exhibition, one requires me to have natural hair otherwise I cannot exhibit others complain, but for me I see nothing wrong with it it's about what they're promoting...

It just rubbed me the wrong way. I will also post her other statement she wrote yesterday that made me raise my eyebrow, lol. 

texasmami0117 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote texasmami0117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 9:34am
Thinking of returning to natural (thanks ashbash Wink) I'm 19 weeks post.

It started just from so much breakage and damaged hair. What good is APL hair if it's all unhealthy?

I think most don't mean for it to be a statement but when everyone keeps asking you why? why? why did you go natural? you have to make a statement. you have to let it be known.

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 10:34am
This sh*t ain't makin' no statements today.
Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 10:51am
My natural hair is a statement, it's a statement that I no longer
*accept societys standard of beauty
*need to alter my hairs appearance by perms or eurocentric hair weaves
*addicted to the false sense of beauty and attention that come with wearing a eurocentric weave
*have ever wanted to straighten it, I've had perms before I know what it looks like
*accept that my hair has to be something other than what it is...

Edited by Bored w/Out Me? - Mar 03 2013 at 11:02am
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 10:57am
it is not a statement where i am from. women are natural and wear their hair straight, puffs, fros, twists, twist outs, braids, weaves, etc.  
greenttby View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenttby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 6:47pm
I don't know. I saw a YouTube video of a lady with crochet braids . The braids were like Cree summer/ ray drink Chung type if hair. Everyone complimented me on how beautiful I looked. It's been almost a year and when I went to get my hair braided after 9 months, I mentioned that that would be my last session and I was going back to my beautician for my relaxer. She informed me that I only had a few inches on relaxer on my hair. I haven't seen my natural hair in 30 yrs. it's been a year and I wash and condition my hair and keep it braided. I m afraid and don't know what to do from here. I have always hated the suffering from the relaxer, so it wasn't hard to do. My hair is ear length and I think I wil get it pressed when I stop wearing the braids.
greenttby View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenttby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 6:48pm
Lower ear length.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System