Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Is natural hair a "statement"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SweetNovember* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is natural hair a "statement"?
    Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 2:36am
Is it political? Sure we can say that natural hair is simply what we are without the fluff, but what makes us want to go natural? Is it a rejection of white standards of beauty? Is it giving up trying to make relaxers work as part of a healthy hair regimen--second best? Is it only fit for certain settings and environments? Is there anyone who went natural without a conscious reason, just because? Why do some natural women spend half or more of their time in public in straight/curly weaves and wigs? Are they afraid of how they will be perceived?  Will there ever come a time when being yourself is not a "journey"? When natural hair isn't seen as trying to make some type of point? Will natural hair ever become the rule instead of the exception?
Sponsored Links

f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 2:38am
girl your on a natural hair rollllLOL
AshBash89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 2:46am
Life is a journey, hair is only a small part of it. You don't go natural, you return to
It...don't mind me, I'm just channeling my inner Maya.
Anah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Anah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 2:46am
It seems to be a statement in the Black community
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 2:49am
I grew up natural.  Got my first relaxer at 16 and it never felt like me.  I always felt like an impostor in my own skin.  Especially when people would compliment my hair.  It was beautiful but I didn't feel like my reflection in the mirror.   Plus when I washed it it felt flat and I have very thick hair and I missed feeling it.

Honestly I am most comfortable closest to bald.  I can rock the heck out of a TWA with no apologies but my hair grows pretty fast so it proved to be more upkeep than I liked and I missed my long hair.

So I'm locked and couldn't be happier.  I have thick, healthy, happy low maintenance hair.  Nothing political about it whatsoever.  I have always worked in the medical field and never experienced any sort of rejection regarding my appearance.  

I haven't worn a wig in over a year and probably closer to two.  I liked the versatility but my husband hates them.  He loves my dreads and so do I so they win.  I know I will someday shave my head again but I want to keep them at least until I'm 40.  
MizzAmirah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MizzAmirah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 2:49am
For some it is....I think those who make it a big deal such as an "identity" thing may suffer a bit from low self-esteem in one way or another, cus they're the same people that would bash others for a hair-related issue (aka "natural nazis"). It's not that serious. It's just frikkin hair., whether it's nice and healthy, kinky, curly, or Indian remy. 
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 2:50am
if you felt chained to your relaxer or weave, then finally embracing yourself is a personal statement
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 2:54am
Originally posted by Anah Anah wrote:

It seems to be a statement in the Black community

Black people seem to have the strongest opinions about my hair.  I've heard everything from, "We have evolved from that" to "I wish I had the guts to loc."  

My father hated my hair in the beginning and now i think he sees that it's just hair and I'm still me.  Plus I think it getting longer helped.  

We definitely have length issues in our community though!  

Throwback story:  When I wore a relaxer my hair was pretty long.  I wanted it cut Halle short so I went to the salon and had the barber hook it up.  My husband was there but we hadn't met yet.  I was the outrage of the shop that day cutting off all that hair.  Dude even said he'd be pissed if I was his woman.  
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 3:21am
Originally posted by MizzAmirah MizzAmirah wrote:

For some it is....I think those who make it a big deal such as an "identity" thing may suffer a bit from low self-esteem in one way or another, cus they're the same people that would bash others for a hair-related issue (aka "natural nazis"). It's not that serious. It's just frikkin hair., whether it's nice and healthy, kinky, curly, or Indian remy. 

Yep, for some it is.

Just like light skin/dark skin thing etc ... these people have self esteem issues that they mask in their bombardment of insults to other people that make other choices with their hair. Who cares? These folks are petty and judgemental.

I wore a TWA for 30 years .. even did a little face modeling for Ebony magazine back in the day. Black folks mainly had a problem with it though - so sad. Then yearsss later I had health problems etc.. which lead to hair problems etc so I started with the lace wigs - indian remy etc. They looked good ... only now I am in kinky curly lace wigs and woooow. I wear a big curly afro and with the new hair products for very curly hair I can manage it nicely.  Yes, does take extra time to manage but it's worth it.. because it looks so GREAT!

I get so many compliments from White people actually - Black folks still have a problem with it Confused but it look like the old natural me!!!

But .. whether you wear natural, permed, weaves, braids, locs, wigs ... it's a free country and nobody deserves to be beatened up over their hair. Ouch
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 3:34am
no.... you are born with it
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic