Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Care - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

is low porosity more desirable?

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
TemiM1993 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TemiM1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is low porosity more desirable?
    Posted: Nov 08 2013 at 7:41am

Now that the colder months are upon us i've been finding it increasingly difficult to keep my hair mousturised. During the warmer months I used products such as S-curl cause of the high glycerin content which really works for me. but as we know glycerin has the opposite effect during winter. i've tried a lot of the popular mousturisers and leave ins (elasta qp mango butter, kera care butter cream, mixed chicks leave in, hello hydration mouisturising mix) - none of them worked!

anyways, after searching the web I started to think I might have low porosity hair. when I saw a post somewhere saying that low porosity hair loved products with a high amount of humectants e.g. glycerin, I was 99% sure. 

Here are my problems though

1. it seems that most people (especially those who relax/texlax their hair like I do) who have porosity issues tend to have problems with high porosity. meaning their hair absorbs moisture, but cant keep it in. so i'm finding it hard to find info

2. whenever I did find info that claimed to help solve porosity issues, it usually only stated the problems with low porosity hair, and not how to solve it. the few that did offer tips on solving it talked about changing the pH and raising the cuticles

3. for every article I found claiming that lifting the cuticle will solve my problems, I found another warning about the dangers of doing this. Infact, it is my understanding that most people want to get their hair to a point whereby the cuticles lay flat and don't release moisture - in other words, low porosity. right!!??

I'M CONFUSED!!!

should I be attempting to lift my cuticles or not? and if the answer is no, then how do I increase my moisture intake. I already deep condition with heat every week. what else can I do?

p.s. sorry this is so long

Sponsored Links

SinCityKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SinCityKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2013 at 9:07am
I have low porosity hair and I learned this the hard way.... If you have low porosity hair and you put too much product,oils,etc on your hair you are clogging the cuticles. So any product that you apply afterwards is just sitting on top of your hair strands making it harder to retain moisture. 

Do you think that you could have clogged your cuticles? 

It took me yrs to figure out what I was doing wrong girl so I feel your pain. Now I wear sew-ins about 5-6 months out of the yr but when I don't...I wash my hair with a clarifying shampoo once a week. Then use a hair steamer, then apply my deep conditioner and this works for me. My hair hardly ever gets dry in the winter since I've been doing this. I ALWAYS steam my hair before deep conditioning and applying a leave-in conditioner trust me, a good hair steamer is a girl with low porosity hair best friend lol....and silicone based products are your worst enemy.  

BTW: Have you done a porosity test on your to ensure that you have low porosity hair?

TemiM1993 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TemiM1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2013 at 2:25pm
wow thanks so much for the feedback. your theory makes a lot of sense! i have actually heard of girls who prefer to use sulfate based shampoos exactly for its stripping properties. maybe this is why. i'll definitely give it a shot

yes I did do the test. literally HOURS went by and that strand did not shrink! twice!

but just to be clear...you said you steam before deep conditioning? how does that work? do you sit underneath the dryer before applying your DC then sit under it again?

also if you don't mind me asking, what moisturiser/leave in do you use. theres still a part of me that hopes i'll find that miracle product
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2013 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by SinCityKitty SinCityKitty wrote:

I have low porosity hair and <span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">I learned this the hard way.... If you have low porosity hair and you put too much product,oils,etc on your hair you are clogging the cuticles. So any product that you apply afterwards is just sitting on top of your hair strands making it harder to retain moisture. </span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">Do you think that you could have clogged your cuticles? </span>
</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">It took me yrs to figure out what I was doing wrong girl so I feel your pain. Now I wear sew-ins about 5-6 months out of the yr but when I don't...I wash my hair with a clarifying shampoo once a week. Then use a hair steamer, then apply my deep conditioner and this works for me. My hair hardly ever gets dry in the winter since I've been doing this. I ALWAYS steam my hair before deep conditioning and applying a leave-in conditioner trust me, a good hair steamer is a girl with low porosity hair </span>best friend<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;"> lol....and silicone based products are your worst enemy.  </span>
</span>
BTW: Have you done a porosity test on your to ensure that you have low porosity hair?
</span>

This should help, another is 'GHE', which should also create warmth, thus penetration of moisture.

HHG
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair