Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
nicks_hotmama06 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it my fault????
    Posted: Feb 08 2009 at 5:35pm

That my son is allergic to peanuts???

When I was pregnant I was finnatical about avoiding the no-no....I woud not even take the tylenol my doctor recommended for my preecampsia related headaches. I got food poisoning and they gave me a prescription for something that would make me stop puking....and I was too afraid to have it filled for fear of hurting my baby.

I cut out the guilty pleasures and traded them for healthier choices.
One snack that I was recommended that contained fruit and protein and was absoutely delicious - granny smith apples with peanut butter on club crackers. for at least two months I craved this every night. No one ever tod me to limit my peanut butter intake.....peanut butter was in some of the recipes for healthful subsitutions that I was given....it was not a no-no!!!!!

When my son was about a year old, we discovered after a trip to the allergist, that he had several food allergies (eggs and soy)....but the most severe was to peanuts (when he was about 7 months I let him taste some I was eating. His eyelids, swelled and he got red whelp marks on his face and would not stop rubbing his eyes. I didn't feed it too him again, but when I ate it, the same thing happened so I had to stop eating it and ask his pediatrician who referred us to an allergist)

So now, he has the Epipen and I know what to do in case of a severe allergic reaction. My aunt even cooks him little chickens at holidays instead of him eating the fried turkey (which is fried in peanut oil).

Well, I was researching how preggos should have their steaks cooked, and the book talked about the number of peanut allergies growing in children, mostly because so many products contain peanuts, or peanut products. But it also said that mothers who ate peanuts or peanut products regularly during pregnancy were 3 timese more likely to have a child with peanut allergies....although there have never been conclusive studies to completely prove or disprove this theory.

I love chic-fil-a.....but they fry their chicken in peanut oil....so I can't have it if he is around. I have to sneak it and then brush my teeth so when I kiss him, I don't contaminate him.

I feel like it is my fault that my son has this allergy. Like  I am a bad mother. I have to be very careful what I feed him and make sure others know about his allergies (like when he starts school or stays with a relative). Also, I won't be able to feed his siblings peanuts or peanut products because he would not understand why he can not have them but bro/sis can.....this is the way children think and I am afraid he would do something that could hurt him, so I want to eliminate the risk. All this only makes me feel worseOuch

Pregnant again and I had been eating peanut butter again....until today.....

ETA: if u notice missing L's it is because my L key is sticking....sorry

Edited by nicks_hotmama06 - Feb 08 2009 at 5:38pm
Sponsored Links

Haitienne Pearl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2009 at 10:32pm
What happened to you might have happened to my mom with both me and my brother.

When she was pregnant of me she told me that they only things she was craving were fish, peanut butter and green peas puree. I was born allergic to them 3...

When she was pregnant of my brother, I remember that she was eating eggs like there was no tomorrow: boiled, fried, omelette, name it and guess what my brother is allergic to eggs.

BUT these are my only examples

because I have many friends who are of West African descent and a lot of their diet include peanuts (in oil, sauce, with meat etc...) and we can guess that their mom ate a lot of them when pregnant of them and until today I have yet to meet a West African allergic to peanutsLOL

So what make a child allergic to something, really I cannot tell....Ermm

eta: Forgot to say the most important! NicksHotmama, big hug to you Hug and don't feel guilty, your son will be alright: said by a lady allergic to up to 10 things if not moreOuchLOL

Edited by Haitienne Pearl - Feb 08 2009 at 10:40pm
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 3:47am

Lol....thanks Haitienne. HugMy hubby said that too.

I ate a lot of Pizza Hut when I was pregnant with him....he is not allergic to that and loves it to death! go figure.....

Guess I should lay off the Croissanwhichs and Sunny Delight this go around, lol
misscheeca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 9:29am
Don't blame yourself, blame the government. Look at the elders they ate pretty much what they wanted and their children did not suffer nowhere near as much as children today. There are many theory's but I believe it's the combination of ingredients that are placed in our food.

My godson has the same allergies as you mentioned. His 5 and they are finding that his tolerance for certain food is higher. Her doctor recommended giving him 1 scoop of eggs every now and then to help build up a tolerance in his body. So she has done this and it's working. The only item she does not give him at all is seafood. He is majorly allergic to seafood.
jamaicangurl100 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 5:04pm
I dont think its you. I think it has a lot to do with how things are being processed. I love fruit. So does my family. My mom ate a lot of fruit when she was pregnant with me, I did with my kids as well. I am now allergic to a lot of "American" fruits (plums, peaches, nectarines, cherries, apples). However I can eat Caribbean fruits without a problem. When i eat fruits from Jamaica, I dont have a problem. I dont know....go figure...Didnt have this problem until more recent years...I guess research would say its just catching up to me??LOL
Amby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 8:40pm
I say the weird stuff they put into food these days!
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2009 at 2:29am
Thanks for your ideas/ responses ladies. Wow. It is amazing the amount and types of food allergies that exist today. It really must be all the pesticides they spray on produce and all the hormones they shoot into the animals to get them to adulthood in half the time GOD intended. I am seriously contemplating going all organic.......

MissC.....I did hear about a study where they are trying to bulid up the tolerance to peanuts in kids by increasing exposure over time. I will ask his allergist about that. He eats foods that contain eggs and soy (bread, baked goods, etc) and really doesn't seem to have problems other than eczema (doc says that is related to his food allergies but actually is runs on both sides of his gene pool). I just don't give him scrambled, boiled or any other prepared egg dishes. So I think there is something to the exposure theory.
misscheeca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2009 at 6:57am
Eczema is definitely an allergic reaction. My godson has eczema as well. So does his mom but when she changed up her diet she notice less flare ups. She will not commit to eating cleaner all around but she can acknowledge that it is the food causing her the eczema. She is better with feeding the kids the right foods than herself.
Haitienne Pearl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2009 at 9:11am
Originally posted by nicks_hotmama06 nicks_hotmama06 wrote:

Lol....thanks Haitienne. HugMy hubby said that too.

I ate a lot of Pizza Hut when I was pregnant with him....he is not allergic to that and loves it to death! go figure.....

Guess I should lay off the Croissanwhichs and Sunny Delight this go around, lol

Embarrassedsending hugs backHug

He will be fine Big%20smile
and as for the unborn one, go ahead and eat what you want because as we can notice; we can't put a finger on what to do or what not to concerning the allergies....Ouch

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic