Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is it harder for a man to be masculine or for a
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Is it harder for a man to be masculine or for a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 1.57  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 4:17am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Originally posted by ThABxBoRoUgH ThABxBoRoUgH wrote:

Its definitely "harder" for a man to be masculine for sure. Men have to fit into this box of what it is to be a man. Being a man is not being a women, not being gay, etc. When you step out of those confines as a man, you are immediately put in check by men, women, and society at large. There is a culture of hegemonic masculinity that men are pressured into performing. Word to Sociology on this one. 

I agree. Being a man is considered a step above being a woman. Which is why we hear things like "Now that's a real man!" "Stop bitching and be a man!" "Stop acting like a female/hoe/bitch/etc!" "Most of these black men didn't have fathers in their lives so they don't know how to be men."

Feminine is considered the default state of being. You have to step up if you want to be considered masculine.

Now that you elaborated, I do see your point. I do think men have more restricting expectations because its clear masculinity has a very linear and caricaturized image. It's also so ironic that masculinity is upheld as strong and superior yet femininity in its perceived inferiority can easily compromise the strong and infallible masculinity.

I think.. men have overly linear and high expectations while women have ridiculous and dichotomous expectations, hopefully I'm discerning this correctly.

All this is expected of men compared with women is rather insulting to women imo. We're not expected to be leaders.
Sponsored Links

Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 4:24am

Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

I think it's a lot easier to be feminine because you really don't have to anything to be feminine. Guys are expected to act a certain way though.

We're expected to be perfect all the time while dealing with hypocritical standards, unnecessary policing of our bodies, unspoken responsibility of the male in cases of sexual violence, and dichotomous standards in general to balance, all with less pay and we don't have to do anything to be feminine? LOL

Feminine as in woman-like? No, we don't have to do anything.

"Is it hard to be perceived as feminine?" is a totally separate question to me from "Is is hard being a woman?"

Then forget my previous post. LOL However, I think I still do partially disagree because inherent femininity seems to be subjective, especially by race. Like take us for example, we are stereotyped to be masculine and all sorts of demonizing thing because we are black women. While black males are hypermasculinized and celebrated for such reasons, black women are perceived to be masculine and aggressive females thus making us undesirable. Even though it's evident this is such a stupid assumption to make with all the feminine black women out there, we're expected to fit a masculine box.

Even to the feminine black women out there, let them show any sign of life outside their portrayed femininity and they immediately get dismissed as masculine and deemed typical. Because of these expectations by default, black women have to do twice as much to be perceived as feminine. So to say we don't have to do anything to be feminine, I can't say I fully agree.

Maybe to a white woman or even an Asian woman, perceived femininity would require very little to be achieved. But that is certainly not the case for all.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 5:09am
Black women are seen as masculine, tho. 
And I'm quite alright with that. 
patternsandtexture View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patternsandtexture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 6:29am
Hmmm, good discussion.
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 7:15am
Aww I don't think black women are seen as masculine.  Sometimes we're seen as over feminized. If someone mocked a stereotypical black woman's speech and mannerisms nothing would be masculine about it, just ghetto.

HunnyB View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HunnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 7:48am
I think it's harder for women to be maintained

...most men don't need to cowash 3-4 times a week, comb their hair, deep condition, get their nails manicured, wear heels, etc.

Men aren't judged as hard when it comes to their looks.

patternsandtexture View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patternsandtexture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 8:02am
I think it's the same. Men are judged for appearances just not as hashly as women. But we are judge by being masculine and strong and not showing not one sign of weakness.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic