Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Talk Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs It Breaking or Shedding?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
SHall92749 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is It Breaking or Shedding?
    Posted: Oct 23 2003 at 9:38pm
Hair Simply Goes Through Stages In It's Life Cycle

1)Growth- It grows
2)Rest- It stops
3a)Shedding- It falls out. But don't worry, it's natural and a new hair follicle underneath replaces it.
*) Unless you pulled it out, then it might never grow (Hey 1 down and thousands more to go! Lol)

Here are details:

Growth

1)It grows to it's maximum length determined by your genes and whether you let it grow (whether you cut it or accidently break it off from combs, brushes, ect.)
Hair grows at different speeds and at an average of 6 in. per year(if you let it)

2)I don't know when exactly the hair rests. Supposably when it reaches it's maximum lenght but usually people accidently pull their hair out or cut it (also includes trimming when not neccessary)
THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SHEDDING HAIR AND HAIR THAT IS PULLED OUT
Usually if someone pulls their hair out daily (assumingly by accident) the hair goes into a resting stage anyway, whether the hair has reached it's max. length or not.
It won't grow until the hair that has been pulled out has been restored (until that hair grows back in again)

3) Shedding is when the hair naturally falls out. You can easily tell the diff. between hair that has shedded or hair that has been pulled out. Shedding hair has it's little white tip(where the hair comes from) showing at one end and BROKEN HAIR is just hair that has no little white tip and is usually shorter than the rest of your hair (Sorry, I forgot what the white tip was called, I think cuticle)

And That's it!
I got this info. out of a book, that has acurate info      
Sponsored Links

brenda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2003 at 4:18am

Thanks Shall92749

I always wondered about that.  I thought my hair was falling out but according to what you just said its not as bad as I thought.  Yes, my hair is breaking off but not as badly as I once thought.  Some of the hair that I see is from the natural shedding process.  Thanks once again for the information.

Nettag View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2003 at 12:54pm

This is all very interesting.  In the first month that I got pregnant, My hair fell out and I had a bald spot in the middle of my head.  I wore wig ponytails during my pregnancy and the hair grew back healthy and thick.   My child is now 5 months and last month my hair began shedding and now the bald spot has returned and my scalp is very itchy.  Is there anything anyone can suggest to nurse my hair back to health and prevent this bald spot from appearing again. 

thank you!

Valynt9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2003 at 1:03pm
Sounds like you need to go to a dermatologist and quick.  It sounds like it is a scalpe issue more than a healthy hair issue.
GN1G View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2003 at 2:22pm
First thing to do is quit wearing the ponytail! Next thing is - If you are worried about anything try your best to stop. Give it to the Lord. Worry made me lose my hair years ago. Also get some Folic Acid vitamins, take them daily and get to the dermotologist office.
hfin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2003 at 4:09am
ASK THE DOCTOR IF THIS IS A HORMONAL ISSUE. IF SO, THE HAIR WILL GROW BACK.
Nettag View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2003 at 7:59am

Thanks guys!  I don't know want is going on.  I was under a little bit of stress and I gave it to God.  I don't know if it can be hormonal and I also began to take vitimans again.  My gyn reccomended vitamins after the baby but I neglected the advice.  I am also breastfeeding; maybe the baby takes my nutrients.   Can I really go to a dermotologist about my scalp?  I was thinking I can go see a hair dresser but it seems that most are more into styling your hair then growing healthy hair. 

Valynt9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2003 at 10:05am
Yes you can really go to a dermatologist for your scaple.  I would recommend it.  I did it and it was helpful to an extent.  You could also try a rosemary tea rinse to help with the itching.
Nettag View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2003 at 1:35am

Thanks Val!

I actually did some research which confirmed that 3-6 months after childbirth Postpartum predicts hair loss as a negative effect.  I am also going to a derm to get a professional point of view. 

toya_99 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2003 at 5:26am
Does anyone else have a problem with excessive hair shedding? My hairs sheds everytime I comb it and when I wash it too. I know it is normal for hair to shed...I just wanted to know if anyone knew of any secrets to lessen the shedding process.
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic