Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is hair more likely to get matted under a weave...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Is hair more likely to get matted under a weave...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 3:44pm
I think I will wait til after Spring Break cause I'm getting kind of scared. I have a wig, it's just annoying (and embarrassing) to put on and take off in front of my roommate. I'd wear my natural hair maybe for a month and 3 weeks but I'd feel weird coming back from Spring Break w/ 22 inch hair. So from My break to the end of school it'll only be 2 months.
Sponsored Links

atexaschick View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atexaschick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 10:53pm
how would you recommend the braid pattern be to prevent matting? My hair does this all the time if it's up longer than a month
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 2:51pm
The only times my hair matted was when I was using an applicator bottle and squirting conditioner and ish under my net into my base braids to "take care' of my hair underneath my weave.

I stopped doing alladat and my take down was so much easier.

I had one install for almost 5 months. Was the easiest/quickest take down ever.
gapeach77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gapeach77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 6:36pm
@Cream1970 - so how do you take care of your hair underneath when you have your sew-in? I have a net as well.
lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 2:55am
Originally posted by Cream1970 Cream1970 wrote:

The only times my hair matted was when I was using an applicator bottle and squirting conditioner and ish under my net into my base braids to "take care' of my hair underneath my weave.

Ehhh yeah, I don't get that. When people say to do all that to "take care" of your hair underneath. When I was relaxed, I NEVER did any of that, and my hair always came out fine, never matted.
darlinnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darlinnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 5:22am
Originally posted by lalaLeslie lalaLeslie wrote:

Originally posted by Cream1970 Cream1970 wrote:

Ehhh yeah, I don't get that. When people say to do all that to "take care" of your hair underneath. When I was relaxed, I NEVER did any of that, and my hair always came out fine, never matted.

But the OP has natural hair... Natural hair tangles and relaxed hair tangles are very very different.

Again, if you do "nothing" to the hair underneath. I mean, when people say "nothing" do they mean not washing it at ALL???? Doesn't it itch, start to smell??

The applicator bottles are used so that you can shampoo and condition YOUR hair properly while under a net weave.

I think those that do "nothing" have natural hair and end up with lots of length, no breakage and hair that is well moisturized, and no see thru ends are in the minority.

I guess everyone's experience is different but if you just take one thing out of this thread
Do not put any water based products on your head when you are taking your sew in down.
chidiva79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chidiva79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 6:43pm
I'm almost natural.... abt 2 - 4 inches left depending on where you look... and my hair is pass MBL. I've been wearing weaves for the last 2 years. Its been 2 years since my last releaxer (feb 2011).  I think my hair is 3c/4a but I'm not 100% sure...very thick...but wavy and curly. In the beginning, my hair tangled BAD! I would lightly comb out, then use conditioner and that was a MAJOR no no for me. Then I  started using oil (olive oil or grapeseed oil) before I took my braids out. I would then sit under the dryer or a wrapped my hair with a warm towel for a few mins. Then I would gently remove my braids and comb out my hair in sections. I would have 4 sections. I would wash/ condition/ and blow dry in sections. It takes forever...but it's easier for me to detangle and I don't get breakage.
*WeaveStar* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *WeaveStar* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:06am
I do take downs with heat and little oil too.  Shed hair locked and matted with water based products.  You can wash your hair while under but you will have to sit under a dryer to get it to dry completely.  The person who said the less starts is correct because buildup and dredlocks occur mostly where a braid starts after a long period of time.Why don't you fit for a good wig and then get that sewn on.  The take down during spring break would be much much easier....and worse case scenario you could do it yourself during the break because you will be use to the hair and it would have already been placed and styled on your head by the hairdresser who did it the first time.
MISS CR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MISS CR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 9:47am
I took tracks out and loaded  conditioner on while the braids were still in and omg the worst matting ever. Now, I just spray mane n tail detangler on as I'm taking the braid secions out INDIVIDUALLY.  I do not spray all over and then take them out. As I complete a row of braids  After each row I then put a thick creamy conditioner on ,braid in 4-6sections and when done taking down all braids  immediately shampoo. I'm natural and this works for me with no matting at all.
Gods Child View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gods Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 11:36am
The longest that I have kept a weave in was 3 months and I have never head matting. I use a net and try not to add hair to the braids, however I have never had a problem with my hair matting underneath.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic