Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is hair more likely to get matted under a weave...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Is hair more likely to get matted under a weave...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is hair more likely to get matted under a weave...
    Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 4:16pm
Is hair more likely to get matted under a weave when you're natural?

So, the longest I've ever gone w/ a weave was 3 months while I was transitioning, and after I took it out I was perfectly fine. So people say they would never leave it on that long because it would matte, but I've seen people do it and they were fine but they were also relaxed. 

Now that I'm natural, I feel like leaving it on that long would be bad. I've never been fully natural before in my life, although I've gone many times w/o getting a relaxer for months but I've always had relaxed ends to hold the curls down.

When I was relaxed I probably could've gone for 4 months no problem.

I want to get my hair installed before I go back to school on the 20th. Nobody at my school knows how to do sew ins and there are no salons in the area that do (Its the suburbs). I want to wear my hair until I get out of school May 13 so that's pretty much 4 months.

I could try to get it done over Spring Break, but I really don't want to spend my Spring Break stressing about my hair. And Spring break would only be 1 and a few days and then I'll have to keep in the 2nd install for 3 months, Idk, that just seems stupid. 

Unfortunately that's the only vacation in the Spring Semester. 

Edited by lalaLeslie - Jan 02 2013 at 6:35pm
Sponsored Links

ms.blue View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms.blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 4:44pm
It all depends on the braid pattern I believe is one of the factors if your hair will matte or not the rests determines on your hair characteristics.
DivaKeya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DivaKeya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 7:47pm
3 months should be fine. Put some good conditioner in your braids before you take them out. Deep condition for about an hour and take the braids out with while the conditioner is still in your hair. Deep condition for another hour, detangle and wash.
starliteboo View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starliteboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 7:52pm
It may also depend on your hair type. My hair is a 4a/4b and anytime I leave my hair braided for an extended period of time it begin to get matted and knots begin to form.
SelfMadeDiva12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SelfMadeDiva12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:31pm
I'm natural and have had my hair in for over 3 months. I have never had the issue with matting. It could have something to do with the braid pattern, as stated earlier but it could also have to do with how you care for your hair under the sew-in could play a part as well. Things as simple as how you scratch your scalp when it itches or how carefully you wash between the braids can affect the neatness of the braids which might lead to tangling or matting of your hair.
lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by starliteboo starliteboo wrote:

It may also depend on your hair type. My hair is a 4a/4b and anytime I leave my hair braided for an extended period of time it begin to get matted and knots begin to form.

I think I'm a 4a but I honestly don't know.

Originally posted by SelfMadeDiva12 SelfMadeDiva12 wrote:

I'm natural and have had my hair in for over 3 months. I have never had the issue with matting. It could have something to do with the braid pattern, as stated earlier but it could also have to do with how you care for your hair under the sew-in could play a part as well. Things as simple as how you scratch your scalp when it itches or how carefully you wash between the braids can affect the neatness of the braids which might lead to tangling or matting of your hair. 

What is your hair type?
Can can I have some tips. Normally I scratch my scalp, I don't usually pat it, but should I do that instead? My hair doesn't normally get itchy under weaves but being natural now, idk what to expect. I feel like it'll be a whole different ball game. 

How do you care for your hair under the braids? I figured if my hair/scalp gets dry I'd use an applicator bottle and apply oil to the roots.

And so I don't have to use water which I heard can make matting worse or make it more likely, I'd use dry shampoo to clean the weave. 

I guess I'd still need to clean my scalp some how and I know some girls one were box braids clean w/ a cotton ball (or swab?) and sea breeze. So if people do it to maintain box braids, I can do it for my sew in right?
SelfMadeDiva12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SelfMadeDiva12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 2:20am
Well personally, I use the dry shampoo on my scalp going between each track one at a time and regular shampoo and conditioner on the weave. Oils can build up on your scalp so cleansing is always a good idea. II usually apply the dry shampoo to my scalp using my fingers and then I take a damp cloth and very gently rub my scalp to remove excess oils. My hair is 3c/4a btw.
darlinnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darlinnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 5:21am
Ummmm ...I keep seeing people saying to put conditioner on your head before you take your braids out

I do not suggest that. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT put any water based product on your head before you take down those braids.

You had better take each braid out and comb it out COMPLETELY meaning no knots or anything, then place the hair in sections and then add your water based conditioner. (It may be that I have a coarser texture, but..... At your own risk)

I'm am in month 21 of my transition and have been in back to back sew ins for 3 to four months at a time.

The only thing I use to aid in taking my braids out is an oil.
This is my hair after a take down

I use an applicator bottle to shampoo and condition my tracks... I have a mixed oil blend that I use in between my tracks when I have an install.

Maybe the conditioner method works for those of looser textures, but if I did that I would have severe matting like ateyaaa (youtuber) did when she took her weave out and just placed conditioner on her braids and had to cut out a section of her hair.

Good luck
Darlinnic
beana3 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beana3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 11:44am
IA with the tips given here. My hair is 4a/b completely natural and I find that circular or continuous braid patterns are best for me. The less "starting" braids I have the less matting and tangling. My hair is prone to tangles though because its so fine stranded yet dense.

Darlinnc hit it right on the head when she said stay away from water based products during the take down... that cause my hair to mat/lock up. my hair needs to be detangled before water or watery creamy products touch it.
AshAmor07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshAmor07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 11:48am
Originally posted by starliteboo starliteboo wrote:

Yea I agree that it depends on your hair type. My hair is a 3c/4a and I cannot leave my sew-ins for more than 2 months or it is hell trying to take it down. I also think it depends on if you use alot of product bc if you have buildup then that can cuase it to matte as well.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>