Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Hair Growth Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedIs flat ironing really the same as relaxing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
9osZBehbi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 1:37am
Originally posted by NaturalNigerian NaturalNigerian wrote:

To answer the question, they are two different things.

Flatironing results in a physical reaction, just as if you are melting metal with extremely hot fire.

Physical heat requires you to increase temp before it can destroy hair; Just like you can heat water over and over again and it is not going to turn into something else chemically... you can heat hair over and over again to the same temperature and expect it to return to its original state without the chemical bonds being broken.

You could wash, deep condition and flatiron your hair on 300 degrees once a week for the rest of your life and not expect to lose a curl pattern. Yes your hair will look looser in its curly state BUT if you put the flat iron down for a couple of months and use a reconstructor the flatironed curls will shrink back up over time.
 Physical changes are almost always temporary if done the right way.

I disagree.  Melting and burning are different.  If you have an ice cube and it melts is it not still H2O?  Nothing changes but the way it looks.  If you burn something it's molecules are rearraged and changed.

Wouldn't the reconstructor just be protein filling in the cuticle? If so it would be masking the damage and not repairing it?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a good press.Star
Sponsored Links

9osZBehbi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 1:48am
Originally posted by Distant Dreamer Distant Dreamer wrote:

The only negative thing I have to say is that I think its wrong that they
don't allow anyone with a curl pattern. Is that really true? Is it just the
loose wave women or ANY curl pattern? I was thinking about joining that
site because I feel I can really learn from it but I don't want to be cursed out lol

That's not true.  I see member with curls or some trying to achieve curls.
supermodelsonya View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 8:41am
This shouldn't really be a bashing thread about Nappturality...although I've found some threads about this forum and LHCF and all of the tsk tsking they do about our uses of chemical fire creams, and vaginal creams, etc. etc.

Not EVERYONE over there is like that. There are lots of members that jump to your defense if you use heat or whatever.

I think its the moderators and SOME of the members that are there. I saw a thread with a girl apologizing about texturizing her hair and needing a new style. A lot of the members were supportive but the moderator quickly shut it down stating, "This member has gotten excellent advice already. THREAD CLOSED"

(mind you the thread barely made it to the second page...)

She reminded me of Nadia. LOL

Anywhoooo..but people should have the freedom to be a member of any board that we want to just like we have the freedom not to.

I think the mods/"militant" members make it bad on the rest of the members. To see threads like the one I posted and countless others.

(I found three today that I didn't really agree with..."If you wear braids/sew ins with hair that isn't close to your hair texture, you are not a natural...even though you sport natural hair underneath?"

Makes all of the members look bad as a whole. You tend to be grouped in with people that you choose to socialize with rather than looked at as an individual when people don't know you and are trying to get a sense of who you are.

Edited by supermodelsonya - Jun 16 2009 at 8:43am
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 9:00am
The reconstructure thing does NOT always work. Trust and believe I know. My hair after months of care wouldnt curl back up. First time i ever missed my naps lol. That's why I wanted to know which is more damaging.
danniekay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 1:03pm
To answer the OP question if flat ironing was the same as relaxing, technically no, but if you constantly flat iron it does damage your hair over the long run.  It's all according to how much you do it. 
his_cuteness View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Nichole23 Nichole23 wrote:

Originally posted by supermodelsonya supermodelsonya wrote:

Here is an example that I just found

Auto censor turns flat iron to "flat flaming hot tool of hair torture" LOL
There auto censor is hillarious.

LOL!! LOL
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21