Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Hair Growth Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedIs flat ironing really the same as relaxing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Naeemah View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2009 at 11:34am
For my own hair, I'd prefer to relax once every 3 months than flat iron regularly. I get much less damage that way.

Unless my relaxer was applied improperly, I don't get the kind of relaxer damage that other people talk about: dryness, breakage, scalp burns, etc.

My hair is fine and I get split ends from blow drying and flat-ironing, which destroys all the progress I'm making.

It was just a matter of deciding whether I want damage my hair regularly with heat or once with a relaxer.
Sponsored Links

MizzBrit View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2009 at 11:58am
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Originally posted by BB_2007 BB_2007 wrote:

And to answer OP, i do think flat ironing can be worse than relaxing, only cos you need more heat to get your hair straight. Look at Cathy Howse [1 min]

Relaxed.  Heat straightened.

I don't think that's true for everyone. On other hair boards where naturals press their hair it's always so much thicker than what it was relaxed.

i agree..ive also noticed even after a fresh relaxer...ladies still flat iron to give it that overall sleek look.
my hair has definately gotten thicker when i flat ironed it

Edited by MizzBrit - Jun 15 2009 at 12:01pm
dragon_gurl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2009 at 12:13pm
after seeing supermodelsonya's example....that site annoys me. lol they are trying to do a positive thing, but they aren't implementing it right.

as far as relaxing vs. flat iron. relaxing is not as harsh on my hair are flat ironing. i don't relax bone staight...it's more texlaxed.

belladiva View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2009 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by LadyCC LadyCC wrote:

I have not been on nappturality. Now I'm scurred to go. [IMG]smileys/smiley22.gif" height="17" width="17"
align="absmiddle" alt="Stern%20Smile" />

Me too
Roro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2009 at 1:42pm
everyone's tolerance is different, so people shouldn't be "militant" IMO, it's just hairLOL
BB_2007 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2009 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Naeemah Naeemah wrote:

For my own hair, I'd prefer to relax once every 3 months than flat iron regularly. I get much less damage that way.

Unless my relaxer was applied improperly, I don't get the kind of relaxer damage that other people talk about: dryness, breakage, scalp burns, etc.

My hair is fine and I get split ends from blow drying and flat-ironing, which destroys all the progress I'm making.

It was just a matter of deciding whether I want damage my hair regularly with heat or once with a relaxer.
IA. I'll shut up about the breakage thoughLOLLOLCry
I think doing it (relaxing) every 3 months can be 'healthy' for your hair, as opposed to using a lot of heat
Distant Dreamer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 12:46am
I respect those ladies for what they are doing.
And I can understand why they don't allow any straigtening
or curl defining products and methods.

The only negative thing I have to say is that I think its wrong that they
don't allow anyone with a curl pattern. Is that really true? Is it just the
loose wave women or ANY curl pattern? I was thinking about joining that
site because I feel I can really learn from it but I don't want to be cursed out lol

9osZBehbi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 12:54am
Actually yes, if you burn your hair you create a chemical change. (straight hair, burnt smell) However, you can stretch your hair which would be a physical change.

PrincezzNHtwn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 1:08am
OMG!!! that site is funny . they really do take this serious, but damn  can you say I rebuke the flat iron lol
9osZBehbi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 1:25am
Originally posted by mangachan mangachan wrote:

I don't want to play the devil's advocate (well,actually I don't mind since I have to kill the next 3 hours) but I have been a member of that site for almost a year and there's some things that give me the side eye, like the avi pic thing but they don't really offend me...but maybe it is just me.  There are people that have negative views on defining curls and stuff but there have been threads about curl definition without any incident.  It's all over the products section.  There was a multi page thread about a girl who has loose texture and it was very peaceful and informative.  There are members of that site who straighten their hair, it's in their fotki's and Youtube channels.

I find it odd that people who spend everyday on BHM, getting in all the drama that's on this site, are saying other people on hair boards are obsessed or they're so abnormal.  Alot of people think yall are crazy for deep conditioning yall's hair, some people believe you have to be mixed to have long hair sooo really it's all in persepective. 

And yes, it is nice to go on np sometimes and get away from the "my hair is 'too hard to manage' I'm getting a perm" threads.  *puts on flame retardant suit*

ETA: To answer the op, some people can take it but heat would be the death of my hair because it would revert with a quickness and I would either become one of those people that straighten it everyday or I would say the heck with it and become one of those anti-heat people that are apparently the devil incarnate.

ITA. You have to understand where they are coming from. I didn't last year until you or someone else (I think she had and an Asian girl for an avi) explained in another thread.     Some times the only place this women hear complements on their hair is when they sign on to the board.

I rarely go on but from what I've seen is that they are simply trying to embrace the hair God gave them the best way they can. Their form of enlightment may not be the best but they are trying... They've gotten friendlier. But if you choose to see a Nazi thats what you'll see.

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic