Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Hair Growth Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedIs flat ironing really the same as relaxing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is flat ironing really the same as relaxing?
    Posted: Jun 10 2009 at 12:01pm
i was on nappturality, the militant natural site, and they're saying you're torturing your hair just as much as if you were relaxed. i know there are risks to straightening my hair (trust i do) but properly done is it that bad for our hair? are they just full of humectant?
Sponsored Links

Nichole23 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2009 at 12:08pm
Full of Humectant LOL  I haven't been over there in a while but I felt like I was in the wrong venue when I did go.  So I keep 1 foot here and 1 foot at naturallycurly.com

I think it varies for head to head.  Each head of hair is so different, there probably won't be one size (answer) fits all.  In some cases, I don't think it is as damaging and in others I think can be. 

I see alot of ladies with HEALTHY thick hair who flat-iron weekly.  In that case the flat iron it better than relaxing.  Flat ironing my hair would be the death of it.  For me, it would be healthier to relax than to flat iron on a consistent basis.
MizzBrit View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2009 at 12:15pm
natural hair is more prone to heat damage because it takes more heat than a relaxed head for it to get it straight..but no i dnt think its the same...that site is crazyy..you cant mention anything about straight,blow dry..looser curl texture..NOTHING!hell, you cant even put an avi on there if it aint natural.
LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2009 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Nichole23 Nichole23 wrote:

Full of Humectant LOL  I haven't been over there in a while but I felt like I was in the wrong venue when I did go.  So I keep 1 foot here and 1 foot at naturallycurly.com

I think it varies for head to head.  Each head of hair is so different, there probably won't be one size (answer) fits all.  In some cases, I don't think it is as damaging and in others I think can be. 

I see alot of ladies with HEALTHY thick hair who flat-iron weekly.  In that case the flat iron it better than relaxing.  Flat ironing my hair would be the death of it.  For me, it would be healthier to relax than to flat iron on a consistent basis.

IA
LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2009 at 12:17pm
I have not been on nappturality.  Now I'm scurred to go. Stern%20Smile
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2009 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Nichole23 Nichole23 wrote:

...thanks nicole. i don't plan on flatironing often at all bc i want to optimize growth so i can easily go without flat ironing but i know when i reach my goal length or when im bsl/mbl...ima want to swaaaaang.

i had a bad experience with flat ironing so idk if it's my hair or is it bc how i did my hair? cause i was reckless. flatironing for three days on 400 degress was enough to burn my hair so...idk what that means

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2009 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by MizzBrit MizzBrit wrote:

natural hair is more prone to heat damage because it takes more heat than a relaxed head for it to get it straight..but no i dnt think its the same...that site is crazyy..you cant mention anything about straight,blow dry..looser curl texture..NOTHING!hell, you cant even put an avi on there if it aint natural.

yeah i don't like that site. i feel like it's full of very lonely women whose only means of validation is from their hair. therefore if someone does not adhere to there parochial views of how one should treat their hair, they go nutcases. i feel like a lot of these women don't have fulfilling relationships. how could they? they're so inflexible about HAIR of all thingsConfused whenever im there i get sooo angry when someone asks a question and theyre like it's against forum rules, im not advocating heat or anything, blahblah. i feel like i might as well be in communist china

Edited by EPITOME - Jun 10 2009 at 12:23pm
supermodelsonya View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2009 at 12:31pm
Yeah, I noticed that about that site as well.
BunnieHoney View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2009 at 12:32pm
I take it back, I am NOT a NappynaziLOL

No, flat ironing and relaxing are two different animals. I have seen a boatload of naturals that regularly straighten their hair and have minimal damage and their hair is thriving.  Pinkskates comes to mind...she presses her hair and it is drop dead gorgeous.
supermodelsonya View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2009 at 12:33pm
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic