Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

is discrimination THIS blatant??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hello! Tsuki View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello! Tsuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 9:52pm
I thought about this article all day after reading it this morning.

My name isn't "black-sounding" but it's unusual and I'll probably use my middle name when I start my post-college job search just to be safe

I hate that we have to do things like this
Sponsored Links

ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

My bestie works in HR and has always said to never fill out the diversity forms.

i meant to ask you...so this means that the HR person definitely sees the gender/ethnicity questions when checking our application then?  Ouch
Soratachi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soratachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 4:21am
Originally posted by BoutThatLife BoutThatLife wrote:

Are people really shocked? I know I'm not. Harvard Univ came out with a study stating a white ex-con will get hired faster than a black man w/ a degree and no record. sh*ts real outchea

I remember pounding the pavement for my first job, I went to every restaurant in a 2 mile radius of my house. I walked in one place in particular that had a WE'RE HIRING sign outside. I walked in and they told me right away that they were no longer hiring. They would not even give me an application. Maybe they forgot to take the WE'RE HIRING sign downSleepy A month later they hired 2 of my white classmates on the spot.

that was my first eye opener of blatant job discrimination. I dont let this "post racial" harmony bullshyt fool me, it's the same shyt different day. They cant put up "WHITES ONLY" signs anymore but they sure can block you in other ways.  Even at the job I'm working part time now, they rarely give  blacks any hours, but they'll go out of their way to make sure Becky and Todd got a full schedule and even call them up and ask if they want extra days.  Whites look out for each other point blank and since they're the majority population and own most of the companies, the effects are tremendous.  Shyt aint gonna change so black people need to own their own sh*t and hire each other just like they do. Stop being the employees and be the employers, thats the only way to hit that discrimination head on

So much truth.Clap If I could give you more thanks. EmbarrassedStarStarStarStarStar
The bolded part is the only solution; the more black businesses the more black people will be employed.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 5:12am
im surprised people are surprised
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 5:27am
*nods* Fuccin' A BTL.
Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:14am
Star
The bolded part is the only solution; the more black businesses the more black people will be employed
===================

or worked in HR so the decision will be theirs
babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyk94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:55am
BTL said it all, thanks for telling us your story. I've been applying everywhere still no job
Yardgirl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:10am
Wow that's sad and I believe it.

If I were to move I wouldn't be able to get away from that, even with using my middle name. They'd know from the universities listed.
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 2:53pm
So will you not get penalized for using your middle name?

Shoot, in that case....

MizzAmirah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MizzAmirah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 4:38pm
My African friends credited my name to why I had so many interviews right after graduation.
Yeah....but the same reason for the job offers too? That may be somewhat true, but I think my GPA, references, resume, and experience helped a lot too.

Well, assuming that IS the case.......I'd say it would at least land you an interview, and your personality and the grace of God would help you land the job.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic