Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Is cursive writing an old relic of the past?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>

Author
Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Miss B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2014 at 12:17pm
I am quite proud of my cursive. I learned it in school, my West Indian parents helped me refine it, but it wasn't until I moved to the UK that it flourished. They don't play there. Assignments had to be handed in in cursive, in INK. Ink pens with calligraphy nibs were standard tools. Everyone had the story of when their pen leaked in their pocket. Had to be niiiiiice with the Tippex (Whiteout) pens. Or start over, lol. You could not turn in assignments written in biro, or a bic style pen, unless the teacher had ok'd it ahead of time.

I'm honestly grateful that I know how to. In later years after moving back to the US I had to teach myself how to print for the same reasons mentioned in here: Americans don't know how to read it. It slowed me down initially but its all good now.

Edited by Miss B - Jul 29 2014 at 4:46pm
Sponsored Links

AshBash89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2014 at 1:28pm
When I'm rushing I use a mix of both print and cursive. Cursuve has become obsolete because of the popularity of computers and typing. When I was young our final drafts were written in cursive but that stopped in middle school.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2014 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

Considering that public schools are not teaching many, many things
including cursive writing, at this point, it is the parents'
responsibility to make sure that their children are fully literate. When
you work in certain fields with written statements that are scanned
& reviewed, it will be an interesting situation when an employee can
not read the cursive writing. Im sure that there will be college
professors writing in cursive for a few more decades that will flunk a
student if they can not read it.

Invitations will be in cursive and so many adults will not be able to read them...

I'll
betcha that elite private schools are and will continue teaching
cursive. Dont sit back and let your kids get handicapped. Teach them
cursive yourself while they are young.

All of this. If they won't teach it in school anymore, then the parents need to take over. Black people in America cannot afford to let themselves be swept along by the overall mediocrity of the majority environment. Strive to be better. Always. It's the formula for advancement.
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2014 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

I remember my old ass high school teacher was sad they didn't teach shorthand. I had never even heard of it until then

Looks like hieroglyphics..weird

I want to learn

I was a pro at shorthand in HS. I mean a national champ pro. I still have my trophies lol.

I sooo don't understand anything about shorthand. Did it make your college notetaking a breeze? Did you use it as a secret language in writing your bfff letters? What was it for aside from competitionss?

Do you still use it for grocery lists etc?

I did start out using it to take notes in class but then I'd get cursed out when someone wanted to borrow my notesLOL. But nah, I never really used it after school. And none of my friends were proficient in it. I only got into it because the typing teacher also taught shorthand. I liked her so I continued w/ shorthand class. I let her drag me  to competitions to make her look goodLOL; she'd gush more than I did when I won.  I was also a national typist champ.  I just liked winning stuffLOL

eta: and my ASS ain't old! I just got a new one last week.Wink

Edited by PurplePhase - Jul 29 2014 at 3:35pm
KittenWhip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KittenWhip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2014 at 3:59pm
How do you sign your name if you can't write in cursive?  You may ask, when would you need to sign your name?

1. Driver's license application
2. Passport application
3. Pay check, at least the first three (direct deposit takes at least 3 pay checks)
4. Opening a bank account
5. Marriage license
6. Loan application
7. Restraining order 
8. UPS and FedEx
9. To obtain the material things you had on your person when you are released from jail
10. Letters, remember them?  At my old job, I had to write at least 20 per day
11. Lottery winnings

There are probably a thousand other reasons to learn to write in cursive, those are just the ones I could think of.  

Signed, a woman who won numerous awards for penmanship and is still proud of her cursive handwriting.
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2014 at 3:59pm
hmmm never knew shorthand but seems like it would be great for taking notes. My day is usually back to back to meetings this could change things 

Now something else ... writing in general.  Text speak will not fly in work emails and if you work in corp, emails aren't going away, so writing skills shouldn't turn into a lost art 

NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2014 at 4:07pm
Miss B View Drop Down
 & KittenWhip View Drop Down

I would love to see a screen shot of your cursive penmanship Embarrassed
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2014 at 4:08pm
Love letters written in cursive are very beautifulEmbarrassed
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2014 at 4:12pm
I remember my oldEnglish teacher would grade my paper then deduct a full damn letter grade if I wrote poorly.

I turned in an essay and she put an A at the top then balled it up in the trash in front of the class

She told me about presentation being very important.

I love that old bitty
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2014 at 4:15pm

Edited by india100 - Jul 29 2014 at 4:28pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
  Share Topic