Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Is cursive writing an old relic of the past?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>

Author
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 7:21pm
This thread is making me feel old. It's inconceivable to me that people don't know how to hand write anymore.
Sponsored Links

rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 7:22pm
Could be...all the older ppl i know only write on cursive...i hate it...it gives me headaches trying to figure it out.
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

Originally posted by Az~Maverick Az~Maverick wrote:

Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

Wait a minute. So how are they writing their signatures??? 

In print. I was a the dentist's office a few weeks ago and a 17 y.o. girl had now idea how to fill out a paper application. Everything was in 3rd grader's print....including her signature.

But after she was done, she was texting like nobody's business.....Sleepy

This is another thing that baffles me. Kids do not know how to fill out applications. My aunt said she had to tell my 18 y.o. cousin what to put for everything on a job application. She didn't even know what to put in the field for what country she's from. She kept looking for name of our state instead of putting United States.

LOL it's funny how you don't know someone is ditzy until stuff like that happens.  i have a younger cousin like that...she asks the most basic of basic questions that i swear she should've learned at some point in life. 
mzsophisticated View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzsophisticated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 7:44pm
cursive is no longer part of the curriculum where I live, I remember I asked my daughter's 3rd grade teacher about this last year. 
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 7:50pm
But there are situations in life when someone is giving you information (say over the phone for instance) and you have to write it down. How long does it take for a person to write the info down in a situation like that if they don't know cursive? How long does it take them to fill out an application? Writing with detached letters takes time. This is crazy to me. This is not a skill that should die.
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 10:34pm
I always thought cursive writing was useless....What's the point if you can barely read what the person is writing?
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 10:55pm
Remember during the Trayvon Martin trial when his friend was on the stand and she had to admit that at the age of 18 that she could not read what was written on the paper because it was written in cursive.

Many people write in cursive because in my opinion it is faster to do so than to write in script.

Edited by bindy - Jul 28 2014 at 10:56pm
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 10:59pm
This reminds me of the video I watched recently of Michael Jackson visiting his old elementary school

He wrote his name on the chalk board and I just remember thinking that in the future, people won't be able to write that nicely. Made me feel kinda sad

34:10

femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

i still write in cursive, but it's usually a blend of print and cursive. 

my sister is 18 and can't write in cursive, smart girl but it just seems to have faded away.

same

i think students should do whatever makes them efficient while learning

cursive isn't very useful...i've met a lot of elderly who seem to think it is lol
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 11:03pm
Considering that public schools are not teaching many, many things including cursive writing, at this point, it is the parents' responsibility to make sure that their children are fully literate. When you work in certain fields with written statements that are scanned & reviewed, it will be an interesting situation when an employee can not read the cursive writing. Im sure that there will be college professors writing in cursive for a few more decades that will flunk a student if they can not read it.

Invitations will be in cursive and so many adults will not be able to read them...

I'll betcha that elite private schools are and will continue teaching cursive. Dont sit back and let your kids get handicapped. Teach them cursive yourself while they are young.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>
  Share Topic