BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Is Brown skin another way to say Darkskin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 2:43am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

i thought brown skin was just a way to say "medium"  ...the way make up comes in light, medium, dark.  
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

I have brown skin and I consider myself brown-skinned because I am neither light-skinned nor dark-skinned.
Sponsored Links

GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 3:25am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

lol

Where is goodgirl? Can you use coffee pics too? A skin color thread is not complete without references to coffee.

We, the jury have deliberated...

Coffee cannot be used to describe the shade of one's skin color. We have limited it to only cookies and candy...
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 6:48am
Originally posted by KhadiNiaomi KhadiNiaomi wrote:

Originally posted by stardaqueenb23 stardaqueenb23 wrote:

Why do we need a "nice way" to say dark?
Im sorry I guess cus in my head im thinking of its my my step mothers nice way, cus ik how she is...

I think your step mother is messed up  in the head - stay away from her and keep your kids away from her or she will mess them up too.

I think brown skinned is the same as dark skinned but if she wants to use someone she dislikes skin tone to hurt them by calling them Black as an insult .. she's nuts.

To me there are 3 general skin tones.

Anyone in the range of  Beyonce, Halle, Alicia Keys  etc is Light Skinned'
Anyone in the range of Oprah, Kelly Rowland, Janet Jackson etc is Dark Skinned (most AAs fall into this range and I consider myself dark skinned)
Anyone in the range of Wesley Snipes, Alex Wek and Seal are Very Dark Skinned

Again, I am saying range so this is not a precise accounting ... I just don't see that it matters EXACTLY what your skin tone is .. unless you are just trying NOT be be dark skinned as if that is a bad thing. Confused

But we are all .. Black.

Edited by Printer_Ink - Jul 31 2013 at 6:53am
whitrhymes View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote whitrhymes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 7:33am
Originally posted by CLCNY20 CLCNY20 wrote:

And neither does all this light-skin, dark-skin bullsht.

ETA:  why would a race care so much about lighter and darker skin if they weren't comparing themselves to Whites?  As "light" as whom?  "Dark"er than whom?  White people.  Think you need to recheck your cheek.

Darker/lighter than eachother...  I dnt see anything wrong with noting the differences in our shades, but I get what you are ultimately saying, why does it matter.
bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 7:53am
I would consider Meghan Goode brown skinned.
I consider brandy and Naomi Campbell dark skinned.

I consider myself dark skinned

Alex Wec (sp?) Is really dark skinned. I wouldnt consider her "black"....like literally the color black.

Or is Alex's skin actually black. I need to Google her.
CLCNY20 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote CLCNY20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 8:16am
Since the days of slavery, skin color has been used as a tool of separation and preferential treatment within the black community. The residue of the "house" versus "field Negro" divide has long remained with us, even as we celebrated black pride in the '70s and hip-hop culture in the '80s. House slaves were usually products of a relationship between a master and a female slave, so they tended to have lighter skin. The boss's offspring would more than likely receive the special favor of doing work inside the house out of the hot sun. They'd eat better, often get taught to read and write, and enjoyed many of the liberties of nonslaves. Slaves with darker skin were usually stuck toiling in the fields. The anger over that old distinction has never quite gone away in African-American culture.

Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 8:35am
Yes, but it's Black folks that keep this nonsense going though.

We can't keep blaming the White people that died 300 years ago for all the color-struck crazy AAs out there today that perpetuate allll these color distinctions between all of us. So I say stop blaming White people for our own problems.
Otherwise AA are still slaves because they don't have any control over who they are. AA have got to take responsibily for keeping this mess alive because we can never change history and it that is your only yardstick for why these things are said .. then it will never go away.

Just like using words to put down black people like the N word. We used to be called that so now foolishly AA think that is we claim that word ... it's ours we can abuse each other with it .. but then THEY (Whites) can't use it. Now how is that working out? (Not)

Heck on this board the AA people pull up yet ANOTHER word that used to be used to put down Blacks (coon) and try to use it ... against othet AA people. Duh! I have never heard that word being used by Black people until I heard it on this board.

So White people don't have to denigrate us anymore with these words because NOW we use them against each other. They can just sit back and smile at how well they have trained us to dog each other.

That's why I say .. it is our own responsibly to stop using all this stuff against each other. IMO it's a lost cause in the AA community Dead because it is too easy to blame THE WHITE MAN  for everything. That way ... you don't have actually DO anything. Just stay a victim.Clap

Backward.

Edited by Printer_Ink - Jul 31 2013 at 8:39am
BrownQtee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownQtee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 8:39am
Dead
HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 8:40am
oh lord its going there.

and white ppl are still color struck to or else halle and beyonce wouldn't be the only black ppl constantly named as the most beautiful ppl and representative of all black beauty
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 8:49am
I think GGG's cookies are lovely and its a damn shame that Gkisses was the only one to embrace a cookie.  I think we should just all grab a cookie and celebrate our beautiful hues of sugary goodness.  We need to make this thread about the beautiful loveliness of our various skin tones.  Cookies are harmless.   I dont care what none y'all bishes say, my sisters are gorgeous in every flava. 

Also, I hate Gkisses for effectively including her undertone.  Jelly.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic