BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is 24 the new 50?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is 24 the new 50?
    Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:04pm

Is 24 the new 50? A new study suggests that cognitive decline begins earlier than we think. The study of more than 3,300 volunteers tracked the relationship between age and the speed at which people make decisions and shift between tasks

Is 24 the new 50? If you’re going by when our intellectual skills start to decline and dull due to the passage of time, then it might be.

According to researchers at Simon Fraser University in Canada, things start going south at age 24. They came to that conclusion after studying 3,305 volunteers aged 16 years to 44 years. The participants played a real-time game that approximated everyday real-world situations that test our cognitive abilities, from concentration to juggling multiple tasks to shifting our focus from immediate to long-term issues. The game recorded the players’ moves, and researchers analyzed hours of data from it. As expected, the speed with which the volunteers made decisions, and shifted between tasks, declined with age.

Many studies have documented the gradual deterioration of cognitive skills over time. But in this study, published in the journal PLOS One, the drop, albeit small, was detected first among 24 year olds. In fact, for every 15 years after age 24, cognitive speed dropped by about 15%. And the results could not be explained by the fact that the players were getting better at navigating the game over time; the age-related decline remained, even among those with more skill playing the game.

This doesn’t mean it’s all downhill after your mid 20s. As cognitive speed slows, the brain makes up for some of the deficit in a variety of ways: by relying on experience to anticipate and more accurately predict upcoming tasks, as well as by employing mental shortcuts such as eliminating extraneous information and paring down incoming information to just core nuggets of relevant material. So while we may get slower, we might also be getting smarter. Feel better now?

http://time.com/63500/brain-aging-at-24/

Sponsored Links

herwoman View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:07pm
Kelly was talking about this today on her show
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:09pm
Your title tricked me this time tatee LOL. I thought this was about a white woman aging poorly

Edited by PurplePhase - Apr 16 2014 at 3:09pm
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:11pm
interesting though.
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:12pm
I believe it.
I will be 30 in October (OMG)..
and sometimes I will start off at one end of my house ready to do something .. and as I am making my way to the other end of my house, I totally forget what I was originally trying to do. Confused

I have to retrace my thoughts.. and sticky notes/ calendars are my bffs.

I recently joined Luminosity and play brain games on my phone now..

This is not a joke!!
Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Your title tricked me this time tatee LOL. I thought this was about a white woman aging poorly

me too i called a white girl in kmart maam and she was 18

yaya that's been happening to me since i was a kid... id open the fridge and stand there then remember i wanted something from the cupboard as i was walking out
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

me too LOLLOLLOL

I came in here bracing myself for a bad picLOLLOL
Im_oh_so_hott View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Im_oh_so_hott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:46pm
I'm feeling like it, i'll be 26 end of the year.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:51pm
i think its kind of a silly question and premise because wouldnt this have always been true?  it would be different if there was this massive change in past few years or decades with data they could compare it to and they reached some startling conclusion but nah there basically saying things are how theyve always been we just didnt know about...youre fine.LOL
nala52808 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nala52808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 4:01pm
my memory been deteriorating years ago, and I'm 21, so this news does not surprise or scare me. I'll literally be searching the whole house tryna find my keys when the keys were in my hand. the.whole.fuccin.time.Stern Smile What that article should've done was provided advice as to what to do to help slow down cognitive decline because i need that
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic