BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Care - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iron Deficiency (Anemia) = Hair Breakage/Loss

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
urbanized View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbanized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iron Deficiency (Anemia) = Hair Breakage/Loss
    Posted: May 16 2010 at 6:44pm
This is a special announcement for all you ladies out there.

Get your blood levels checked regularly at the doctors office.
No I dont mean get your blood pressure taken, I mean get blood tests done.

Winter of my college freshman year I went in for a much needed physical exam. Seeing as I had been on blood coagulators months before, my nurse decided to perform a blood test to make sure all was ok.

She hands the blood results to the DR who looks at the test and says the iron level is awfully low, I don't think you got enough blood do it again.
Nurse repeats the blood test, this time making sure she nearly fills the tube and the DR looks at her again and says are you doing this right?
DR orders a full blood test and much to our surprise. The readings were correct my Iron level just really sucked.

I was coached on foods that are rich in iron and advised to take iron supplements. While on them, I noticed my hair was growing drastically. I received complements on how healthy and strong my hair look. It had been brought back to life. And when I stopped taking it out of laziness my hair reverted right back to hair loss/breakage (iron levels dropped below normal range again). So here I am back on them again - I hope Im not forgetful or  catch the "-itis" again

The Background:
  • Iron deficiency is caused by either of lack of iron in diet, your body cant fully absorb it, or major blood loss
  • Low iron levels can lead to anemia  Thumbs%20Down
  • Anemia, a reduction of red blood cells, that is often an undiagnosed cause of hair loss in women. (thats right undiagnosed means you dont even know you have it. this may be due to a lack of symptoms or that you/DR cant relate the symptoms and dismiss it as something else) Shocked

• Without enough iron, your body can't produce enough hemoglobin, a substance in red blood cells that enables them to carry oxygen. As a result, iron deficiency anemia may leave you tired, Clown weak and pale.

• Iron deficiency is detected by blood work which measure the amount of ferritin in the blood. Ferritin is a protein that plays an important role in iron storage. As a general rule, the less ferritin in the blood, the less iron a body has stored up.

• Low iron levels can cause you body to literally stop producing hair
  • Women are more prone to Anemia than men.
  • Iron levels usually dip lower than usual around the time of your menstrual cycle whether before, during, after or any combo of the 3. This is because some women are heavy menstruation, hence there is major loss of blood
Symptoms:
  • pica ( an appetite for non-nutritive substances: metal, soil, chalk, paper or abnormal appetite for ice, raw potatoes or rice, etc...)
  • brittle nails
  • weakened immune system Dead
  • fatigue
  • pale skin or weakness
  • difficulty breathing
  • irregular heartbeat
  • cold hands/feet.. or you constantly feel cold
  • pricking, pin & needles sensations
  • skin crawling/ tingling skin sensations

Treatment
  • Eat iron rich foods regularly for prevention/treatment
  • If you do test positive for iron deficiency, dont just go out and buy an iron supplement unless directed by your physician. Excessive amounts of Iron can accumulate in the body and cause more harm then good such as increased risk to cancer and heart disease
  • Take Vitamin C with Iron Supplements. Vitamin C helps your body absorb more Iron effectively

Avoid
  • Tannins and polyphenols (found in tea and coffee), execessively high fiber content, and spinach prevent your body your body from absorbing iron. So dont consume them together. Wait a few hrs before consuming any of these

• Iron supplements are not a cure for baldness. It prevents/reverses hair loss/breakage caused by lack of iron.

Though long, I hope you all (mostly ladies) benefited from this..
Sponsored Links

khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 2:03pm
Thanks for sharing! 
kkty83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kkty83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 2:31pm

Thanks for the info

Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 9:54am
could do with this infoThumbs%20Up
MissMesha View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissMesha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 3:46pm
Great info... very interesting.
YeezyPeezy87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YeezyPeezy87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 4:03pm
I found this out reading an article in a magazine. I was having major breakage and the top of my head and I couldn't figure out why. After I started taking my iron pills like I was suppose to it stopped.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply