Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Integration Vs Seperatism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Integration Vs Seperatism
    Posted: May 18 2014 at 11:37pm
Im writing a paper about this right now for my African American Studies class.... well actually Im procrastinating on the computerOuch..  It kind of Bugs me because my prof (white) is definitely slanted on this and I think it's effecting my paper.

However, I was curous where you all stand on this. 

What do you feel was more beneficial for Black People throughout history?
Which one fits your personal ideologies?

Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 11:38pm
For those that are unsure of what these are think MLK(integrationist) vs Malcom X(seperatist) or Booker T Washington (seperatist) vs WEB Dubois (integrationist)
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 11:46pm
I thought integration was the way to go when I was younger and life was less complicated. But as I get older, separatism seems better.

We're integrated (we can shop in the same places, live in the same areas, etc) in some ways but still very separate in others (pay, opportunities in education, workforce, targeting by police, punishment).

We tried separatism before but yts still were threatened and destroyed/terrorized our communities...Ermm

ETA: I can't spell lol

Edited by carolina cutie - May 18 2014 at 11:47pm
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 11:49pm
Separatism but segregation had to go for at least the appearance of equality to head way

Integration destroyed the mentality of African Americans... or the mentality of AA was already destroyed but integration gave us the tools to destroy ourselves economically
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 12:00am
Segregation seems to be natural.
Is messing up nature ever good?
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 12:03am
So ya'll don't agree with MLK's love your enemy approach? Was it effective during it's time?

Also, how do you feel about Booker T Washington's Atlanta Compromise?
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 12:39am
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

So ya'll don't agree with MLK jrs love your enemy approach? Well, MLK jr . wasn't no punk like the way most want to portray him as. He was about loving people. But doesn't wanted to be treated like a second class citizen because of his skin. Was it effective during it's time? Yes it was, more than any other movement. There are plenty of things he did that many people still don't know about. 

Also, how do you feel about Booker T Washington's Atlanta Compromise? Never cared for the guy, he was too much of a pacifist for my liking.

I truly believe if black people were really treated equally many of us wouldn't have liked to integrate. It was mainly because we weren't treated equally.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 12:46am
The ironic thing is that both Malcolm X and MLK started to change their position right before their deaths

Malcolm was becoming more of an integrationist and MLK was starting to fear that he had integrated his people into a "burning house"
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

The ironic thing is that both Malcolm X and MLK started to change their position right before their deaths

Malcolm was becoming more of an integrationist and MLK was starting to fear that he had integrated his people into a "burning house"

And right before Malcolm, died he was stating that we would like to work with any civil rights leader. They had to take both of them out, because two educated black leaders united like that. Shocked
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 12:58am
You have to write your paper from your heart, but be sure you can back up your POV. Your Prof will have respect your views.
He should not be there to suppress your view/opinions.
You will have to back it up with solid evidence though.

Good Luck

Edited by Benni - May 19 2014 at 11:51am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic