Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Weaves / Extensions Archives > Weaves / Extensions Archives 2008
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Forum Lockedinstalling a weave by yourself

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
likecandee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 9:33am
I may try my own install next. You all are inspiring.  I had a friend braid my hair and then I sewed on the tracks.  The net makes it SO much easier. 

Cutie2 - Nice install.  Love the ring!! Is that a princess cut?
Sponsored Links

cutie2all28 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 9:39am
likecandee,
Yes it is a princess cut. Thanks!!
likecandee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 11:55am
Nice!!Thumbs%20Up
KBeeH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 11:58am
Originally posted by cutie2all28 cutie2all28 wrote:

I learned how to do my own hair from my friend. I watched her and over time I got better. I go to other stylist from time to time to get a break and to also check out their techniques. It takes a while to do your own hair but the best part about is I save a whole lotta money!!
I did this myself about a week ago using HC hair from my stash. 

Good job cutie! Did you leave some out or was it a full weave?

And again, congratulations on your ring. (was it the ih hair that got you that??)LOL
Malwina View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 1:54pm
Wow! I've been searching for a topic like this and I didn't find one... weird? I thought that people that sew-in by themselves just don't exist :)
I am forced to install my weave by myself, because in my town they play only with European hair... I wasn't gonna pay $200 for installing anyway.
I'm buying 18'' of this one: http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/ViewDetail.php?product_id=414.

The thing is, I don't know a damn thing about weaves, wigs etc. I was about to take intensive care of my own hair this year, but I'm just too impatient to wait for results.

I have so so so much questions:
#1 I understand I'll have to braid my hair before sewing in. I have never seen anyone doing corn-rows on my own eyes, so I have a question, that may seem stupid a little: what happens to hair in the back? How can I cover that part under a weave? Or maybe I have to cut my hair? I mean that part, if you don't know what I mean (and you surely don't ;)):

#2 How tracks in the hell I need to cover my full head?! Is there any way to check it? I import my weave so I have to be sure.

#3 My hair is tex-laxed to 3B texture for now. Will it be visible if I weave my hair the Malaysian method?

--------

Maybe someone would make an official Self-Weaving Thread, similar to "Weave 101"? I think it would be extremely helpful.

Malwina View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 6:24am
bump :)
I really need to know this :(
Nadiesca View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 7:38am
Question 1 : What i do is a take half of the braid in
the back and cross to the right and i do the same with the other half but cross it to the left then i sew them so they lay flat in the back on my head

Question 2: it depend what kind of style you do...i start sewing from ears to ears and it depend how much braid you do

Hope u understand my answers
Malwina View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 8:55am
Yep, thank you, now I know what to do with braids in the back Smile

Referring to my 2nd question... I lurked in Hairsisters.com's FAQ and here's what they say about full-head weaving:

"How many packs of weaving or braiding hair do I need to do for full-head?   
On average, a customer would require two packs of weaving hair or two to three packs of braiding hair for a full-head. However, this figure may not be the true for you. It all depends on your head size and fullness you're anticipating. Please consult hair experts."

So I have 3 packs in my shopping bag for now Disapprove Are "packs" the same as "tracks"?

qtslim83 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 8:58am

1 "pack" normally equals 4 oz of hair, most people need about 6-8 oz for a full weave.  I think you have more than enoughWink.  I would just get the two packs

Phatty*Girl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Malwina Malwina wrote:

#1 I understand I'll have to braid my hair before sewing in. I have never seen anyone doing corn-rows on my own eyes, so I have a question, that may seem stupid a little: what happens to hair in the back? How can I cover that part under a weave? Or maybe I have to cut my hair? I mean that part, if you don't know what I mean (and you surely don't ;)):

#2 How tracks in the hell I need to cover my full head?! Is there any way to check it? I import my weave so I have to be sure.

#3 My hair is tex-laxed to 3B texture for now. Will it be visible if I weave my hair the Malaysian method?

Take the ends of the hair and put it in between the two cornrows next to it.  ie. (we are going to move from right to left) With that said, the braid closest to his ear-braid #1, put the end between braid #1 and #2.  The end of braid #2, put that between braid #2 and #3, and so on so forth.  You then sew the hair to the cornrows so that it's flat.

4 o.z is for a partial weave and 8 oz. is for a full head.  Some people can get away with 4-6 oz for a full head weave so it all depends on your head size and how full you want your hair to be.  Keep in mind that the longer the hair length, the less hair per track.  (ie. if a 4oz track is continuous, 14" will be 75" all together, but if you purchase 22" of hair, the continuous track will be 50" <--these numbers are not accurate)

Sorry but I don't know what the malaysian method is.Confused  However, if you plan on leaving your hair out (ie. edges, horseshoe), get hair that is closest to your hair's texture, that way, blending won't be too much of a hassle (which totally takes away from the weave experience)

Edited by Phatty*Girl - Feb 19 2008 at 9:00am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style