A similar story. Yeesh.
'It was sealed shut like an aircraft': Five teens dead in motel room carbon monoxide poisoning after leaving their car running in garage beneath their room
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
UPDATED: 02:25 EST, 30 December 2010
- Boys were celebrating a friend's 19th birthday
- Their Kia Optima was still running when police arrived
- Friends claim room was 'sealed shut like an aircraft'
Five teenagers celebrating a friend's birthday have died from carbon monoxide poisoning after they left their car running in the garage beneath their Florida motel room.
Their fully clothed bodies were found on and around the Hotel Presidente bed by a maid who peered through the window just hours later.
Evans Charles, 19, Jonas Antenor, 18, Peterson Nazon, 17, and Jean Pierre Ferdinand, 16, had rented the room on Sunday to celebrate the 19th birthday of their friend Juchen Martial.
Horror: A paramedic looks grim as he wheels the body of one of five teenage boys from a Florida motel room before waiting family and friends yesterday
Unimaginable grief: A woman believed to be related to one of the teenagers breaks down outside the Hotel Presidente in Florida. The boys died of carbon monoxide poisoning
Tragic accident: Friends and family react with shock as they learn of the news at the Hotel Presidente in Hialeah, Florida yesterday
'The room is sealed shut like it was an aircraft,' one of the victims' friends, Junior Reeds, 26, told the Miami Herald.
'This is a hotel room. You got to have vents. A minor incident could cause a big tragedy.'
The mother of one of the boys told reporters she had been calling the hotel room all morning but had received no answer.
The boys checked in to the motel, near Miami International Airport, around 9pm on Sunday night. Rooms cost $62 per night.
The next day at 2pm a maid called 911 to report the five unconscious bodies inside.
She told the emergency dispatcher in Spanish that she opened the door and called out 'hello' and got no response.
Poisoner: A red Kia was still running in the garage below the teenagers' room when the police arrived at the scene
'They're all there, and they don't respond,' she said.
'They're sprawled on the floor. I haven't wanted to touch them. I'm scared.'
She described the smell of gasoline as horrible. 'It's a terrible stench,' she told the dispatcher.
Carl Zogby, a spokesman for police in Hialeah, Florida, said: 'It seems like this is a tragic accident.'
The teenagers had borrowed a red Kia Optima from a friend for the trip.
About an hour before they checked in, the car was jump-started by another friend, named in the Miami Herald as Maxon Ofea, 18.
Ofea, who grew up with the five dead teenagers, said they had left the car running in the bottom floor, single-car garage because they were afraid it wouldn't start again.
Another friend, 26-year-old Richard Dalce, said the same. 'They didn't want to cut the car off,' he told reporters.
But the door at the bottom of an inside staircase leading up to the room was left open, allowing high levels of the odourless, deadly gas to seep into the room.
The car's engine was still running when police and rescue workers arrived on the scene.
Takeaway bags from McDonalds, some of the food still uneaten, were found in the room.
'Right now, we should all be hanging out,' Mr Ofea said.
Nearly a dozen friends and loved ones of the victims, who were all apparently of a Haitian background, were gathered outside the hotel on hearing the news yesterday.
Immacula Nazon, the mother of victim Peterson, 17, could not contain her grief.
'They killed my son, they killed my son,' she cried in Creole.
Tragedy: The five teenagers were celebrating a 19th birthday at Hotel Presidente when they died from monoxide poisoning caused by their car
Solemn: Family and friends of the victims watch in horror as the bodies of the five teenagers are taken away
She told the Miami Herald she had been phoning the hotel all morning. 'Nobody answered,' she said.
Peterson's sister Patricia, 22, said she had told her brother to stay home when she heard about the motel plan.
But he ignored her and went off with his friends. It was the last time she ever spoke to him.
Officials say no alcohol, illegal drugs or other suspicious items were found in the room.
Breaking down: Family and friends in tears as the bodies are removed yesterday
Smoke detectors were found in both the garage and the motel room. Police were testing them to ensure they were working.
A 2007 Florida law requires gas detectors to be installed in hotel and motel boiler rooms.
The legislation also requires that any residential buildings constructed after July, 2008 with a heater, fireplace or attached garage have an alarm installed within ten feet of the bedrooms.
Zogby said police are now checking to see if the Hotel Presidente had been ordered to equip its rooms carbon monoxide detectors.
Carbon monoxide poisoning kills more than 400 people in America every year, according to the U.S. Fire Administration.
See video here
Share or comment on this article
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342132/5-teens-dead-car-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-Florida-motel-room.html#ixzz2yhxAmrqp
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook