Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Talk Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedINDIAN HUMAN HAIR EXTENSIONS =MORAL DILEMMA ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
we-r-beautiful View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: INDIAN HUMAN HAIR EXTENSIONS =MORAL DILEMMA ?
    Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 1:25pm
I just read a very interesting article in Allure Magazine called "The Locks Market" the article discusses  Tonsuring.  Tonsuring is the ritual shaving of ones head to show devotion and gratitude to the gods. This act is practiced at the Hindu temple of Tirumala a temple of a sect of Hinduism.  Entire families come to the temple for tonsuring.  Once the tonsuring is completed the hair is collected and sold to hair extension companies. This Hindu temple is one of the richest because of this "little" side business. The money made from the sell of the hair is put back into the community and the temple.
So for those of you that feel the only true religion is Christianity and all other religions are doomed to hell, does this keep you from wearing Indian Hair Extensions ?
Sponsored Links

SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by we-r-beautiful we-r-beautiful wrote:

I just read a very interesting article in Allure Magazine called "The Locks Market" the article discusses  Tonsuring.  Tonsuring is the ritual shaving of ones head to show devotion and gratitude to the gods. This act is practiced at the Hindu temple of Tirumala a temple of a sect of Hinduism.  Entire families come to the temple for tonsuring.  Once the tonsuring is completed the hair is collected and sold to hair extension companies. This Hindu temple is one of the richest because of this "little" side business. The money made from the sell of the hair is put back into the community and the temple.
So for those of you that feel the only true religion is Christianity and all other religions are doomed to hell, does this keep you from wearing Indian Hair Extensions ?

Sleepy
Yardgirl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 1:34pm
So they shave their head because of a religious practice

The hair is sold and the money goes back into the community

What part of that is so awful that people should feel bad?
hipsterdryad View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 1:34pm
I aint no fundie, and I don't wear human hair.

But from what I've read, it seems like a sort of exploitation and sacrilege. Kind of like stealing food from a temple to feed to big wigs or something. No pun intended.
cutejawjapeach View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 1:36pm
Stern%20Smile
we-r-beautiful View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 1:37pm
I don't think people should be feel bad about it at all. It poses no problem for me. However it is supporting the Hindu religion, some might have a problem with support a religion that is not Christian.
JulieGianni View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 1:38pm
I remember a story about the Hasidic Jews.

Their women are not allowed to show their hair once married, so they wear wigs.

At some point the Rabbis found out that the wigs were made from Indian hair (Hindus) and therefore not allowed under jewish law.
JulieGianni View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 1:40pm

Orthodox Jews face wig ban after Hindu hair inquiry

Orthodox Jewish women who cover their hair with real hair wigs have been ordered to stop, because the hair used comes from Hindu women.

Following an investigation, during which an orthodox rabbi was dispatched to India to monitor the practice, the women have been told that in future only synthetic wigs will be acceptable because it would take just one Indian hair to contaminate a whole wig.

At issue is apparently the fact that Hindu women are shorn during a religious purification ceremony and that therefore the hair itself would be seen as being linked with idol worship.

The ultra-conservative rabbi Dayan Ahron Dovid Dunner, who travelled to the subcontinent to see the wigs being manufactured, was quoted by the Jewish Chronicle as saying: "I appeal to women's consciences and sense of devotion to Judaism for them to refrain from wearing any human hair wig until guidelines can be put in place to give certain wigs ... a religious seal of approval."

Jewish women who hide their hair have already been told not to use wigs made from European hair because these are too glamorous.

Jewish wig makers, who claim they face the loss of thousands of pounds' worth of hairpieces, have been told that manufacturers of synthetic wigs will not be allowed to profit by putting up their prices.

In New York, orthodox women have already burned their hairpieces on the pavement.

The Jewish Chronicle quoted Albert Obadia of Simmy's, a Hendon-based company, saying the ruling had already cost 60,000: "We have 400 Indian sheitels which we cannot sell."

niki_p View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 1:41pm
Christians arent the only religion, so if they don't support them that seems silly to me. well, i don't wear hair(apart from synthetic braids and mine) so i don't see the big deal about wearing other people's hair.
hipsterdryad View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 1:42pm
I dunno. I just think that if the hair is used as an act of worship, it shouldn't necessarily be sold.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic