Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Increase your hair growth with Vitamins Challenge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Increase your hair growth with Vitamins Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 48>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
natural essence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natural essence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 10:20am
Veemack,

Thanks for the advise.  A lot of the suggestions you mentioned I am already doing but I will start to incorporate into regime on a more consistent basis.  I don't think the swim caps are the issue as only the perimeter and possibly the back will become wet......no matter how you protect it water will manage to get in.  My hair is growing though as although I don't see it, my daughter said that there surely is a difference.

Loulou,
Thanks for the advise.  I use the liquid gold every other day but I am going to remake my moisture mix and exclude the sulfur and other ingredients to see which may be causing the dryness.  The dryness is more so at the ends.

Seeing that your hair is similiar in texture to mine may I ask what you use on your hair or your hair regime?  I am almost finished the Elasta QP and am looking for something I can use in it's place.  I have tried crisco in the past and think I may just go that route for sealing but suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks Ladies
Sponsored Links

Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 11:15am
Right rarely do we see our growth, but others will see it, I guess because we look at it everyday more closely......It really sounds like your hair cuticle is opened on the ends for whatever reason. If the cuticle of not closing properly it will not matter what product you use. Haircare is simple once you figure out what is the cause of your dryness. Although you are saying you follow a lot of my suggestions already, it sounds like you  are missing something important for your ends to be dry and experiencing breakage. I would say start back at the drawing board and pick apart your regimen bit by bit. Sometimes it helps to act as though you are just starting out. So you can pick your regimen apart to find out what the issue is. For sure your ends are not getting the proper moisture even though you are using lots of products. So this should tell you that another product is not the answer to your problem. The issue is with your hair strands and what it is not getting. Didn't you say you have short pieces and long pieces? I only ask because I talk to so many people over the internet about haircare, sometimes I get people mixed up with their hair issues. If you did say it is breaking this means your hair is weak and this usually comes from lack of moisture. If you are not doing anything to your hair strands to breakdown the protein bonds, such as: color, brushing or flat ironing, then it is a dryness issue. So your hair is not retaining moisture. Correct your porous issue and you will turn your hair around. The water you shampoo with could be hard and creating a overly porous issue within your hair strands.....
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 11:24am
Happy Friday everybody!!!!!!!!!
Hope you all have a very blessed weekend!!!!!!!!!
Don't forget to stick with your vitamin regimen throughout the weekend of fun!Smile
Remember hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Water! Water! Water!
Can you ladies believe it is already March 1st?
Yes Spring will be here before we know it!

I have a few more days on the Mineral Rich vitamin and I will replace it with Hairfinity for 2 months. I will always keep the Mineral Rich as a part of my vitamin regimen, because it is a good vitamin, imo. I just want to try HairFinity so I can let my clients know from first hand experience. So I will keep you guys posted when I order, which should be in the next two weeks.

This morning I took my vitamins after a breakfast of oatmeal topped with fresh blueberries, lots of protein and antioxidants. Yummy! Yummy! Yummy!

So what type of breakfast do you ladies take with your vitamins?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natural essence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 5:06pm
Veemack,

You have the right chick.....When I take down my cornrows I am noticing short and long strands.  I know they typically say that short strands are indicitive to breakage and long to shedding but from as far as /i can recall whenever I detangle my hair this has always been the case.  I know that we typically are going to lose strands on a daily basis so I always tended to look at it as the normal rate of shedding.

I plan to do exactly as you stated in regards to dissecting my regime to figure out what my hair likes. Funny thing is that I had two strand twisted my hair on monday and just unravelled a few and my hair feels great....bonus I don't see any sheded strands.

I will keep you updated.

loulou82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loulou82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 9:38pm
@Natural Essence:

I give you my regimen with this caveat: I've tried A LOT of products over the years and can now pretty much look at a label and tell if my hair will like it or not based on the ingredients. It took trial and error to find products that worked for me. I suggest learning your hair's characteristics and then researching ingredients that work or do not for those particular qualities.

So here's a summary of my hair:

* Fine Strand
* Medium Density
* High Porosity (wets fast and dries very quickly)
* Pen Spring Sized Curl Pattern
* Kinky-Coily-Frizzy
* Easily Tangles
* Likes Mild Protein 
*Susceptible to SSKs (which have been under control since 2012)

Short list of products that work for me:

Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo (I dilute shampoo in a nozzled bottle and apply to scalp and along my hair)
Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner
ORS Replenishing Pak
AO White Camilia Smoothing Conditioner
Grapeseed Oil
Avocado Oil
Sweet Almond Oil
Hello Hydration Conditoner
Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor Conditioner
Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Leave In
Avocado Butter
Hemp Butter

Ingredients that don't play nicely with my hair:
Aloe vera
Glycerin
Shea Butter
Castor Oil
EVOO
Coconut Oil

My Regimen:
- Wash with shampoo when I have time (maybe once a month)
- Stay in a high bun- I usually wear a headband, bow, fabric to dress it up
- On wash day: Pre-poo with oil and let it marinate for a few hours and then start detangling hair with fingers that has been sectioned in 4 large sections. The original 4 sections become 8 that have been twisted or wound up and pinned (as if doing a banu-knot). When washing take down a section, hold it taunt and shampoo, focusing on scalp, rinse, then but back in a bantu knot and secure with clip (If I kept the sections in twists then I wash in the twists (I don't have issues with shampoo not being fully rinsed out). I apply DC and sit under my steamer or sit around the house for an hour. Rinse spray on leave in or squeeze it in my hair if your a lotion-y leave in. Air dry in twists or my bantu knots. I style into my bun after my hair is dry and stretched.
- Wear a satin scarf around the house and to bed.
- During the week I re-moisturize maybe 2-3 times a week. (I use a mix of distilled water or rose water, conditioner, and oil) I haven't found a commercial product that works the way I want it to. 

Here is a more detailed post I wrote last year about my hair:

Lately, I'v been pondering about my hair's characteristics and how that affects the products I've used and the way I handle my hair. A youtube video by Kimmaytube and a pH database thread on LHCF really challenged me to think about how I contribute to the appear and "health" of my hair. I would describe my hair as fine-stand, tightly coiled, naturally frizzy, medium density, prone to tangles, SSKs, and breakage, and, lastly, highly porous. But what does that mean in regards to its maintenance?

I've regularly looked for tips and techniques to help me with my hair but never really took what I knew about my hair and consciously researched how these characteristics related to each other. So far in the 4 years tracking my hair growth I have purchased dozens and dozens of products with hits and misses along the way. I've also tried many methods like loose hair, non-protective styling, protective styling (weave, wigs, twists, braids), baggying, frequent moisturizing, non-frequent moisturizing, etc. Basically I've taken a reactive instead of proactive approach to my hair care.

Success #1: Identifying my ideal pH

I viewed a Kimmaytube video in which she stated that certain pH's directly correlated to how she maintains her hair and how she can predict how her hair will look by the products used. I wanted to get to that level with my hair. So, I proceeded to read up on pH (knowing how dry and quickly my hair loses moisture) and made a running list off all the hair products that have been successful with my hair and noticed a trend... products (particularly conditioners and leave-ins) with a pH between 3-4 flattened out and smoothed my hair and kept it somewhat moisturized. This pH range is acidic and makes the stands compact by providing a positive charge and more hydrogen bonds between the keratin scales. My hair is overly porous and thus can lose up to 50% of its water content. It swells with water then loses it quickly. So it makes sense that my lifted cuticles respond so well to products that help smooth and lay them flat.

Success #2: Moisture and How to Seal Cuticles

Products with my ideal pH level tend to be formulated for dry, damaged, porous hair. As I reflect, I have actually been on the right track as far as moisturizing products go. I've had good results with AO White Camilia SMOOTHING Conditioner, Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner, and Giovanni SMOOTH as Silk Conditioner. (notice the smoothing trend). I will definitely go back to these products and add others like Joico Moisture Recovery. Next, I fell off from sealing but will re-introduce sealing with butters like sweet almond butter and hemp butter. I found a great article on how to make these butters from carrier oils and hydrogenated oils and will be experimenting. Additionally, I will use porosity controllers like Roux, do ACV rinses, and cold water rinses to constrict the cuticles.

Success #3: Understanding the Importance of Protein for Highly Porous Hair

Protein actually helps my hair by fortifying the hair cuticles and allowing the shaft to better hold onto the moisture it receives. A stronger hair shaft that is less prone to break will help me immensely with my split ends. I always knew my hair tolerated protein but didn't know why until now. My revamped regimen will include regular use of mild protein like Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor and AO Island Naturals Conditioner.

On-Going Challenge: Styling
My hair does well in a number of styles (when done by others). I prefer protective styling for ease of use and my general styling inabilities. But I understand that my hair actually retained the same length when I did numerous WNG puffs as when I was under a weave. I've lost the most hair during de-tangling sessions and blow-drying. I'm still trying to get my technique down. I would like to achieve styles on my own like bantu-knot outs, cute cornrows, twist outs (they look very sad right now), caruso sets, twist-n-curls, etc. This will have to come with practice.

Overall, I think I've finally reached a point of truly understanding my hair. I think it's just the beginning but I'm happy about the progress I've made. It took my 4 years but I suppose that's why it's called a hair journey. :)
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 12:53pm
Good afternoon ladies!!!!!!!!!

Hope your weekend was good, mines surely was.

So how are you ladies doing with your vitamin supplements?
Anybody got anymore before and after pictures to share?

What are your hair goals? Are you seeing a difference in your vitamin taking regimen concerning your hair? I think March 20th will be 70 days on this challenge, give or take. So lets say that April 20th will be 90 days with your current vitamin regimen. If you are not seeing results which differ form your normal growth rate, then this would be a good time to makeover your vitamin regimen. Remember other factors come into play like your daily, weekly haircare routine. Your hair could be growing and improving, but your regimen could be taking your hair out. So one would need to evaluate both. Personally I am satisfied with my results. My goals is to be more consistent when my daily routine gets interrupted. Because if I don't take the vitamins I can't expect to get results.

How about you ladies?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natural essence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 1:26pm
@ Loulou,

Thank you soooo much for the information you have provided.  It is very informative and has provided me with a starting point to disseminate my product stash to determine what is beneficial for my hair to foster.

Although no two heads are alike, we sound like hair twins in the sense of the texture and characteristics of the hair especially in regards to the porosity...my hair dries very quickly.

In success #1 you touched on the improtance of ph.  I have looked into Kimmaytube's ph information in the past and make my leave in based upon her reccipe however, I have not taken it to the next step in regards to looking at the ph into all of the products I use on my hair. 

Are you determining the ph level by what is listed on the container or do you test with ph strips?

modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 11:56pm
Hola ladies! ^_^

Ok so I finally got the chance to wash my hair today and was able to take pics too. So, it looks like I'm hovering around BSL but I'm not really sure - you be the judge. My hair has definitely grown though and I've fully recovered from my horrible marley twist incident in January. :)

Full growth progress since last Summer on my flickr...

ETA: the last 3 pics in the set are the most recent ones from tonight....

Edited by modelbusiness82 - Mar 04 2013 at 12:00am
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 12:10am
Another thing I wanted to add, the Liquid Gold and using it on GHE nights really did well to restore the moisture balance in my hair. I've been wearing my hair in Celie twists under my flw and just oiling my scalp & massaging it. When I undid my hair tonight and detangled, I noticed how shiny (not greasy) it was...definitely love Liquid Gold. :) 
AanchalS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AanchalS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 1:03am
@loulou82: thanks for your tips!

This is good effort for hair growth.Proteins and vitamins are necessary for hair growth.

http://www.akclinics.com/blog/how-to-care-for-hair-hair-care-tips/ - Hair Care Tips
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 48>
  Share Topic