Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Incompatible lace?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Incompatible lace?
    Posted: Apr 23 2015 at 7:08pm
So I've been attempting to get a few days wear (at a time) out of my wig and it's been trying. By that, I mean that the adhesive would stick to my skin just fine except for 1 case and most of the time my lace would lift clean right off of it. Since I wash and seal my wig in between wears, I've been stuck with wondering why in the world does it never work. I've even taken up the habit of cleaning the edges of the lace with 99% alcohol or acetone before applying and it still happens. Now I know it's possible that certain adhesives can be incompatible with a person's body chemistry but can certain laces be incompatible with adhesives?
Sponsored Links

Lacy Gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lacy Gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2015 at 4:26pm
You need to give us more info including the steps you take.

What type of adhesive are you using? How do you prepare the skin before using the adhesive? Are you using scalp protector? Are you spreading it too thick? Are you waiting the required amount of dry time before you put the lace down? Are you pushing the lace down into the adhesive good--I used to use little wooden sticks?  Are you tying it down afterwards (satin/polyester scarf)? What is your scalp method? How are you cleaning the adhesive off at wash time (what do you use to remove it and afterwards are you using dawn)? What do you do to your hair/head at bedtime?

Edited by Lacy Gal - Apr 26 2015 at 4:31pm
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2015 at 5:27pm
1. Ghost Bond XL
2. I start off by using my facial exfoliator (Neutrogena) to get rid of any dead skin. Then use witch hazel to get rid of any residue from the exfoliator. Follow that up with 99% alcohol to make sure that there's no remaining oils and then follow that up with 2 layers of skin protector (Walker's).
3. Yup; Walker's scalp protector.
4. That I'm not sure of. I used a little makeup brush (looked like a lipstick brush but bigger).
5. Yes, definitely. It's only supposed to take a minute in between coats to go clear before applying the next layer and on the 4th, I did set a timer for 7 mins before applying the lace onto it as per the instructions on the bottle.
6. I believe I'm pushing the lace down into the adhesive well. I used my rat tail comb to comb right into the hairline and use the back to push it in.
7. Yes, I do tie it down with a silk scarf for the rest of the time I'm in the house so that could be anywhere from a few hrs to overnight (overnight mostly).
8. If you mean how do I do the scalp for my wig, I faux bleach. I start off with using my top-loc to seal the knots, set a timer for 15 mins. After that, I spray a light layer of the Jerome Russell B Blonde spray, set timer for 15 mins. After that, I spray another light layer of Sally Hansen Airbrush legs to cover the blonde, set timer for 15 mins and finally follow up with a matte acrylic spray to seal in the coloring (before waiting another 15 mins to touch the wig).
That is done for that crown of the wig while the edges are protected by a plastic bag so none of this product gets on the hairline. The only thing that should be on the hairline itself is a light layer of fray block.
9. To remove my wig, I usually start off with lace release to get it clear from my lace and after a few mins, I can literally peel the lace cleanly right off of me with little to no glue left on the lace. For the little leftovers that I do find, I use ghost buster to clean the lace followed by 99% alcohol to get rid of the residue. I don't use Dawn to get rid of the residue from the oils because it isn't available here but I do use my clarifier (HE Drama Clean) to wash my wig everytime and that stuff pretty much washes everything from the lace.
10. For bed (and when I'm in the house generally), I bun it or braid it up then tie it down with my headscarf to help with tension (if it gets trapped under hubby) and moisture (sometimes I sweat when I sleep if it's the summer).
pg12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pg12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 9:12pm
what I do to secure the tape to the lace is when I use my c22 to create that scalp look I spray it to the edge of the lace and then apply the tape to the wig then tie it down for about an hour..i just started using ghostbond xl and like it a lot...I apply that around my hairline...the tie down is first on the wig then after I apply it I tie it down for about an hour as well..hope this helps

if you don't use c22 but use the clear adhesive to seal knots before it dries apply your tape to the wig..

Edited by pg12345 - May 21 2015 at 9:14pm
marie67 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 8:46am
Also make sure that there isn't any oily residue left on the lace or your skin, spray some skin prep to your skin and wig and make sure the lace and skin are completely dry before bonding or re-bonding.

Edited by marie67 - May 29 2015 at 8:50am
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 12:30pm
the lace may be to hard and that could be the issue. or maybe it has big grids... like they possibly advertised it as swiss lace but it is not actually as delicate as swiss lace.
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2015 at 6:07am
Sorry I'm late. I've been busy with a huge project since this post and haven't had the time to chill on BHM like I used to.

I generally wash the lace with my clarifying poo or dishwashing liquid. Being as paranoid as I have gotten, I also tend to get just the edge of my lace with the 99% alcohol after it dries initially. I try to rub it in between my fingers as well because there has been a time or two when my detergents haven't worked and there will be still some residue. I think I'll try to apply it again this weekend maybe because my hair needs a little rest. BTW, this wig's base is french lace. I figured it would smarter choosing that since I'm still a newbie at this and I can be a bit clutzy.
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2015 at 8:32am
So I've reapplied my wig the day before yesterday and it's still not sticking! I even ran the 99% alcohol on edges before applying the tape, then let that sit there for ages. I followed the instructions to the ghostbond to the letter and I still can't get this wig to stick down onto the glue. The glue itself is still pretty tacky and everytime I take off the scarf, I can feel a bit of lifting on the hairline, specifically at the nape more than anywhere else.

I think for my next install, I should probably experiment and use less ghostbond xl and see if that will work. Has anyone else needed to tweak their install regimen in order to get it to work?
gloryx10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gloryx10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2015 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Kocoa Kocoa wrote:

So I've reapplied my wig the day before yesterday and it's still not sticking! I even ran the 99% alcohol on edges before applying the tape, then let that sit there for ages. I followed the instructions to the ghostbond to the letter and I still can't get this wig to stick down onto the glue. The glue itself is still pretty tacky and every time I take off the scarf, I can feel a bit of lifting on the hairline, specifically at the nape more than anywhere else.

I think for my next install, I should probably experiment and use less ghostbond xl and see if that will work. Has anyone else needed to tweak their install regimen in order to get it to work?

You know Kocoa ~ Ghost Bond XL did not work that good for me as the original Ghost Bond did.  It took me using 2 bottles to figure this out.  However, the nape area is a pretty tricky area to stay secure with any white adhesive IMO ~ you may have to use adhesive with some tape to get a hold for longer than a week.  HTH
PinoyHairAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PinoyHairAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2015 at 1:41am
I don't want to sound stupid here with my suggestion so I hope you bear with me. I don't know what texture you are wearing (silky, coarse, slightly coarse, wavy, curly, kinky etc.) but you may want to experiment and try the glueless method although this might prevent you from wearing the lace wig in an updo.
You will need to expose a tiny bit of your hairline and lay down your edges (I don't know what your natural texture is so I'm assuming that you wear the lace to the very front because you have a tighter pattern and would not want to use heat).

I've seen videos on youtube in which they used gel or hairspray on the scalp of their parting to act as a temporary 'glue' to get it as flat as possible. I've also seen videos where they used bobby pins beneath the hair (both sides of the parting of the wig and natural hair) to flatten and bind the wig's parting to their own parting (no adhesive but exposing only half an inch of their hairline)

The lace foundation on your unit might be on the thick side because lace can vary from vendor to vendor.

I hope you find a solution.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic