Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

In Positive Black Stories News.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2014 at 2:34pm

Dr. Reva Kay Williams is the first person to successfully work out the Penrose Mechanism to extract energy from a black hole. She is the first Black American female Ph.D in Astrophysics.
Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2014 at 2:37pm

Chess Star On The Rise: 12 Year Old Diamond Shakoor Climbs The Ranks Of The Game.

After playing in nearly 250 tournaments, she’s unstoppable!

At the age of seven, it’s safe to say that most kids want to be just like their parents – walk like them, act like them, work like them. For Diamond Shakoor, that meant being intrigued by her dad Abdul, who at the time was teaching older kids on how to play chess. “I asked him one day if I could play and he was like ‘Sure, if you stop getting in trouble in school.’ And so that’s how the journey started," she says.

Teach her he did, and now, after playing in nearly 250 tournaments, she’s unstoppable.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2014 at 2:38pm

Against all odds!

Camille Wardrop Alleyne is a brilliant aerospace engineer whose accomplishments in that field have been extraordinary. In the highly technical fields of science and engineering where women are in the minority, she has achieved against all odds, being one of a few women of colour and the only woman of Caribbean descent in a senior management position at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). The recipient of several recognition awards from NASA, she has played a lead role in the design and development of space vehicles, among them the state-of-the-art Orion crew exploration vehicle. She has also received commendations from the US Department of Defense for her work on its ballistic missile defence system.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 1:15pm
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 4:45pm

FL high school student offered 150 scholarships

SHARE 166 CONNECT 4 TWEETCOMMENTEMAILMORE

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Chad Thomas, a senior at Booker T. Washington, is a teen with many talents. So many talents, that he has received hundreds of college scholarship offers.

Thomas, 18, has received 150 scholarships for his skills on the football field, but also for his exceptional musical abilities—playing a total of nine instruments.

Of the football and music scholarships offered, Thomas has chosen to attend the University of Miami and will play football as a Hurricane, and also practice his musical talents at the University's Frost School of Music.

Thomas helped lead the Booker T. Tornadoes to back-to-back state championships and win a national title this season. But it's not only being on the field that he loves—Thomas says he fell in love with music at the age of three while listening to his late grandmother's gospel CDS.

Thomas said his grandmother bought him a guitar and also signed him up for piano lessons. By the time he was five, Thomas was performing.

"My plans…I'm going to UM for music technology and I'm going to play football," said Thomas.

So play for the NFL or a career in music production—for Thomas his focus in in both.

"So if I make it to the NFL that would be a blessing for me," said Thomas. But his love for music remains a strong passion. "I have love for music and took it upon myself to learn and play the instruments I hear in the songs."

Thomas plays the piano, trombone, euphonium (a small tuba), base guitar, regular guitar, snare, tuba, trumpet and drums.

CBS4's Cynthia Demos asked Thomas, if he had to choose a career in either music or football, he paused for a moment but then finally answered.

"It would probably be music," said Thomas.

blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 5:55pm

Suit Dreams helps high school seniors by providing them with donated suits for prom, job interviews

Published: April 3, 2014 2:35 PM

Suit Dreams collects donated suits from community members and private organizations, and gives them to high school students who may need them for prom and job interviews after they graduate. (4/3/14)

BROOKLYN - A Brooklyn-based non-profit organization is coming to the rescue to help high school seniors as they enter the workforce.

Suit Dreams collects donated suits from community members and private organizations, and gives them to high school students who may need them for prom and job interviews after they graduate.

Bushwick resident Jerrell Horton, who is president of the organization, says he has partnered with schools like the Cobbile Hill School of American Studies since 2011. He says that in both New York and Chicago, Ill., the organization has given out about 1,500 suits.

Suit Dreams will hold a professional attire drive in Manhattan tomorrow. It expects to receive about 600 suits.

unnamed

Untitled

At last year’s event, Suit Dreams collected over 400 suits which they donated to the male students in their program and is aiming this year to gather 600-800 suits and other professional attire including belts, ties, socks, etc. to accommodate their growing roster of students.  The organization will also be collecting professional attire for women at the event to donate to non-profit organization, Dress for Success.

Founded in 2011, Suit Dreams is a charitable organization which aims to educate and prepare young high school male students of color in the New York and Chicago areas for their future career endeavors and provide them with the tools to interact in professional environments.  In addition to the gifting of tailored suits, Suit Dreams organizes corporate field trips to expose students in their program to office environments and working professionals of color.  Suit Dreams also hosts educational workshops and social events to foster the fundamentals of confidence, chivalry, networking and civic engagement in the young men in their program.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic