BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

In Positive Black Stories News.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In Positive Black Stories News.....
    Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 12:50pm

Man cleans room, finds $1 million lottery ticket

Gregory Jarrett

This should get a few people to tidy up their house.

Decatur resident Gregory Jarrett, 26, found a forgotten, winning $1 million Powerball ticket while cleaning his room.

“I was sitting on the ticket and didn't even know it,” Jarrett said. 

Jarrett matched the first five winning numbers in the Jan. 15 drawing and claimed his prize Feb. 18.

He bought the ticket at the Northside Food Mart in the 500-block of 548 Northside Drive N.W.

He used his siblings' birthdays when selecting the winning numbers.

“I called for my mom, and I walked toward her, shaking,” he recalled. “She verified it, and at that point, we hugged.”

Jarrett said he will pay off bills with the winnings. 

Saturday’s Powerball jackpot is an estimated $60 million to a single annuity winner. The Mega Millions game is up to $216 million for Friday's drawing.

If a 6-Year-Old Can Help His City, Why Can't You?

If a 6-Year-Old Can Help His City, Why Cant You?

Blake Ansari is only six-years-old, but he's already done something to make his city better.

The first-grader, who attends the Metropolitan Montessori School on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, had been thinking this winter about other kids in his city, kids who didn’t have the kind of life he has. Homeless kids.

Late last year, Blake started to understand that some children in New York City didn’t have a place to live, and were sleeping with their families in shelters or on the streets. There are a lot of homeless kids in New York these days, about 22,000 of them by most recent count, more than at any time since the Great Depression. And the number has been going up.

Blake’s father, Nuri Ansari, works developing programs for the homeless and the formerly incarcerated. To help Blake understand the issue better, his mother, Starita Boyce Ansari, showed him the multipart New York Times story about a homeless girl named Dasani that came out in early December. She says her son was immediately concerned about the well-being of kids living in substandard shelters.

One thing about these children’s lives was especially troubling. “That means they don’t have a library,” Blake said to his mother.

He wanted to give them one.

It was too late to make the gift for Christmas or Kwanzaa, but Starita Ansari started making some phone calls to see if maybe something could be done in time for Valentine’s Day. She had trouble finding a shelter that would take the donations, but with some help from the office of Manhattan borough president Gale Brewer, the Ansaris located the PATH emergency family shelter in the Bronx, which said it would be happy to accept.

And then Blake started gathering books. Some came from his classmates. About 200 were donated by family friend Bob Gore. And even more were collected by the office of city councilmember Helen Rosenthal from neighbors of Blake’s school on the Upper West Side, including the Children’s Museum of Manhattan.

Altogether, the drive netted some 600 books, which will be given out to children who go through the intake process at PATH and be theirs to keep. Blake and his family took the books to PATH in time for Valentine’s Day. He was happy, but he still wants to do more, maybe to build a real library. His mother says he put it this way: "When you listen to the community, learn from the community, and help the community, you connect to your best self."

Starita Ansari says she wants her son’s book drive to raise awareness of the severity of the homeless problem in the United States, where nearly 1.2 million school-age children were homeless in 2011, the latest year for which complete numbers are available. She also wants it to serve as a call to action. “Homeless children are America’s black eye, and America doesn’t want to talk about it,” she says. “If a 6-year-old can respond to the education needs of homeless children, then why can’t we as adults?” 

Jayden and Amaya were just 12 and 11-Years-Old when they became the youngest certified food truck owners in Memphis, Tennessee by creating their own business called “Kool Kidz Sno Konez.” 

Their mom suggested that they try to make their own money and they both began to brainstorm ideas and eventually came up with producing their own snow cones.

They started out with just a table and an extension cord out front their home, Jaden and Amaya got some of their friends to wave signs on corners to attract customers.
    Success came fast and over 2 summers they earned enough money that their Mom felt they could afford a food truck.

An ordinance in Memphis allows them to own and work out of the food truck. The food Truck met the Health Department standards and Jaden and Amaya are officially licensed business operators. They look forward to weather heating up as Spring approaches. Their goal is to have a franchise of Trucks and Shops so that when they get older they can work smart instead of having to work hard.

THAT'S WHAT'S UP!!!! ClapClapClapClap

Sponsored Links

ms_wonderland View Drop Down
      Elite Member
      Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 12:53pm
      that lottery ticket story doesn't make me happy at all, it should've been me. lol 

proud of little Blake though. Clap
      Lilaca View Drop Down
      Elite Member
      Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 1:09pm
      MY PEOPLE....

Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 1:10pm
      lol @ paying bills....dude bout to hit up Magic City and act a fool
      Miss B View Drop Down
      Elite Member
      Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Miss B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 1:15pm
      I'm very proud of the kids out here making things happen.

I have to admit....I got a little stuck at Dasani. Dasani??? Really now?
      Az~Maverick View Drop Down
      Elite Member
      Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 1:19pm
      Originally posted by Miss B Miss B wrote:

Mama looked at the water bottle when she was born...Sleepy j/k LOL

Nonetheless, I love reading these uplifting stories about our people! Clap

Edited by Az~Maverick - Feb 28 2014 at 2:16pm
      decemberdiamond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote decemberdiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 2:53pm
      I love the little boys story and the food truck, but the fact that the lottery winner is 26 and still at home cleaning his room AND said he is just going to pay bills...he got $600,000 worth of bills?! lies
      herwoman View Drop Down
      Elite Member
      Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 3:17pm
      Originally posted by Az~Maverick Az~Maverick wrote:

Originally posted by Miss B Miss B wrote:

Mama looked at the water bottle when she was born...Sleepy j/k LOL

Nonetheless, I love reading these uplifting stories about our people! Clap

Dasani was named after a water that her mom couldn't afford,"luxury water."
      creole booty View Drop Down
      Elite Member
      Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 3:46pm
      He's so cute
      Faithfully2002 View Drop Down
      Elite Member
      Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faithfully2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 3:48pm
      Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
      House of CB London
      Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
      The Elite Hair Care Sorority
      Electric Cherry Hair
      Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
      Human Hair Wigs
      Wefting Training
      Dependable Quality Hair
      Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
       Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
        Share Topic