BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"i'm not your slave and you're not my master."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:42am
Originally posted by Positive K Positive K wrote:

yea i think maybe some of yall wanted this film to be a "slave revolt" movie when that was never its true intention...so naw Django wasn't gonna rally up slaves and start up a rebellion...it was strictly about him getting his woman....this wasn't a black empowerment film

Yeah I think that would have been great, actually. I think the fact that QT made this a film solely about getting his woman against the backdrop of American slavery almost made the entire story too easy for me. 

And I also have a problem with this film being marketed as "important" in black media. Kathy Hughes and all of them saw the movie before Christmas and still marketed it a certain way, and they were wrong for that. There was absolutely no takeaway, and while I think that, for what it was, it was a decent movie, it was as unimportant as pretty much every other movie out here.
Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:47am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

django was uppity?

i thought he had a role to play

act too slaveish and you were a dead man, being a sympathetic niguh would have been seen as aweakness like how are you a sympathetic niguh and here you are trying to play the role of a mandigo fight master? no comprende no?

i do agree that he could have been more helpful to the other slaves being transported or banded up with them

the one thing that stuck out to me though was as much s he was a free man, he still took orders from dr schultz

but tbh i never looked that much into the movie

And the exact same thing can be said about Steven (Samuel L.), yet everyone hates his character. Steven was playing a role, looking out for himself, making sure that since he has to be a slave he's going to get the best life he can get. Every slave in that house was forced to play a role yet that makes neither them nor Django, nor this entire movie any more likeable to me.

I disagree though, Steve Ruckus was just a plain coon. House slave who fell victim to white supremacist ideals and was willingly subservient to "massa" not only to look out for himself but because he genuinely felt that way.

He outright looked out for Candie. Was greatly bothered by Django being treated as an equal. Exposed Django and Schultz's plan. Grew suspicious of his wife. Showed genuine mourning when Candie got shot. Cursed Django and praised the white man until he got blown up.

Old man, even when in the position of being free and no longer having a white master to serve defended his oppressors. He did not change at all. It's like a sick racial stockholm syndrome.

One thing that I dislike about this movie is that it's not meant to be "that deep," and unlike the way that it was marketed, it wasn't meant to "spark discussion" about history and slavery and blackness. In the way that Steven was presented, I see where you're coming from and think that you're correct. I also disagree with you.

I know that this was a film set in slavery, not a film about slavery. But I feel that in order to truly understand Steven's character, he can't only live in the universe of this movie. Of course he's nobody's hero, but a man who has learned to navigate the sadistic evils of slavery in order to survive. I believe that the utmost loyalty to the Candie family was his only way to ensure stability, to avoid torture and to make the best of the only life he knew, without a gun and a liberal white man. When Candie got shot, I'm pretty sure that he knew that he was going to be sold and life wouldn't be nearly as decent for him wherever he went. I don't admire Steven one bit but it begs the question, at least for me, how did slaves survive slavery? Run away (to where?), just endure it and hope that there's a Heaven, revolt, die, or pander to make sure your basic needs are met. What else?

Edited by BeatriceBean - Jan 14 2013 at 6:36am
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 6:28am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

Real talk, I would have loved a revolt.

I was already clapping with glee whenever Django whooped white ass, me making white audience members uncomfortable with pleasure, but a revolt would have had me straight cheering.

Is there a great movie about Nat turner out? Because django was a non-empathetic movie from a white mans point of view...
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 8:05am
yeah bb his me me me attitude kept me from relating to him or even being all that happy when he got his woman back...i usually drop a few tears during the cescendo of  movies with this sort of reuniting.  not one single tear was shed in this case...
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 10:18am
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

yeah bb his me me me attitude kept me from relating to him or even being all that happy when he got his woman back...i usually drop a few tears during the cescendo of  movies with this sort of reuniting.  not one single tear was shed in this case...

Yeah. I was happy for him, but I was ultimately left with a meh

I was disappointed that Kerry didn't have a bigger role, too, as much as they hyped her up.

Edited by BeatriceBean - Jan 14 2013 at 10:22am
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 10:20am
yep...i smiled but was not moved with emotion...

i wanted kerry to have a bigger role as well...
iGotSunshine View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iGotSunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

To the people who dislike the movie, can you give specific reasons why you don't like it? Like specific scenes and whatnot? I'm just really trying to understand why people are so up in arms about this film. 

I read the article that Alias posted but I still don't understand the gripe. The person who wrote th piece kept talking bout how the film denies the viewer of this, makes the viewer insensitive to that but I'm like...dude, how you gone tell me how I interpreted the movie? LOL 

While I agree that Django is far from a masterpiece,  it really isn't that deep to me but I'd like to understand other people's perspectives. 

but I didn't like that he didn't tell the three men being transported to the mine to go, to look for the north star or anything. I didn't like that he didn't work with any of the slaves. I think that it would have been awesome to have had a band of rogue slaves, or even a few, just fvcking up shyt. But to me, he just seemed like most uppity negroes who feel powerful because they're in with the white man, who use whatever power they have to get what they want (Broomhilda in this case) then go about their business then go on their merry way. And I don't know that it wasn't an accident. I feel like it could have been more interesting...or even just more entertaining...if it weren't just Django being unchained. 

But oh well.

yes that was cold. 

noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 7:56pm
Good discussion. Too bad I'm late and too tired to add much. 

I did want to know how everyone interpreted that "pre Klan" rally bit. I was dying laughing but at the same time I think there was a bigger message in that scene that people may have overlooked. I thought it was a brilliant in its description of the racist white men being, not some big ugly scary looking, intimidating monsters but  just the regular, goofy, dumb,nerdy and dumb white dudes that we all come across everyday. 

Too tired to expound but did anyone else pick up on that?
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 4:52am
yeah i noticed that too and i laughed a lot!

it was quite a trending post on tumblr!

and i agree with your analysis, the klan wasnt some big scheme it was just a bunch of bumbling fools who used scare tactics

it was one of the better points on the ecreen.

also the betina, scene, when don johnson says dont treat him like no ordinary nicca, but you cant treat him like white folk neither, (that once a nicca always a nicca moment)

the more i think about it, the more i actually didnt want jamie fox to get his wife in the end, that was a tad bit too cliche as would have been keeping dr schultz alive.

my s.o pointed something out, she said, he is supposed to be this bad ass sharpshooting supernegro with relfexes of note, yet it was inevitable that after schultz shot candy he was bound to be shot. where were those sharp shooting quick reflexes?
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 4:58am
So I watched the movie earlier.
It's a comedic western style movie that happens to deal with slavery.
I enjoyed it....though I could have done without all the blood splatter. 

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic