BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

"i'm not your slave and you're not my master."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
iBetYouhNvNika View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iBetYouhNvNika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:37am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

django was uppity?

i thought he had a role to play

act too slaveish and you were a dead man, being a sympathetic niguh would have been seen as aweakness like how are you a sympathetic niguh and here you are trying to play the role of a mandigo fight master? no comprende no?
Sponsored Links

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:40am
but damn steven, lol

i wonder if they got aaron mcgruder to write his lines,

then again, sam was ed wunclers sidekick's voice in the boondocks

that was funny and that nicca sholl was uppity
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 4:23am

django was uppity?

act too slaveish and you were a dead man, being a sympathetic niguh would have been seen as aweakness like how are you a sympathetic niguh and here you are trying to play the role of a mandigo fight master? no comprende no?

i do agree that he could have been more helpful to the other slaves being transported or banded up with them

the one thing that stuck out to me though was as much s he was a free man, he still took orders from dr schultz

but tbh i never looked that much into the movie

And the exact same thing can be said about Steven (Samuel L.), yet everyone hates his character. Steven was playing a role, looking out for himself, making sure that since he has to be a slave he's going to get the best life he can get. Every slave in that house was forced to play a role yet that makes neither them nor Django, nor this entire movie any more likeable to me.

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 4:37am
good point BB

i think in django's case it was that we see his persecution throughout the entire movie, he becomes endearing. whereas steven, well, we saw no redeeming qualities about him, nothing was endearing to his character.

two sides of the same coin though
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 4:47am
Uppity ass negro!! LOL 
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:06am
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

django was uppity?

i do agree that he could have been more helpful to the other slaves being transported or banded up with them

the one thing that stuck out to me though was as much s he was a free man, he still took orders from dr schultz

but tbh i never looked that much into the movie

And the exact same thing can be said about Steven (Samuel L.), yet everyone hates his character. Steven was playing a role, looking out for himself, making sure that since he has to be a slave he's going to get the best life he can get. Every slave in that house was forced to play a role yet that makes neither them nor Django, nor this entire movie any more likeable to me.

I disagree though, Steve Ruckus was just a plain coon. House slave who fell victim to white supremacist ideals and was willingly subservient to "massa" not only to look out for himself but because he genuinely felt that way.

He outright looked out for Candie. Was greatly bothered by Django being treated as an equal. Exposed Django and Schultz's plan. Grew suspicious of his wife. Showed genuine mourning when Candie got shot. Cursed Django and praised the white man until he got blown up.

Old man, even when in the position of being free and no longer having a white master to serve defended his oppressors. He did not change at all. It's like a sick racial stockholm syndrome.
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:13am
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

To the people who dislike the movie, can you give specific reasons why you don't like it? Like specific scenes and whatnot? I'm just really trying to understand why people are so up in arms about this film. 

I read the article that Alias posted but I still don't understand the gripe. The person who wrote th piece kept talking bout how the film denies the viewer of this, makes the viewer insensitive to that but I'm like...dude, how you gone tell me how I interpreted the movie? LOL 

While I agree that Django is far from a masterpiece,  it really isn't that deep to me but I'd like to understand other people's perspectives. 

*SPOILERS*

I just saw the movie for the first time and I want to get my major gripes with this film out while they're still fresh.

I didn't mind the gratuitous use of the "n-word" or the violence...in fact I loved the violence and I normally don't. To be truthful, I didn't really even mind all that much that a film that supposedly stars Jamie Foxx is was still very much a white savior film. I think that I took it for exactly what it is, a non-historical "cowboy" piece set in the antebellum South, a piece of entertainment, a QT film, and I still don't like it. My husband loves it. 

I don't see Django and Steven as two radically different characters, and that's why I found it hard to root for Django. Make no mistake, I loved seeing him kill all those whiteys. I know that his main focus was getting his wife back, but it seemed obvious to me that he didn't really give two shyts about any of the other black people in the film. Steven used his position with Candie to make life harder for the other slaves, but ultimately he was still a slave trying to protect himself. Django's character is actually somewhat disturbing to me because he was a free man (yeah, and I know, 1858 Mississippi), and his position with Dr. Schulz gave him a great deal of leverage, far beyond the slaves and even above the bottom of the barrel white people. But he used his advantage and his access to down-talk the slaves when he JUST became free, and he didn't let Schulz buy D'artagnan so that he wouldn't be eaten by the dogs. That was just it for me.  

According to my husband, I'm reading way too much into this but I didn't like that he didn't tell the three men being transported to the mine to go, to look for the north star or anything. I didn't like that he didn't work with any of the slaves. I think that it would have been awesome to have had a band of rogue slaves, or even a few, just fvcking up shyt. But to me, he just seemed like most uppity negroes who feel powerful because they're in with the white man, who use whatever power they have to get what they want (Broomhilda in this case) then go about their business then go on their merry way. And I don't know that it wasn't an accident. I feel like it could have been more interesting...or even just more entertaining...if it weren't just Django being unchained. 

But oh well.

You know, you make very good points and I too had similar thoughts while watching the film though I enjoyed it. But Django really could have been more sympathetic and help out other slaves.
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:18am
Originally posted by PeacefulOne PeacefulOne wrote:

I haven't see the movie yet.   

QT is a strange dude, and eccentric, but I can say one thing I know to be true: HE IS NOT A RACIST. 

I think in a way,  he has forgotten that he is white.  He will pop off saying things  and think nothing about it until someone says, hey man, wtf?  He is very cameleon like.  He is wierd, but HOLLYWOOD will do that to you.  That's why I don't live there anymore.

As someone has said, his movies have been controversial from the beginning of his career.  He often goes against the grain and does sh1t cause he can, and because he dares to.  He also keeps a lot of black folks working in film.  White Hollywood is none to pleased about it, but when the money comes rolling in they shut up and stick out their hands for a piece of the action.  I take the publicity with a grain of salt.  It's entertainment, not real.  But that doesn't mean that sh1t can't portray what happened irl. 

I love Tarantino, but he used to be very ignorant when it came to race. But these days, it's clear the man definitely knows better and has learned quite a lot about the dynamics of race and racism in America.

Did anyone see his little interview backstage in the golden globe awards where stars talk to the camera after getting their awards?

If you see how this man was dropping truth bombs about drugs and the modern day slavery that is jail that America actively seeks to throw black men in, you'd be surprised this is the same Quentin who felt so entitled earlier in his career.

He only repeated what has always been said but I'm glad he said it at the for the nation to hear.
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:21am
Real talk, I would have loved a revolt.

I was already clapping with glee whenever Django whooped white ass, me making white audience members uncomfortable with pleasure, but a revolt would have had me straight cheering.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:42am
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Uppity ass negro!! LOL 

stfu

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair