Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"i'm not your slave and you're not my master."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 1:58pm
How does what he said diminish slavery………….. Confused
Sponsored Links

jayjaynonie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jayjaynonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Midwest_Da_Gawd Midwest_Da_Gawd wrote:

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Originally posted by Midwest_Da_Gawd Midwest_Da_Gawd wrote:

I bought Django on bootleg last night just to spite that cracker.

why not ask for the thx dvd rip torrent?

Gotta support the ghetto hustlers.

I was like duh. lol I knew that was the answer to that ?

I agree I don't think it diminishes slavery either. I think he was trying to let the interviewer know that he couldn't goad him into a corner with those implications.

Edited by jayjaynonie - Jan 13 2013 at 3:36pm
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

Not shocked or surprised in the least.  
Nope. But it will probably help his image with some folk.LOLDead
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by fakeizme fakeizme wrote:

I think if Django was directed by a black man, a lot of these comments would be non-existent. African Americans don't seem to like the idea of a 'black movie' done by a white man. Then again, it doesn't seem like any black producers/directors are interested in doing a movie like this either.

Disagree. I don't think it's a lack of interest from the black directors but a blatant lack of interest from movie studios. Black films are no longer the big earners they once were. Unfortunately, audiences are now more biased to films they deem for black people.

Because of this, directing and releasing a black film like any other film these days is a harder challenge to achieve. A white and well-loved money-making director like Tarantino got this film on the silver screen with ease because Tarantino is white and known to give moviegoers a great show while pocketing their money. Django, despite the empowerment being advertised on black was clearly a film marketed for all to enjoy.
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:44pm
They were right about Roots, though.

Bigger man my ass, beat that pale motherfucker in!
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:45pm
Tyler Perry has the power and money and cache to make a serious powerful black movie.

I don't necessarily fault him for not doing so though,
That's not his wheelhouse,
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:52pm
God, I truly dislike this movie, like I knew I would. This whole ketchup-filled parody does not sit well with me. I tried to keep an open mind but I just don't get why people are raving about it. It's not the least bit empowering, if anything it makes slavery look like a joke because of the spaghetti western treatment and the graphic violence can't make up for that
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 5:15pm
To the people who dislike the movie, can you give specific reasons why you don't like it? Like specific scenes and whatnot? I'm just really trying to understand why people are so up in arms about this film. 

I read the article that Alias posted but I still don't understand the gripe. The person who wrote th piece kept talking bout how the film denies the viewer of this, makes the viewer insensitive to that but I'm like...dude, how you gone tell me how I interpreted the movie? LOL 

While I agree that Django is far from a masterpiece,  it really isn't that deep to me but I'd like to understand other people's perspectives. 
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Tyler Perry has the power and money and cache to make a serious powerful black movie.

I don't necessarily fault him for not doing so though,
That's not his wheelhouse,

That man doesn't have the talent. Dead Parp movies are his forte.
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

To the people who dislike the movie, can you give specific reasons why you don't like it? Like specific scenes and whatnot? I'm just really trying to understand why people are so up in arms about this film. 

I read the article that Alias posted but I still don't understand the gripe. The person who wrote th piece kept talking bout how the film denies the viewer of this, makes the viewer insensitive to that but I'm like...dude, how you gone tell me how I interpreted the movie? LOL 

While I agree that Django is far from a masterpiece,  it really isn't that deep to me but I'd like to understand other people's perspectives. 

*SPOILERS*

I just saw the movie for the first time and I want to get my major gripes with this film out while they're still fresh.

I didn't mind the gratuitous use of the "n-word" or the violence...in fact I loved the violence and I normally don't. To be truthful, I didn't really even mind all that much that a film that supposedly stars Jamie Foxx is was still very much a white savior film. I think that I took it for exactly what it is, a non-historical "cowboy" piece set in the antebellum South, a piece of entertainment, a QT film, and I still don't like it. My husband loves it. 

I don't see Django and Steven as two radically different characters, and that's why I found it hard to root for Django. Make no mistake, I loved seeing him kill all those whiteys. I know that his main focus was getting his wife back, but it seemed obvious to me that he didn't really give two shyts about any of the other black people in the film. Steven used his position with Candie to make life harder for the other slaves, but ultimately he was still a slave trying to protect himself. Django's character is actually somewhat disturbing to me because he was a free man (yeah, and I know, 1858 Mississippi), and his position with Dr. Schulz gave him a great deal of leverage, far beyond the slaves and even above the bottom of the barrel white people. But he used his advantage and his access to down-talk the slaves when he JUST became free, and he didn't let Schulz buy D'artagnan so that he wouldn't be eaten by the dogs. That was just it for me.  

According to my husband, I'm reading way too much into this but I didn't like that he didn't tell the three men being transported to the mine to go, to look for the north star or anything. I didn't like that he didn't work with any of the slaves. I think that it would have been awesome to have had a band of rogue slaves, or even a few, just fvcking up shyt. But to me, he just seemed like most uppity negroes who feel powerful because they're in with the white man, who use whatever power they have to get what they want (Broomhilda in this case) then go about their business then go on their merry way. And I don't know that it wasn't an accident. I feel like it could have been more interesting...or even just more entertaining...if it weren't just Django being unchained. 

But oh well.

Edited by BeatriceBean - Jan 13 2013 at 10:12pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair