Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Im getting a kitty tomorrow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 10 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
laceyfront View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laceyfront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:55am
Originally posted by MissCapricorn MissCapricorn wrote:

Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

eww cats

And I second that smelling like yt motion
What does it smell like, I have a cold right now or it could be my allergies cause Im a little bit allergic to dogs and cats. My family is saying cats stink and they wont be visiting very often Cry I swear I never smelled a cat before.
Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laceyfront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

aw i want a cat :(
You should get one he is so playful!
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laceyfront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:58am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Originally posted by laceyfront laceyfront wrote:

Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

You don't "train" them. They instinctively know how to do it themselves
They usually know with minimal guiding. The most I have had to do is sit them in the box and rub a little litter on them. Sounds silly but it works.

Lacey like Purp said, get Frontline for fleas. Get them at the vet and once you are familiar with being a cat owner, you can buy them online for cheaper.

OT: I literally had a kitten who knew where to potty at and still went to the corner of the living room and took a huge dump. The box was clean, the house was quiet and he knew where to go but he was like 'naw, behind the couch looks good to me'.LOL
ok! He finally went to the potty, I was worried at first.

Thanx guys, I love his stripes he reminds me of a cat the people I used babysit for had, he was super fat and old and would sit on my lap for hours and let me rub him. The other cat was like Bytch please when I tried that LOL 
LOL Awww, welcome to owning a cat.
When that cat died I was upset for a minute, I think I liked him more than those bad azz kids LOL
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 1:08am
^LOL

Litter boxes will smell *if* you don't get the right litter that absorbs smell and moisture, you don't sift his box at least once a day or if you don't change the litter often. Other than that, it is smooth sailing.

Since he is small, it'll be hard for his little cute self to cause trouble with the box anytime soon.Smile

Edited by carolina cutie - May 25 2013 at 1:09am
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 1:16am
Just like any other animal, a cat will only stink if you don't take care of it and don't clean its litter box.  Unless they knew before hand, no one has ever guessed that there is a cat in the house.
Organic View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Organic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 2:00am
OMG look at that baby Cry. He is just the most precious thing. Gah.

Congrats on your new feline companion, Lacey Hug. I've had my little guy for almost a year now, and every day is more fun than the last. It really does only get better!

I agree with CC and TokyoRose on keeping the litter box clean. Before I had a pet, I was one of those people who felt certain that any household with a pet - specifically a cat - would be smelly. How arrogant of me LOL. I could not have been more mistaken! There isn't any 'pet' scent in here at all - which was a welcomed surprise to me because I don't do so well with foul odours LOL

My SO found our cat outside a night club (Sleepy) when he was a just little kitten, so we weren't prepared at all for an animal. We hadn't done any research, so we ended up having a 'crash course' in how to take care of a cat. Here are some of the most important things we've learned that I'll share with you Big smile.

1. It is vitally important that you get your little kitty used to being touched now that he is young. Hold him and rub him a lot, paying particular attention to areas that cats generally do not like being touched - their bellies and those cute little paws Embarrassed. This will make things like going to the vet for an exam or clipping his claws a lot easier and pain free in the future. Our vet told us this the day after we got our cat, and it has been a life saver. We clip his claws with no problems at all - actually when he sees us going for the clippers, he pads towards us and holds his paw in the air ready for his manicure LOL. It literally takes only seconds to do, but he will fall asleep or purr while we are clipping his claws. I'd recommend getting a clipper with a guard on it to prevent cutting the claw too closely. Cats have a thin layer of skin running through their nails called 'quick' that tapers off toward the end of the claw, and you don't want to cut that quick it because it will hurt them (not badly, but still LOL). He also doesn't mind his belly being touched. When he's asleep, I kiss his belly or rub it - he doesn't complain at all. He is very used to us touching him now, so going to the vet is a breeze. And seriously, cat bellies are so cute and soft, you're gonna wanna pet it sometimes LOLTouching your kitty now will also allow you to become familiar with his body in case anything 'abnormal' happens in the future. If he's got a lump or bump, you will know it isn't supposed to be there. 

2. Get him accustomed to water NOW if you want to bathe him going forward LOL. You can wash him with dawn dish detergent - the blue one - as it is gentle enough to bathe kittens and cats. In case you are like us and want to bathe your cat at times, getting him used to water now (and not using water as punishment) will make bath time a lot easier. We "submerge" our cat once a month to cut down on the shed fur. He doesn't mind that either. 

3. Finding the right litter may take some time Confused. It took us nearly 2 months before we settled on Feline Pine with the accompanying Feline Pine litter box. All the other cat litters had high floral or strong "clean" scents that were overpowering. He would come out of the litter box smelling like the litter - ConfusedLOL. I didn't like that at all. Depending on your lifestyle, it may take you a while to settle on a litter that is right for you and kitty.

4. Cats have something called a "mad half-hour". What in the actual hell Confused. This is when the cat will literally BLAZE through your house meowing and yowling loudly - running and zipping back and forth, darting in and out of corners and down stairs as if he is possessed. It lasts only briefly (5 - 10  minutes or so), and can occur at 2 pm or 2 am Stern Smile. I actually had to Google this because I thought he had gone mad LOLApparently it is a way for kitty to release all that stored energy from sleeping all day LOL.

5. Get to know his body language by being interactive with him. Cats are really smart and will "entice" you into playing. If he stares at you and meows slightly and jumps - he's saying "Hey, chase me! Chase me!". Our cat does this and I will jet off after him like a bat out of hell! He runs and slides under the bed - I'll jump on top the bed and wait for him to run out - as soon as he runs, I'll chase him and then I'll hide - he'll stalk and find me - it is fun and a serious workout LOL. But seriously, knowing your cat's behaviour will help you discern his moods or if he is ill. You can use this to your advantage should he ever get sick and you need to take him to the vet, you can describe the changes in his behaviour.

6. RESEARCH POISONOUS PLANTS!!! I don't know how I forgot this one smh. My house was like a jungle before we got this cat. Now, we only have one philodendron on top the book shelf Sleepy. It's worth it, though. Some cats will chew on plants - especially when they are kittens - and some plants can be deadly to them.

7. Cats can fit anywhere. Seriously Stern Smile. Always check your closet before you close the door (as well as the bathroom, broom closet, laundry room, vestibule *sigh*, kitchen - anything with a door that closes, make sure you check that kittly isn't stowed away inside before leaving LOL). We don't "allow" the cat into our closet, but sometimes he sneaks inside when we are doing something in the closet and we won't see him for hours. Then, out of nowhere, a little paw will appear under the closet door begging us to let him out after he's had a nap inside the shoe cubbies Sleepy LOL. He actually attacked the buttons on a pair of pants I have hanging up - so yea, keep him out the closet lol.

Edited by Organic - May 25 2013 at 2:09am
Organic View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Organic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 2:11am
Oh, and this LOL. You will find out what this means soon enough Evil Smile

Edited by Organic - May 25 2013 at 2:22am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laceyfront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 10:36am
Thank you everybody, you guys made this so much easier for us! Thanks Organic but what does that look mean? Is he going to pounce for fun or anger LOL
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 10:54am
My cats always smelled like Baby powder... i don't know how considering that I rarely had any baby powder in my house Stern Smile
Organic View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Organic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 11:41am
^ Same here, Alias. My kitty smells like baby powder as well - strange how that is. I do wipe his bum with baby wipes, but that shouldn't determine the scent of his fur lol.

Lacey, maybe both Evil SmileLOL. You may be asleep and one of your fingers just happens to creep under the sheets, and kitty will be right there to attack it lol.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>