Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

‘Im 124 sandwiches away from an engagement ri

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.40  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ‘Im 124 sandwiches away from an engagement ri
    Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 9:41pm

My boyfriend, Eric, is the gourmet cook in our relationship, but he’d always want me to make him a sandwich.

Each morning, he would ask, “Honey, how long you have been awake?”

“About 15 minutes,” I’d reply.

“You’ve been up for 15 minutes and you haven’t made me a sandwich?”

To him, sandwiches are like kisses or hugs. Or sex. “Sandwiches are love,” he says. “Especially when you make them. You can’t get a sandwich with love from the deli.”

One lazy summer afternoon just over a year ago, I finally gave in. I assembled turkey and Swiss on toasted wheat bread. I spread Dijon mustard generously on both bread slices, and I made sure the lettuce was perfectly in line with the neatly stacked turkey slices.

Eric devoured the sandwich as if it were a five-star meal, diving in with large, eager bites. “Babes, this is delicious!” he exclaimed.

As he finished that last bite, he made an unexpected declaration of how much he loved me and that sandwich: “Honey, you’re 300 sandwiches away from an engagement ring!”

I paused.

Was our happily ever after as simple as making him a few sandwiches?

Our relationship has always centered on food. We met at a restaurant in Chelsea two years ago when a friend I was dining with spotted an Alexander Skarsgård look-alike. An introduction was made, and I found out he’s a computer programmer, a Taurus (or as he says, “What’s that sign for people who don’t believe in astrology?”), obsessed with “Star Wars” and a very good cook.

On our second date, he cooked me dinner — tuna tartare and fresh scallops on a tomato compote. More delicious meals, nearly all of them cooked by him, followed, and soon we were dating seriously. The fact that he could make a perfect filet mignon, not just order one in a steakhouse, was a big turn-on.

A year ago, we moved in together to a sleek place in Brooklyn. We’ve met each other’s parents, traveled internationally without strangling each other and successfully hosted many a dinner party.

Things were moving at a natural pace, but I wondered what it would take for him to propose. I’m in my mid-30s, and my parents have been happily married for more than 35 years. I have always valued the commitment and dedication it takes to get married and stay married. Call me old-fashioned, but I’d like to raise a family with someone who feels likewise.

Maybe I needed to show him I could cook to prove that I am wife material. If he wanted 300 sandwiches, I’d give him 300 sandwiches — and I’d blog about it.

I bought the 300sandwiches.com domain name and a Nikon DSLR. I perused tons of recipe sites and cookbooks for sandwich ideas. I asked friends for suggestions, but some, especially my single friends, were less than supportive of the idea.

“How ‘Stepford Wives’ of you!” said one single gal whose kitchen was used for shoe storage.

Another, a hard-working C-suite banking executive, also objected. “It’s not 1950!” she exclaimed. “It’s chauvinistic! He’s saying, ‘Cook for me, woman, and maybe I’ll make you my wife.’”

My own mother was doubtful. “Honey, can you even cook?” she asked.

“No, but I’ll learn!” I argued.

I started with the easy things. My second sandwich after the turkey and Swiss was a two-second ice-cream sandwich constructed from Anna’s ginger thin cookies and blackberry currant ice cream. My early thinking was quantity, not quality.

Ten sandwiches or so in, I did the math. Three sandwiches a week, times four weeks a month, times 12 months a year, meant I wouldn’t be done until I was deep into my 30s. How would I finish 300 sandwiches in time for us to get engaged, married and have babies before I exited my childbearing years?

My mother was the voice of reason. “Relationships are a marathon, not a sprint,” she said. “Take it one sandwich at a time.”

I made sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert. I made sandwiches to get myself out of the doghouse — like No. 67, a scrambled egg, smoked salmon and chive creation that combined some of Eric’s favorite things to make up for my being 45 minutes late for dinner the night before.

Even after covering movie premieres or concerts for Page Six, I found myself stumbling into the kitchen to make Eric a sandwich while I still had on my high heels and party dress.

Making all of these sammies, I’ve learned how much Eric loves sharing cooking with me. He enjoys going to the grocery store with me, picking out ingredients and planning dinners. Though I still want to get engaged and get married and live happily ever after, I’ve also put less pressure on the race to the 300th sandwich and I’m enjoying the cooking experience with Eric.

Today, I’ve made and blogged about 176 sandwiches. Over the months, my creations have grown more complex — lobster rolls, bánh mìs, pulled pork. No matter what’s on the menu, Eric smiles and says thank you. He’s just happy I cook for him at all.

“You women read all these magazines to get advice on how to keep a man, and it’s so easy,” he says. “We’re not complex. Just do something nice for us. Like make a sandwich.”

Edited by _ConcreteRose_ - Sep 25 2013 at 9:48pm
Sponsored Links

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (25) Thanks(25)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 9:45pm
Da phoque?  Whatever it takes to get that ring huh? 
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (17) Thanks(17)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 9:46pm
*Pulls up seat with a pitcher of tea*

Big smile
AshBash89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 9:48pm
I wouldn't do it but whatever works for them.  He isn't the least bit cute.

ETA: Her sandwiches look really good.

Edited by AshBash89 - Sep 25 2013 at 9:50pm
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 9:50pm
whoa, she seems way too good for this.  talk about a creeper.
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (22) Thanks(22)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 9:51pm
My hubby will slap that sandwich out my hand and tell me to go make rice with some sort of meat.
Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (45) Thanks(45)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 9:53pm
She would of been got the ring if she learned how to cook real meals and give some head...
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

She would of been got the ring if she learned how to cook real meals and give some head...

and with that Im donzo....LOL
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

Maybe I needed to show him I could cook to prove that I am wife material. If he wanted 300 sandwiches, I’d give him 300 sandwiches — and I’d blog about it.
 aight then, whatever works for ya. i personally think this "proof" lacks dimension and is obviously sexist on a level, but what do i know? i'm single. !! 
and of course, the awful part of me thought it would be funny if she left him/ he left her after sandwich 300. hahahah!! 
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

We met at a restaurant in Chelsea two years ago when a friend I was dining with spotted an Alexander Skarsgård look-alike. 
and she's not refering to dude in the pic above is she?  um no ma'am. !!!
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 10:01pm
She did not compare that mutha ta Alex......that deserves that longest side eye and to most confused WTF......bish done lost her whole mind.....
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>
  Share Topic