Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

If a child/teen is ashamed of being black

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 2.83  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Iowabred&fed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowabred&fed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I'd also say the parents have a lot to do with it but things can get problematic when a black child is raised in an all white environment. No matter how much praise and security they might get from the parents, they may have a difficult time adjusting until they at least reach adulthood.

+1,000
Sponsored Links

niecy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote niecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:10pm
I think it's a combination of the parents as well as the community the child is raised in.
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

The parents.

This and their siblings and society and the child .

Agreed, as much as it's the parents' responsibility to instill cultural pride in their child, it's also society at large's (both the AA and mainstream) to embrace differences as well as provide a positive image for its members to hold onto.
princesshoneybee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote princesshoneybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

media.

i cant blame parents. i know kids lookin at white princesses all the time think thats the way its suppose to be. this is before tiana. (im speaking of young kids though. teens form their own ideas)

thank you thank you thank you. THIS WAS MY CHILDHOOD PROBLEM
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:52pm
I would also add from personal experience, it's hard to foster true universal racial pride within the AA community when even within our own ranks we have a subset that despises anything they deem as not black, and sadly the things being considered "not black" ARE NOT things you should be telling someone NOT to do. And by default, with their mindset the things considered "black" are embarrassments or NOT ideal for the progress/prosperity of the AA community overall.

I definitely was called "acting white" for being a hard worker in school. For not speaking in the stereotypical AA vernacular. Where did we go wrong as a culture when working hard in school and not hanging on a corner suddenly became "acting white"?
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 12:13am
No one kids go through all kind of phases.
nycdiva357 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 12:14am
everyone
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 12:18am
Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

I think everyone is right here. But the issue isn't blame because its a larger picture. The issue is how do you fight it?

I like this answer
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 12:19am
black people in part.. but also the parents for not instilling self confidence in the child 

Edited by coconess - Feb 09 2013 at 12:20am
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 12:21am
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

I would also add from personal experience, it's hard to foster true universal racial pride within the AA community when even within our own ranks we have a subset that despises anything they deem as not black, and sadly the things being considered "not black" ARE NOT things you should be telling someone NOT to do. And by default, with their mindset the things considered "black" are embarrassments or NOT ideal for the progress/prosperity of the AA community overall.

I definitely was called "acting white" for being a hard worker in school. For not speaking in the stereotypical AA vernacular. Where did we go wrong as a culture when working hard in school and not hanging on a corner suddenly became "acting white"?

Nvm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic